Brewer Fanatic

Cubs Vs. Marlins (Potential Make up game?)

Klements Bratwurst

I saw this on the Cubs "Inside the Ivy" Board, at it looks like South Florida is expecting a ton of rain the next two days. The posters are speculating that the game might not have to be played if it doesn't matter, but if it does indeed need to be played, it could be a lot of travel for Chicago if they have to come back to Florida. What about a tiebreaker game having to be played at Wrigley against the Crew? Wasn't that going to be the Monday after the regular season (if in fact the Goat Curse comes once again to haunt the Cubs?)

Throwing it out to the Brewerfan.net peanut gallery, what do you think of the positives/negatives of this?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Move the games to Tampa, have 'em play before the Yankee games.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My memory is horrible, so I may have just imagined this. Wasn't there a scenario not too long ago where a team had to play a make up game on the Monday after the last Sunday of the regular season? Then, depending on if they won or lost that game, they had to do a one game playoff against the team they tied with on that same day - a double header. I thought that either happened, or that it was a possibility going into the last weekend. I do not remember the teams involved. I want to say that it involved the Cubs....2003 maybe?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Positive is that it might wear down the Cubs. They have to travel back to Florida from Cinncy to play a Monday game and travel back to Chicago to play the make-up game on Tuesday (or even have their season over because of a loss http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif ). Meanwhile, the Brewers have been at home for a week and don't even have to really travel. Just take a team bus down there for an hour to play a quick game after an off day.

Negatives are how much are the Florida players going to play that game themselves? They might be worn down and not care too much about the outcome. Also, it delays the start of the Brewers post-season series by a day making us play later into the fall. Our opponents will also get an extra off-day before they face us.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I think what MLB would do is make-up the Cubs/Marlins game at Wrigley on Monday afternoon. Then, depending on the outcome of that game, they would play the Brewers afterwards. As I said in my previous post, I swear this scenerio happened or almost happened not too long ago.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think what MLB would do is make-up the Cubs/Marlins game at Wrigley on Monday afternoon. Then, depending on the outcome of that game, they would play the Brewers afterwards. As I said in my previous post, I swear this scenerio happened or almost happened not too long ago.

I don't think it's possible to change venues like that, is it? It would seem to give an unfair advantage to the Cubs.

I don't think it's possible to change venues like that, is it? It would seem to give an unfair advantage to the Cubs
Well, normally they would not. However, I would not put it past MLB to do this. They don't want to move back schedules. Although, there are always open dates in the playoffs(between games 2 and 3 of the NLDS) and I guess they could move games 1 and 2 back and then just not have a day off.

Also, don't the NLDS alternate, two on Tuesday and two on Wednesday? MLB could just have the Brewers play on the Wednesday start NLDS no matter the order of finish. The schedule isn't changed but the Brewers lose an off-day.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Patrick425 is probably remembering the Brewers-Reds game in Milwaukee that ended the 1999 season. The game was scheduled to start at 3 PM and play began close to 9 PM. Had it been impossible to get the game in, it would have been played Monday afternoon, and if all the "correct" teams won or lost, the one-game playoff would have had to be pushed back.

sgtcluels, games only have to be made up if they affect the pennant race. Teams in the race must complete the 162 game season; others don't.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The thing is, if there is rain there today and tomorrow, they would have to make up 2 games on that Monday, and then possibly a playoff on Tuesday. That's 3 games and lots of traveling in 2 days. I guess that would be to our benefit.

There is only one negative side to this that I see, and it really isn't a negative for the team. Milwaukee has been waiting 25 years for a post season appearance. The Cubs play an hour earlier than us on Sunday, so I was hoping to know our destiny before the game was over. Just imagine the crowd knowing the Brewers need to win to make the playoffs... or knowing they need a win to force a playoff game with the Cubs... or even better, knowing that whatever happens in that game, the Brewers are in the playoffs... or possibly knowing this team has put up one heck of a battle this year, and to thank them for the effort.

This is [crap]. Didn't the Cubs get punk'd by a hurricane in the final weeks of 2004?

Wow, these are the types of fans that give Cubs fans a bad name.

I would think if it came down to it and it couldn't be played in Miami, but needed to be, MLB would pick a neutral location for that game then, instead of back in Chicago. That's just speculation though.

I would also think that MLB officials would do all they can to get that game(s) in FLA played. If that means they don't start until 10pm EDT, so be it.

IIRC, the Cardinals only played 161 last year. They had a makeup game scheduled for the Monday after the regular season IF it was neccessary. Since the Cardinals clinched on the final Sunday (or maybe it was Saturday), they cancelled the makeup game.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm with JohnBriggs, I think they'll make sure to get the two Cubs-Marlins games in somehow, someway, and as noted, it could effect the Cubs travel plans getting to Cincy for the weekend series. The division is just too tight right now given the potential tie-breaker on Monday.

The radar looks better now than it did a couple of hours ago. Looks like it's still swirling around Miami, but also looks to be pushing east. Not that I'm a meteorologist or anything.

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/1f625849407d9f9390e1ccd3391afe566c0c05e.gif

I don't think it's possible to change venues like that, is it? It would seem to give an unfair advantage to the Cubs.

I swear a few years ago the Marlins and Cubs played a makeup game from Florida at Wrigley. It was during hurricane season and there was no hope of playing any games in Miami. So, I'm 90% certain this has happened before. It would be an unfair advantage, but it's not without precedent.

Addenda:

Here is an article stating that the games at Pro Player stadium would be postponed.

Here is the box score showing it was played at Wrigley.

yeah, but that was early September(between non-contenders, IIRC), not the final week of the pennant race. There would be some serious beefs to be had if they moved a game with serious playoff implications to Wrigley.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Patrick425, it's common practice to make up a game in the opponent's home park if the teams will be meeting in a subsequent series and the only series available is in the other city. I would think a game tacked onto the end of the season, however, would have to be in the place it was originally supposed to occur unless some really bizarre catastrophe intervenes.

Good call, pitchleague, on the Cards last year. If a team finishes far enough ahead of its runner-up, no makeup game would be necessary.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Yeah, you are probably right. They would probably try to avoid making it up at Wrigley under the circumstances. I'm hoping for a bunch of rain delays and late night games for the Cubs the next two days.

Patrick425, it's common practice to make up a game in the opponent's home park if the teams will be meeting in a subsequent series and the only series available is in the other city.
The 1982 Brewers had a road game vs. ChiSox rained out, to be made up the following weekend in Milwaukee. A five-game sweep! http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif

Archived