Brewer Fanatic

9/26/2007 Cardinals (Thompson) at Brewers (Villanueva): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
It was planned.

I don't think it was planned that far in advance. I do believe it was planned to give Pujols a ride to first base, and that's not neccesairly a bad decision. Turnbow did get the strikeout and that some goofy little bloop hit. That is when Svuem should have taken him out. Put the blame on Svuem, unless of course you believe Yost was using a shortwave radio to get instructions to Svuem to leave Turnbow in.

If you want Svuem to take some blame there too, that's fine. I don't understand why you're sticking up for this move so much man. Seriously. We can pass blame all around, I don't care, doesn't change the fact that it was a bonehead thing for us to do.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It was planned.

I don't think it was planned that far in advance. I do believe it was planned to give Pujols a ride to first base, and that's not neccesairly a bad decision. Turnbow did get the strikeout and that some goofy little bloop hit. That is when Svuem should have taken him out. Put the blame on Svuem, unless of course you believe Yost was using a shortwave radio to get instructions to Svuem to leave Turnbow in.

Despite my fear of being called "freakin' naive", there's plenty of stories out there about and from managers (Earl Weaver being one) who manage from the clubhouse, by doing no more than shouting up the clubhouse tunnel, or having clubhouse personnel or other players relaying messages to the bench coach. It's really not that tough.

If we get a 5 run rally right here I will buy a Derrick Turnbow jersey. LOL

However if it is a 6 run rally and we win I won't, hahaha.

At least we have the guys coming up at the back end with some serious power.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

As far as who is making the decisions, even when a manager is thrown out, more times than not, he is still making the decisions. It's not that difficult to do. Many time they just stand in the hallway and it's not too hard to get word out to whoever is acting as manager. Don't know for sure if Yost is doing that, but that is what often happens.

Coco vs. anyone.
Well certainly. But you know those were the two options in Yosts' head. Of course I'd use Cordero, but I was just thinking of the scenarios that were actually possible.

I dont think that going to Coco was necessary. I believe that staying with Linebrink was the way to go.

By the way, I can't wait until someone next spring justifies TBow as the setup guy on here again. Someone will find some worthless stats to justify him. Sorry, I will not agree with that person and be called a bad fan, I'm sure.

I'll predict that the stat will be BAA.

Good point.

Hey everybody, what softball questions will Haudricourt and his cronies ask Yost tonight?

"Ahh, Ned, tough loss huh?"

Yost- "Yes it was. But we need to grind out the rest of the season."

Haudricourt- "You have to be encouraged by Carlos start."

Blah, blah, blah

Good point.Hey everybody, what softball questions will Haudricourt and his cronies ask Yost tonight?

"Ahh, Ned, tough loss huh?"

Yost- "Yes it was. But we need to grind out the rest of the season."

Haudricourt- "You have to be encouraged by Carlos start."

Blah, blah, blah

Thank you for giving me a laugh in what otherwise has been a horrible night.

Despite my fear of being called "freakin' naive", there's plenty of stories out there about and from managers (Earl Weaver being one) who manage from the clubhouse, by doing no more than shouting up the clubhouse tunnel, or having clubhouse personnel or other players relaying messages to the bench coach. It's really not that tough.

Ahh, my bad, all the answers.

Now after ripping Yost, to be fair, the Brewers blew chance after chance today and the bullpen once again failed. Frustrating game. I hope people get out their frustrations here today and look forward to tomorrow. It's a longshot, but they still have a chance. Today was bad, but at least the Cubs lost and overall I'd rather be in this position then already looking forward to next season like usual.

Now after ripping Yost, to be fair, the Brewers blew chance after chance today and the bullpen once again failed. Frustrating game. I hope people get out their frustrations here today and look forward to tomorrow. It's a longshot, but they still have a chance. Today was bad, but at least the Cubs lost and overall I'd rather be in this position then already looking forward to next season like usual.

Cubs may have lost but their magic number drops to 3 with our loss

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I don't have any way to watch this game, so I'm following on Gameday and this discussion.

Sounds like hitting Pujols was a dumb move. However, I don't understand how you blame Yost. If Yost intended for it to happen, he doesn't protest to the point of getting ejected. That much seems rather apparent.

They were losing, 3-2, and not hitting a lick when that HBP happened. The way the bats were going tonight, they'd've been lucky to claw back to tie. Only 11 baserunners, and almost all of them in the first half of the game, and clutch hitting that was back down in the toilet again. How many Brewers batters have gone down swinging against this awful Cardinals pitching staff?

After Ludwick struck out, there were two out and still only Pujols on first base. All they still have to do is get one stupid hitter out to end the inning.

But noooooo.... they give up 2 singles, 3 walks, and a bases-loaded double for 4 more runs before they can get the 3rd out. The biggest mistake again was leaving Turnbow in long enough to the edge of total disaster. And Yost was tossed out before that all happened. It's not Yost, folks. It's the crap bullpen. Shouse has been fantastic most of the year but lately he comes in and lets all the guys on base score -- very bad time for that trend. Turnbow can only pitch with guys on base if he's the pitcher that got 'em there, and even then too many still score. Shoot, why bother with Aquino? When it's gone this badly, why not let Matt Wise come in and see if he can't get someone out? What's to lose at this point.

Still, we can only hope that all the built-up crap happens tonight and they get it out of their collective systems, then get back to playing strong ball the last 4 games.

However, I don't understand how you blame Yost. If Yost intended for it to happen, he doesn't protest to the point of getting ejected. That much seems rather apparent.

He was ejected automatically since both benches were warned earlier . . .hence the thoughts that he planned the pitchers earlier since he KNEW he was going to get tossed.

I don't have any way to watch this game, so I'm following on Gameday and this discussion.

Sounds like hitting Pujols was a dumb move. However, I don't understand how you blame Yost. If Yost intended for it to happen, he doesn't protest to the point of getting ejected. That much seems rather apparent.

He got ejected right away because warnings had been issued to both dugouts after Fielder's plunking. Yost didn't even leave the dugout to argue. It's all on Yost.

They were losing, 3-2, and not hitting a lick when that HBP happened. The way the bats were going tonight, they'd've been lucky to claw back to tie. Only 11 baserunners, and almost all of them in the first half of the game, and clutch hitting that was back down in the toilet again. How many Brewers batters have gone down swinging against this awful Cardinals pitching staff?

After Ludwick struck out, there were two out and still only Pujols on first base. All they still have to do is get one stupid hitter out to end the inning.

But noooooo.... they give up 2 singles, 3 walks, and a bases-loaded double for 4 more runs before they can get the 3rd out. The biggest mistake again was leaving Turnbow in long enough to really screw things up. And Yost was tossed out before that all happened. It's not Yost, folks. It's the crap bullpen. Shouse has been fantastic most of the year but lately he comes in and lets all the guys on base score -- very bad time for that trend. Turnbow can only pitch with guys on base if he's the pitcher that got 'em there, and even then too many still score. Shoot, why bother with Aquino? When it's gone this badly, why not let Matt Wise come in and see if he can't get someone out? What's to lose at this point.

Still, we can only hope that all the built-up crap happens tonight and they get it out of their collective systems, then get back to playing strong ball the last 4 games.

Yost was thrown out because the benches were warned and Yost was jawing at Pujols as he walked to 1B

Archived