Brewer Fanatic

9/26/2007 Cardinals (Thompson) at Brewers (Villanueva): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah this is not the managers fault at all. Our pitchers are not throwing strikes and making the pitches. We've used 5 in this inning. I don't know what else they coulda done.

Well, had we gone after Pujols with nobody on base, which is usually traditional to do when nobody is on base, and retired him, which we had about a 60-65% chance of doing, it would still be 3-2 and we'd still have a pulse. I guess they coulda done that.

It's amazing how many think Yost called for Pujols to be HBP intentionally.

Right -- He brought in the mighty Seth McClung to shutdown Pujols. Dude. c'mon, wake up and smell your manager.

Honestly -- It speaks volumes of Yost that 1.5 GB, all he is concerned about is payback.

I knew something remarkably stupid was going to happen tonight. Whenever Yost cracks at the fans who "missed their calling", he follows up with a masterpiece in stupidity.

Bring back Lopes!

This is not Yost's fault...Turnbow not throwing strikes lost this game

Who makes him the 8th inning guy? No, it is not Turnbow's fault that he is a mental midget that gets opportunity after opportunity after opportunity...

Turnbow is a bad pitcher. You traded for Linebrink to pitch the 8th so you would not have to deal with turnbow...at least that is what I thought.

Can't please them. They'd complain if Pujols got a meatball to mash out and complain if they put him on base intentionally. A bloop hit followed by a tough worked walk later and a bad 4-pitch walk and it's Yost's fault...as usual

Nobody is removing a mountain of blame from Turnbow, it is simply unexcusable to not throw a single strike to a .176 hitter. But putting Turnbow in with inheireted runners, in a pressure situation? Every person watching this game knew that was a bad idea. So you're setting yourself up for disaster in the name of some petty retaliation. That part is all on Yost.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That HBP was intentional. If it were one run, fine, then Ned's a moron. But Turnbow exploded, and that's all on him. When you can't throw one strike to a .174 hitter, it doesn't matter if anyone else is on base.

The point being why even put ONE guy on in a one run game? Yes, Turnbow melted down, but when there's a guy on base, the complexion of the entire inning from that point on will change. There's no way to know that if he comes in with the bases empty, he doesn't just get 2 guys out, or vise versa. The point is, it never should have come to Turnbow coming in with a man on for the purpose of Yost settling some pissy vendetta with LaRussa.

My feeling is they'd have pitched carefully to Pujols anyway, but I do understand and agree with your point.

However, Turnbow has to get that job done. He walked back to back hitters and that's just asking for trouble as a reliever.

I'm not absolving Turnbow of blame. Of course he still has to execute. But put him in the BEST position to succeed. Bringing him in with runners on is not doing that.

You have to be blind to doubt that Yost called for that intentional HBP. He clearly wanted Pujols struck, based on who he called into pitch, and his mouthing to Albert as Albert walked down the line.

I think the most obvious reason for this is that he went with McClung over Turnbow. McClung throws harder and is more expendable (meaning, its no big deal if he gets tossed).

We waited 25 years to get to the playoffs, but I guess plunking Pujols and getting even with LaRussais a bigger priority now.

Unbelievable.

And why was Turnbow allowed to stay in? I am sure Spurling or anyone else could have gotten the mighty Kelly Stinnet out.

I just want to SCREAM right now.

Yeah this is not the managers fault at all. Our pitchers are not throwing strikes and making the pitches. We've used 5 in this inning. I don't know what else they coulda done.

How about leaving Linebrink in?

Yeah I said that earlier. I agree with that. I'm just talking about after they decided to take him out.

For the first time this season, im actually considering that falling apart right now might be the best possible thing that could happen to this team......how about the cubs lose out, and the brewers also lose out because yost makes boneheaded decisions the rest of the way. Wouldnt Mark A HAVE to fire yost if that occured?

How about leaving Linebrink in?

Yeah I said that earlier. I agree with that. I'm just talking about after they decided to take him out.

Except they only took him out so Yost could have McClung throw at Pujols

Turnbow's mental makeup seems to be completely incompatible with long-term bullpen work. If you put him in a hermetically sealed chamber and only bring him out when teh time is right, he's fine. Otherwise, he's worse than worthless; he's of positive value to the opposing team. Turnbow was flusterd by a hobbled Pujols jumping around at second base. If that doens't show lack of focus, I don't know what does.

It was dumb to hit Pujols. It was even dumber to think that Turnbow would do anything good in that spot if even one thing went wrong after he came in. I can see bringin him in and hoping for the best. But as soon as that little blooper dropped in, he had to be out of the game.

Honestly -- It speaks volumes of Yost that 1.5 GB, all he is concerned about is payback.

Honestly, I think he didn't want to pitch to Pujols with anybody and would rather put him on, so who cares how he gets put on.

Going to Turnbow was silly, but short of using Cordero early, what else to do.

Well, had we gone after Pujols with nobody on base, which is usually traditional to do when nobody is on base, and retired him, which we had about a 60-65% chance of doing, it would still be 3-2 and we'd still have a pulse. I guess they coulda done that.

Obviously. Plunking Pujols was just stupid. We all know that by now

Archived