Brewer Fanatic

9/26/2007 Cardinals (Thompson) at Brewers (Villanueva): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
are you serious? i think for the most part yost takes too much heat, and he is a decent manager...but lacks the ability to manage the bullpen. if he seriously called for mcclung to intentionally hit pujols with 1 out in the top of the 8th in a 1 run game and your team back by 1.5 in a pennant race with 4 games remaining (as all evidence points to it being intentional) he is a complete moron who doesnt deserve to step foot on a baseball diamond ever again. If it was also his decision to leave turnbow in (i know he was ejected, but i don't think it would be very difficult for the manager to still manage) with the bases loaded AFTER turnbow already walked a guy, gave up a single, and got a lucky strikeout because the cardinal player decided to swing at balls......then he is completely incompetant and useless to society in general.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not Yost's fault...Turnbow not throwing strikes lost this game

There's certainly a mountain to be said for Turnbow now throwing strikes in that situation, but there's also a lot to be said for Yost putting him into a situation with inherited runners, where you know he doesn't succeed. This has been proven time and time again, and most recently in Houston, which was another dreadful loss.

I think Turnblow is a perfect microcosm of this team. A team that doesn't perform when the pressure is on. We all saw them look like world beaters when we thought the season was quite possibly over. They destroyed the Cardinals. But as soon as the Cubs allow us back into the race, we respond in this fashion. Watching loveable losers like the Cubs and Brewers battle for a division title is like watching a game of hot potato.

That HBP was intentional. If it were one run, fine, then Ned's a moron. But Turnbow exploded, and that's all on him. When you can't throw one strike to a .174 hitter, it doesn't matter if anyone else is on base.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That HBP was intentional. If it were one run, fine, then Ned's a moron. But Turnbow exploded, and that's all on him. When you can't throw one strike to a .174 hitter, it doesn't matter if anyone else is on base.

The point being why even put ONE guy on in a one run game? Yes, Turnbow melted down, but when there's a guy on base, the complexion of the entire inning from that point on will change. There's no way to know that if he comes in with the bases empty, he doesn't just get 2 guys out, or vise versa. The point is, it never should have come to Turnbow coming in with a man on for the purpose of Yost settling some pissy vendetta with LaRussa.

I've been on the Yost fence, but I think he just pushed me over. Seriously bad decision to retaliate against Pujols in a close game. The pulse has flat lined. I predict the Cubs will clinch on Friday. Darn. I at least wanted to make it a meaningful weekend. Thanks for the Bush League Finish.

If anything, Yost should be busting up himself, for intentionally putting a man on base.

That's an assumption. There's no reason to believe that he intentionally called for Pujols to be hit.

No offense but, is this a joke?

The point being why even put ONE guy on in a one run game? Yes, Turnbow melted down, but when there's a guy on base, the complexion of the entire inning from that point on will change. There's no way to know that if he comes in with the bases empty, he doesn't just get 2 guys out, or vise versa. The point is, it never should have come to Turnbow coming in with a man on for the purpose of Yost settling some pissy vendetta with LaRussa.

But as long as we know Yost's is bigger a pennant really doesn't much matter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can't please them. They'd complain if Pujols got a meatball to mash out and complain if they put him on base intentionally. A bloop hit followed by a tough worked walk later and a bad 4-pitch walk and it's Yost's fault...as usual

One of the duties of a manager is to put your players in situations that gives them the best chance to succeed. Putting a man on for no reason and then bringing in Turnbow with said man on base (a situation in which Turnbow is historically awfull) is not setting your player up for success.

Archived