Brewer Fanatic

9/25/2007: Cardinals (Looper) at Brewers (Suppan), 7:05 CT

thablingster

Another day, another FSN-HD game.

This time it is Jeff Suppan (10-12, 4.72) against Braden Looper (12-11, 4.67). We got to Wainwright, lets give Looper the same treatment. Keep the heat on those scurvy Cubs!

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to the game tonight, try to get more of an M-V-P chant going when Prince is at bat. (Hint: the videoboard, out of town scoreboard and ribbon board will let you know when.)

There were pockets of that chant last night (including our two lone voices in the terrace boxes), but there's room for improvement.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

In the bleachers last night it sounded like all of Milwaukee County was doing it. I kind of wished they would not have done it after Braun's HR, it would have been nice to see him come out for a curtain call too, but everyone was already chanting for Prince.

I'll be back tonight, hopefully another good game. Last night might have been the most fun game I've seen this year.

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,644297,00.jpg

Last Night's Quote from Ned: "There's no problem with the umpiring. We just argued balls & strikes."

Brewers' Slogan for Crunch Week:

http://www.darrenfrodsham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/terminator.jpg

We'll Be Back.....

Okay, I'm off to the game with a priest and a friar in tow. And Ned, we highly encourage the arguing of balls & strikes. Go get 'em.

Oh and for those who feel this will affect the outcome of calls adversely to the Brewers, remember these instant replays are being played on major networks all over the world. No umpiring crew wants to be identified for its bias, no matter how confrontational the team they are ruling against may be on the field. Particularly down the stretch in such a high profile pennant race, the embarrasment of missed and wrong calls is only compounded by their frequency. All we ask for is an honest effort from the men in black, nothing more, and the arguing of balls & strikes would naturally subside.

Well done last night Brewers. Keep it up. And keep this up on the wall...

windiv07 wrote:

Dear Ned:

Please feel free to post this on the clubhouse door inside the tunnel facing the dugout...

It is pretty clear to the league what happened AGAIN yesterday. It puts the Brewers in a heck of a position for this final homestand. Let's take full advantage. THIS IS YOUR HOUSE.

Your Goal:
Win out through Sunday.

Your Method:
Inspire you team.

Your Mode of Operation:
After yesterday's umpiring debacle, it is time to take the initiative. Send the message that bad calls will not be tolerated anymore.

Your Strategy:
Work out a bad/close-call signal from the squad. Tell every player not to hesitate to signal you immediately, but to not question or confront the ump himself. The moment the very first bad or close call occurs, question it. Not like you have in the past, but like LaRussa does. Call time, calmly walk to the ump in question, and ask for a clarification. If it was glaringly wrong, THEN be prepared to drag out the discussion with seemingly impertinent but civil questions, escalating (gradually) and (if necessary) getting tossed (but only after a creatively lengthy discussion). Remember, do not hesitate to take the initiative to interrupt the game by calling time and stay completely calm at all times. Then after getting tossed, stay on the field and behave with civility for as long as you possibly can (drag it out).

Your Tactics:
Plan A is to keep this up until the end of the season without getting tossed.

Plan B is if you get tossed: You have six very capapble 1st tier coaches to back you up; Sveum, Maddux, Skaalen, Leyva, Sedar, & Castro. Review the M.O. & Strategy with them (behind closed doors) and get their vote of confidence so that if and when you get tossed early (for instance for calling time & questioning a pitch location or check swing [an automatic ejection] on signal from your catcher), get their pledge that they will follow your M.O. & Strategy exactly as you did (preceding you OWN ejection) even to the point where they are each in-turn ejected (in the same way for the same reasons) after moving up into your slot and carrying this plan out. Of course you'll need a rotation to fill each slot (see below) as tossed acting managers move out and coaches move up.

The Brewers Fans' Role in This:
The moment the acting manager calls time and exits the dugout for one of these discussions, Brewers fans are to begin to chant the first name of the acting manager (or nickname...no Edgars for Ned...just Ned). Here they are in suggested ejection rotational order...

The Ejection Rotation:
NED (Yost)
DALE (Sveum) Bench Coach
MIKE (Maddux) Pitching Coach
EDDIE (Sedar) First Base Coach
NICK (Leyva) Third Base Coach
BILLY (Castro) Bullpen Coach

(and if it turns out to be one ejection per inning...)

MARCUS (Hanel) Bullpen Catcher
JOE (Crawford)
JIM (Skaalen) Hitting Coach
(hold Skaalen until last and run without base coaches if necessary...Frankie Cordero can captain the bullpen right up to the end as long as Skaalen is still in the dugout)

Four of us will be located not far from Uek's & Schroeder's mics for all 7 of these games. Trust me, the radio & TV audience will hear it when you step out of the dugout. The idea here is to chant (with as many fans as possible joining in) louder and louder as the discussion (hopefully lengthy) ensues down on the field so that as the homestand progresses, it becomes as customary as a rally-chant.

Remember Ned (and all you Brewers), you are home now. We fans have your back.

Players: Play well and leave the challenges of the umps to your acting manager. Do not give free space in your head for those who disrespect you (that includes LaRussa and his Cardinals).
Coaches: Coach well, stick together, and be ready to move up.
Ned (and all acting managers): Do not sit still for anything less than fair umpiring.

BREWERS: TIME TO WIN OUT...ONE DOWN - SIX TO GO

The Ejection Rotation:

NED (Yost)

DALE (Sveum) Bench Coach

I'd love it if Castro ran out from the bullpen to argue a call. That would be great.

The Ejection Rotation:

NED (Yost)

DALE (Sveum) Bench Coach

I'd love it if Castro ran out from the bullpen to argue a call. That would be great.

Don't even open the fence he'll just hop over and run.

The Ejection Rotation:

NED (Yost)

DALE (Sveum) Bench Coach

Don't even open the fence he'll just hop over and run.

I don't think Eddie Sedar could get thrown out if he tried. "Gee golly Mr. ump that call was a darn shame." It's why I love that guy.

How about sending Graffy on his crutches out from the dugout?

I don't think Eddie Sedar could get thrown out if he tried. "Gee golly Mr. ump that call was a darn shame." It's why I love that guy.

How about sending Graffy on his crutches out from the dugout?

Use one crutch to stay standing and another as a weapon? I like it! Graffy has that fire he could easily go crazy on an ump.

Archived