Brewer Fanatic

Turnbow to Red Sox

I have seen several times in the past rumors that the Red Sox would be interested in Turnbow. How about a trade of Turnbow for Manny Delcarmen? Delcarmen is a real good young reliever that can be groomed to be a future closer maybe as early as next season if we foolishly let Cordero leave. Supposedly the Red Sox were interested in Turnbow as recently as this spring when he was coming off last years disastrous second half. Epstein is not the smartest of Gms so I could really see a deal like this taking place.

I have seen several times in the past rumors that the Red Sox would be interested in Turnbow. How about a trade of Turnbow for Manny Delcarmen? Delcarmen is a real good young reliever that can be groomed to be a future closer maybe as early as next season if we foolishly let Cordero leave. Supposedly the Red Sox were interested in Turnbow as recently as this spring when he was coming off last years disastrous second half. Epstein is not the smartest of Gms so I could really see a deal like this taking place.

I really don't know what evidence there is to say that Theo isn't the "smartest of GM's", at least in such a way that would make Turnbow for Delcarmen a palatable deal for the Red Sox.

Im not saying it would happen but every time I have heard Turnbow rumors in the past it said the Red Sox were interested. Obviously they were just rumors but you never know. Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part hoping that we can dump Turnbow and receive a gem like Delcarmen. Hey Epstein is the guy that signed Drew and Lugo last offseason so maybe he is dumb enough to take a shot with Turnbow.

Im not saying it would happen but every time I have heard Turnbow rumors in the past it said the Red Sox were interested. Obviously they were just rumors but you never know. Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part hoping that we can dump Turnbow and receive a gem like Delcarmen. Hey Epstein is the guy that signed Drew and Lugo last offseason so maybe he is dumb enough to take a shot with Turnbow.

Signing a free agent that didn't work out is one thing. Trading a younger, cheaper guy for an older, more expensive guy when the talent levels are at least a wash (and probably in favor of Delcarmen) is another thing. Perhaps at the beginning of the year, this deal might have been workable with some balancing, but given that these two players have performed at opposite ends of the spectrum, I just don't see it happening.

Manny's 2.2 ERA and 1.07 WHIP make him the kind of guy that the Red Sox are going to want to bet on.

Epstein also picked up guys like Ortiz, Millar, Mueller, etc. for very little. He's one of the brightest GM's in the league. I don't see them having interest in Turnbow, except for a middling blocked prospect like a Brandon Moss or something (who could develop into an everyday player).

Its real hard to win with a 150 million plus payroll. Epstein has done a terrible job recently spending big money on losers like Drew and Lugo. Supposedly he had interest in Turnbow before and he might again. I also dont appreciate your condescending tone!!!!!!!

When you have a budget as high as the Red Sox do, you play the GM role differently than you would if you were in Milwaukee. You can afford to take a couple expensive risks on guys you feel have high "upside." If they don't work out, whatever. You can afford it.

Epstein has made many more good moves than bad. And the bad ones didn't really hurt the team all that much. After all, they still won the division with the best record in baseball.

Archived