Brewer Fanatic

Fielder's 50th HR post-game comments (Merged: Cecil fires back)

temke

Feel free to lock/move this thread. I didn't look through the IGT or the other Prince threads...

Did anyone else catch the post game comments by Prince tonight in reference to his dad? They included:

-I will keep home run #52 because it is the one that will beat my dad. That will shut him up.

-If I win the MVP that is another thing that my dad didn't do, so it can shut him up again.

Then when asked if the comments were light hearted or serious, he replied "serious".

I know the guy has some problems with his dad, but that is pretty vindictive.

Edit: Clarification of the title. -Toby

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome Prince I love that, especially since Cecil is such a (something I can't say here) maybe the motivation will cause him to hit 25 homeruns the rest of the season to break Bonds' record. That would be something Cecil couldn't do either. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

He tries to but no one in the media ever gives up on that angle. Ever! He is Cecil's son so we must ask him about his dad. Prince has made it clear that he doesn't want to carry on about this but he is always asked. If he is finally "vindictively" telling his pops through the media to go suck a lemon then good. Only problem is they will never stop asking even though he doesn't have a relationship with Cecil.

Coincidentally, I was at urgent care with my daughter tonight paging through an old issue of S.I. Apparently there was a article on Prince in S.I. the week prior. The letters section had 3 letters bashing Prince for not making amends with his father. One of the letters stated that Prince is not a real leader because he cannot forgive his father. Another reader said he lost his father, and he misses spending time and playing catch with him. The third letter thought it was ridiculous that Prince had security remove his father from the ballpark.

The people who wrote the letters have no idea what Prince went through with his father. It's easy to second guess when you had a great relationship with your father.

I'm almost embarrassed for him when he's doing these interviews and every other word he says is YOU KNOW!!!

-"How does it feel to get to 50 HR?"

-"It feels great, you know. It means a lot more that I'm on a winning team you know. You know, it's fun to come to the ballpark when you have something to play for, you know."

Ugghhh, yes Prince, we know!!!! ....you know???

I'm almost embarrassed for him when he's doing these interviews and every other word he says is YOU KNOW!!!

-"How does it feel to get to 50 HR?"

-"It feels great, you know. It means a lot more that I'm on a winning team you know. You know, it's fun to come to the ballpark when you have something to play for, you know."

Ugghhh, yes Prince, we know!!!! ....you know???

Sometimes it's easy to forget that Prince is just 23. He's not going to be as polished as Derek Jeter behind a mic.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think Prince is a MAJOR breath of fresh air for the Brewers. We never had a positively and determined outspoken guy like Prince, ever. Plus, whenever Prince plays... I never really give it much of a thought that he is "Cecil's son" or Cecil as "Prince's dad."

Prince is his own man now. He knows it, and I bet the majority of Brewer fans know it. The only people who don't know it is the National media. Prince wants to be his own man without the mention of the bloodlines.

From the ESPN game article:

Prince Fielder didn't really want to keep his 50th home run ball as a souvenir.

The one he really wants is No. 52. And while he's at it, he wouldn't mind winning an MVP award -- all in the name of sticking it to his estranged father.

And he isn't kidding.

"No," Fielder said. "That's serious."

Fielder's reaction to becoming the youngest player ever to hit 50 homers in a season -- a feat he accomplished with two home runs in the Milwaukee Brewers' 9-1 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on Tuesday -- provided a telling glimpse into his fractured relationship with his father, former major leaguer Cecil Fielder.

Fielder said he wants to hit 52 homers in a season and win the MVP because his father never accomplished either. Doing that, Prince Fielder said, would "shut him up."

"That's why I'm so passionate about playing," Fielder said. "I don't mind them comparing me, but I'm totally a different player. Hopefully one day, whenever they mention my name, they won't have to mention his."

"...Hopefully one day, whenever they mention my name, they won't have to mention his."

For me, I can officially jot that day down as: 9/25/07. I know he hasn't passed him yet, and I certainly know the basics of the drama, but today for me is the day that Prince has become his own man - I agree 100% with jaybird.

Way to go Prince!

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/12/12241_large.jpg

Special.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Prince is young. I had the same problem as a speaker and I learned through my Public Relations courses at UW-Whitewater to do something about it and I changed a TON when I learned some new tactics. It won't take long before Prince learns them. Actually, I was the worst speaker, EVER, when I was 18 years old and I had a stuttering problem along with enunciating problems and UW-W basically taught me well in speaking in every regard. Prince will catch on, no worries.

Prince referred to Cecil after the game as "not really the brightest guy." That's cold, but I don't blame him for saying it. I just hope it doesn't cause a backlash against him.

This sort of cracked me up.

Not all of us have or had a great relationship with are parents.Some had none @ all. Kid has a right to how he feels. I'm glad he likes to take it out on the baseball.

Archived