Brewer Fanatic

Geoff Jenkins deserved better.

billyhallfan
He could have complained loudly and he does deserve some amount of credit for that. I don't know if it's because he was being a team guy or that he did the math and realized it was in his best interest to not have his numbers dragged down by the unfavorable matchups. Probably some combination of the two. Being the guy who faced the majority of PT in the platoon it was less detrimental to his future earnings than it was for Mench. Either way he got it and played all out all the time.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Players don't consider platoon roles as favorable.

Then they're ignoring the obvious negative impact that facing pitchers against whom they struggle can have on their contract(s). I get that playing everyday is valuable in terms of a contract, too, but not at the expense of a significant drop-off in production & results.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Had he not been so bad as to need to be benched this team might have had a punchers chance of the playoffs last season.

The Brewers finished 8.5 games back. Jenkins actually had better offensive stats last than he did this year, and had almost 500 AB. He even had excellent "clutch" splits. The idea that he could/should have generated 9 extra wins for this team is pretty farfetched.

I'm not trying to direct this specifically at you but I've just never been a fan of trying to pin a team's woes on a single player. When there's about 30 wins between a great and bad one, that should tell you that a single player has a pretty limited effect on a team's win total over a season.

They don't consider the platoon role favorable because of performance not contracts. Players want to perform well whenever they are performing. Players consider the platoon role a detriment to their ability to perform well. Knowing everyday you are going to be in the lineup is prefered.

If he had been better this season when everything was set up for him to succeed maybe we would make the playoffs this year.

I'm going to guess that we'll here that kind of comment directed at about a dozen different Brewers throughout the off season. If the Brewers finish a game back, you'll be able to direct it at about 25 players.

You're an optimist, Russ. I expect 25 posters directing comments against one manager...

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/grin.gif

Knowing everyday you are going to be in the lineup is prefered.

Obviously. But one can't realistically expect this luxury unless it's merited/earned. So if a player isn't performing well enough to be in the lineup everyday, there's nowhere to look but the mirror.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Obviously. But one can't realistically expect this luxury unless it's merited/earned. So if a player isn't performing well enough to be in the lineup everyday, there's nowhere to look but the mirror.

I doubt there are mirrors anywhere near the Brewers. Given that baseball players are a generally superstitious lot, I think they might be afraid to accidentally break one and have 7 years bad luck.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Had he not been so bad as to need to be benched this team might have had a punchers chance of the playoffs last season.

The Brewers finished 8.5 games back. Jenkins actually had better offensive stats last than he did this year, and had almost 500 AB. He even had excellent "clutch" splits. The idea that he could/should have generated 9 extra wins for this team is pretty farfetched.

I'm not trying to direct this specifically at you but I've just never been a fan of trying to pin a team's woes on a single player. When there's about 30 wins between a great and bad one, that should tell you that a single player has a pretty limited effect on a team's win total over a season.

I wasn't trying to lay all the blame on him. That line you quoted has to be taken into context of the arguement I was trying to make. I was simply saying he wasn't anything special in the season where the team had a chance to get to the playoffs. To say he deserved a playoff appearnace ignores the fact that he wasn't playing at an exceptionally high level for a majority of the season on the one team that had a chance. He may have deserved to be on better teams throughout his time here but there are plenty of players as deserving or more of a playoff appearnace than Jenkins.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'll be there on Sunday and will be giving Jenkins the golf clap. His tenure has been just above mediocre with injuries cropping up in untimely portions of his career, unhealthy looking strikeouts at any given time, and a complete inability to hit left handed pitching the last few years. He's been okay, but I will be glad to see someone else. In addition, I revise my revised notion that he could get $6-8 million next year. Absolutely no team is going to pay that. He has been absolutely awful down the stretch, and imo teams have taken notice to his rapid decline.

He has been absolutely awful down the stretch, and imo teams have taken notice to his rapid decline.

Let's not get carried away, now. Since the all star break:

.253/.315/.466/.781

Not what you want out of a starting LFer but I don't understand why some are actling like he's killing the team.

He has been absolutely awful down the stretch, and imo teams have taken notice to his rapid decline.

Let's not get carried away, now. Since the all star break:

.253/.315/.466/.781

Not what you want out of a starting LFer but I don't understand why some are actling like he's killing the team.

Now I didn't say anything about killing the team, but those stats speak loudly. They would be even louder if it wasn't for a couple "meaningless" late game home runs. While he hasn't individually killed the team, he hasn't seemed to do much to help it either. The definition of mediocre.

Career slugging of about .500, slightly above-average fielder, and man-oh-man, did he suffer. I tend to remember the situational strikeouts with that great big golf swing, but that's just ingratitude on my part. After all, the dude PLAYED WITH A BROKEN HIP. I'm ambivalent about whether it's worth keeping him, but I'm certainly not on-the-fence about the enormous respect that he's earned.

(One of the funniest things I ever saw at a Brewers game was at the Paul Molitor tribute ceremony. There was a 300-pound dude who looked to live in his mother's basement sitting near us. He had on a handmade t-shirt with enough cloth for a mainsail. It had etched letters that said, "Go Jazzy Geoff!" which is what I say now every time Jenkins steps to the plate.)

i never could figure why a home run is ever considered useless. fill me in o great one
The same way I consider any score "meaningless" during garbage time in any sport. When losing/winning 11-0 and a player gets his only AB in the bottom of the 9th with no one on base and 2 out and hits a home run, that is pretty "meaningless" to me. The reason why its in quotes is because the word - meaningless - was interpreted by me. I could have used "insignificant", "of minor importance", "inconsequential", or "unimportant." I suppose hitting a home run in a NO-pressure situation makes up for swinging at a ball bouncing 2 feet in front of the plate for strike three in a high pressure situation the same, but I don't, hence my opinion of Jenkins' mediocrity. It's my opinion as disclaimed by my post. I really am not expecting you to understand however.

Edited to remove condescending term smarty.

Archived