Brewer Fanatic

Doug Melvin: Is he alive?

lithium75

Do we need to send someone to Doug Melvin's house? Is anyone certain he is still alive? He has been awful quiet during this very important stretch of the season, and when the media wanted to know about Yost's future, they asked our owner. Is DM ok, or is he suffering from spattergroit?

(added tag; unambigufied thread title --1992casey)

Yeah, I am not sure what you expect that he should be doing. Any public communications he's likely to have would either be bland platitudes or completely counterproductive. If he were planning to fire Yost, I think it's a bit unwise to annouce that this week, unless you think it will inspire the players to win one for the Nedster. (Which would make for an interesting story, to be sure, but still be pretty foolish.) At this point he has other stuff to do, and he's just got to watch the games like the rest of us to see how it turns out. Sure, he's probably working out potential post-season rosters, but that's again not something to discuss publicly.

Since the Brewers are in the race, the talk of next year, player moves, impending free agents -- all the stuff we've gotten used to hearing Doug Melvin talk about at this time of year -- is not the focus. That time will come, just not 'til later.

I guess my reaction to the initial question is that it seems to me to be about as relevant as those folks wanting to see Ned Yost be more emotional in the dugout. The important thing is that each guy's doing their job to the utmost, not the face time they get (or what their face is looking like when they do get it).

The original question is a logical question given what shape the Brewers have typically been in by late September (or even late August in some years). It's just a different year.

"...and I'm a big believer that Chris [Capuano] maybe should've stayed in the rotation, but I understand, you know, why we did it. Um, and then we started tinkering with the rotation, and then Villanueva went into the rotation later on after we sent him down, and then Gallardo went into the rotation by need because of Ben Sheets and I - I just think that you become a weaker - uh, there's some weaker links then in the bullpen, and that I think ended up happening.

I think that if we could've - you want 100 starts out of your top three starters. They have to stay injury-free, they have to perform well, and if we'd been able to just keep Gallardo and Villanueva in the bullpen, they'd have given us those innings - to get to the 8th and 9th inning, which has probably hurt us the most - the 6th and 7th inning. So I think the rotation, overall, has hurt us a little bit in that regard, and there's not much you can do about it - you just go out there and play."

-- Doug Melvin

Sounds like Melvin is not exactly on the same page with Yost in every respect (not that anyone necessarily expected 100% agreement). Namely, the decision to move Cappy out of the rotation. It seems like Melvin is fully aware (not that I'm surprised) of the bad luck and poor fielding behind Chris this season, and I wonder how much keeping Capuano in the rotation may have impacted the toll on our younger arms this season (and aided our bullpen). Total 20/20, I know, but it was shocking for me to hear those words drop from Doug's mouth.

EDIT: Prince Fielder has "you know...", Doug Melvin has "and that..." - used identically. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am still sort of on the fence about taking Cappy out of the rotation. He had 4 really good starts that got wasted(7+ innings, 2 or fewer runs) during his 16 game losing streak. I think Villanueva absolutly saved our pen in the first half. He was used as a stopper, which our team now lacks, and pitched in many important innings. He even came in to relieve Turnbow and stop a rally at least once. Seeing as Gallardo turned out to be pretty good as well, I have very little doubt that Capuano being taken out of the rotation had at least some ripple effect.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

my thought was that when the media was asking about Yost's job security, the only responses came from our owner. I found it odd that no one asked our GM for his opinion. Granted, I live in California and don't get to hea any Milwaukee radio stations, but was expecting a comment or two somewhere from DM.

I don't know but perhaps Doug made it clear he wouldn't field questions about Ned's status. It could also be that he never thought there was a need to give him an endoresment. The only guys who get votes of confidence are guys who are obviously on the hot seat. While some fans may think he is I never got the feeling Melvin felt he was.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 2 months later...

Archived