Brewer Fanatic

9/26/2007 Cardinals (Thompson) at Brewers (Villanueva): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
wasn't on here last night, but if that hitting Puhols was intentional it doesn't make sense. He has great power and already had one homer, but to put a runner on with nobody on on purpose is insane. Bring in Turnbow and make him beat you. Plus we all know that Turnbow has trouble coming into a game with runners on. It justs seems we got what we earned last night. Now lets get them tonight.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That guy in the article was somewhat right that Yost kind of blew it with that call. But this part of the article made me mad:

It came down to this: with the Brewers trailing only 3-2 in the 8th, Yost brought a nondescript, disposable reliever into the game to pop STL's Albert Pujols with a pitch in obvious retaliation for the Cardinals' earlier plunking of Cecil Fielder.

He calls Prince, "Cecil". Now is that a shot at Prince or is the writer just an ignorant idiot to think it was Cecil Fielder?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The right moves were made tonight. Turnbow didn't come through. The Maddox/Sveum combination probably should have taken him out when the bases were loaded...or when the count was 2-0...or 3-0.

I think Turnbow got the jitters. He's still way too effective of a weapon to let go when he's on. He just needs a very short leash. More than 1 runner on, and he gets taken out.

The right moves were NOT made tonight.....bringing in Mcclung to intentionally hit pujols in the 8th inning with 1 out is nowhere close to the right move. What happened to yanking turnbow after the first sign of wildness (like yost and co have been doing lately) He even looked wild in the strikeout he recorded, I believe he threw 2 actual strikes (ball thrown in the strike zone) the entire time he was in. He should have been yanked after the bloop base hit, and there was no question what to do after the bases were loaded.....its disgusting that cordero was not even warming up

That guy in the article was somewhat right that Yost kind of blew it with that call. But this part of the article made me mad:

It came down to this: with the Brewers trailing only 3-2 in the 8th, Yost brought a nondescript, disposable reliever into the game to pop STL's Albert Pujols with a pitch in obvious retaliation for the Cardinals' earlier plunking of Cecil Fielder.

He calls Prince, "Cecil". Now is that a shot at Prince or is the writer just an ignorant idiot to think it was Cecil Fielder?

Ya, I couldn't decide on that either. It didn't seem he was ripping on the Brewers as a whole, just Yost's move, but it would be a pretty dumb mistake too. I'd have to lean on the side that it was intentional.

Ya, I couldn't decide on that either. It didn't seem he was ripping on the Brewers as a whole, just Yost's move, but it would be a pretty dumb mistake too. I'd have to lean on the side that it was intentional.

If it was intentional, then that is garbage to call him that. If it wasn't the guy is an idiot. So either way I hate him. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I believe the beaning of Pujols was intentional, and I really don't have a problem with it. I was praying that they wouldn't give him anything good to hit, and they didn't.

Now, to blame the whole 8th inning blowup on that is like the Cubs blaming Bartman on their playoff loss in 2003. The Cards had 2 outs with a runner on 1st, and scored 4 runs. The bullpen (Turnbow and Shouse, mainly) did not do its job.

The only thing that was done wrong was that Cordero should have been in once the bases were loaded. You won't have a more important at-bat, and the best pitcher should be in there.

Not to continue beating a dead horse but if you think about it, Turnbow probably would have walked Pujols anyways. I'm beginning to care less and less about whether it was intentional or not and care more and more that they didn't bring in Cordero.

With 2 outs and the bases loaded Cordero should have been in. We've seen him get out jams like that multiple times throughout the season and it just boggles my mind why you wouldn't put in someone who almost always has great control. Even if he had given up a hit or something, I wouldn't have been nearly as mad. He hasn't pitched since Saturday so why not give him a try? If you're managing every game like its your last, then that was the only option you should have considered at that point. Oh well.

Archived