Brewer Fanatic

"rounding second and heading for first"--2008 slogan?

djoctagone

perhaps i'm being premature in posting this now, as the brewers have yet to finish the season in second place.

but if it happens, should the brewers reuse the slogan they adopted in 1993?

keep in mind that when they decided to use it, they were a team with the glaring departures of paul molitor and chris bosio. it was ill-advised timing to be making such a bold statement.

but that was then, and this is now.

most of the impact players from the 2007 team are expected back in 2008--and are expected to be better and more experienced.

of course, i want "rounding second and heading for first" to be their slogan for this week . . . but i'd be happy to see it in 2008.

seems to me that slogan implies backward movement...

That was exactly my first interpretation.

Here are some I would try.

2008 -- We added another racing sausage

2008 -- Vargas pounds meat!

2008 -- 6th year is the charm, right? I would hope so.

2008 -- Rounding second and heading for first base, we resigned Alex Sanchez!

Reading the thread title, I also missed the "Rounding second [place] and heading for first [place]" intepretation and my thoughts went straight to the image of backwards movement. ....Which would have made it the perfect slogan to sum up the 2006 campaign and probably about 50% likely that it will descibe next season, too, considering this is the Brewers we're talking about.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I'd like, "expletive the Cubs", but alas, I doubt they'd take it. And I don't mean substituting the expletive, just leave it in exactly like that. Let me see what other ones I can think of:

"We don't believe in OBP"

"Fear the Homers"

"Yost is always right"

"Has our GM fleeced you recently?"

"The Bandwagon has some extra seats again"

"Give us money and we'll never have a good year again"

"Celebrate our 26th anniversary of the '82 team"

"Only 60 bobble-head nights left"

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

"We're still here" (Yea! That's not applicable anymore!)

"Ray King will eat your babies"

"You didn't really expect us to make the playoffs last year, did you? I mean, were the Brewers!"

"Good things come first in 25's, then in 26's and every year after that."

Okay, I'm not funny.

Community Moderator

Your 2008 Milwaukee Brewers:

"It's the way we played in 82"

"Rounding second and heading for first...then heading back to second...then first...then getting tagged out"

"We're sorry that Estrada is still on the team"

"See the world's biggest bobblehead in action: Ned Yost"

"The roof is almost fixed this year"

"Get your Chicago Cubs tickets here!"

"Celebrate our 26th anniversary of the '82 team"

"Only 60 bobble-head nights left"

"Rounding second and heading for first...then heading back to second...then first...then getting tagged out"

Some good ones! Also, something to the effect of, "...And You Thought The Sopranos Had a Disappointing Ending", should be worked into the marketing campaign as well.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

"Ray King will eat your babies"
What's funny is that I bought my baby boy a jumper (from cafepress) this summer that read "Jim Powell will eat your baby". I'm pretty sure I was the only one to find that humorous.

Unoriginal I know, but I also bought a t shirt this year that read "All your wins are belong to us".

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Gosh, I remember "Rounding Second and Heading for First." I also remember the Brewers preview section of the Milwaukee Journal showing a picture of Molitor in Toronto with the caption, "A duel with Paul Molitor for the pennant?" Yikes. They must have really thought the public was stupid.

Your 2008 Brewers: Don't worry about our defense, we'll just hit homers to make up for it.

Another fun (related?) topic for this thread: alternate lyrics for the 'Brewers! Brewers! Keep turning up the heat' jingle, which I remember fondly from my youth, but which I now see as having been frightfully inappropriate for most of the teams to which it was applied. One thing the late 80s early 90s Brewers seldom seemed to be doing was turning up the heat. How about:

Brewers! Brewers! Show up for every game!

(Milwaukee Brewers)

Brewers! Their jerseys have their names!

(Milwaukee Brewers)

Brewers! We'll have at least one all-star!

(Milwaukee Brewers)

Brewers! Use a regulation amount of pine tar!

And so on...

Archived