Brewer Fanatic

Manager of the year voting and criteria?

danzig6767

Does anyone else feel the Manager of the Year award somewhat similar to Gold Glove voting in how it seems many voters just guess given some of the guys who end up winning the Gold Glove?

Normally i don't care one bit who wins Manager of the Year in either league,but i was paying some attention this year since Yost was at one time said to be a frontrunner.When i mentioned it to my buddy about two weeks ago who doesn't like Yost and who doesn't go online following stuff like this,his reaction was,that's insane and what are they basing this on?

So it got me to think what criteria are national and local writers using to judge managers that they may only see some teams play a few or handful of times?Just see who wins their division and made the biggest turn around from the prior year,being a smaller market is an added bonus?He must be the guy,like i'm figuring Wedge is the winner in the AL.BTW,i'm not saying Wedge isn't good at his job,i don't follow the Indians much.

When a manager sees his team make a sizable jump from the previous year and thus puts that manager in contention for MOY,are the voters are just assuming the manager found a fountain of managerial smarts in the offseason that was lacking the prior year while say their rotation sucked or their closer imploded?Did Ned do anything this year that made you feel we'd be worse or much worse without him or he did anything special vs what he did last year?Who has a tougher job,managing the 170 million dollar stacked Red Sox roster or the talent devoid Nationals who had a roster of guys who knew they had no playoff shot before the year started?

Since so much happens with teams behind closed doors,a manager makes countless in game choices each year that a non-everyday follower of a team would never see,and basically 3/4 of the managers have zero shot even if they did an outstanding job,throwing a dart at managers faces almost seems as fair a method for picking the award as any.

They should really just rename it the "Manager of the Most Surprising Team of the Year." Bob Melvin from Arizona looks like he'll be a lock to win it this year, but I think Manny Acta deserves a ton of credit for the job he did with the Nationals this year...they were supposed to be historically bad and they probably won't even finish in last place in the NL East.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived