Brewer Fanatic

Geoff Jenkins deserved better.

billyhallfan

I feel so sorry for Jenkins. I am not the biggest Jenkins fan, but he stuck around for a long time, and he should have left. I know that there was money involved, but everybody wants to win. Jenkins waited for a playoff run in Milwaukee, and it never came. I remember when Jenkins was the best Brewer. I remember the three homeruns that he had, I remember that long winning streak we had a few years back where he carried us, then slid into home and broke his hand. Even through his 0-20 some streaks, he always made diving catches. He's a great guy and I think he deserved better. He might actually have a winning year this year, but he wasn't able to play as much as he wanted. I don't think Jenks will be back next year, and I don't think he should be, but I will still miss him. I hope Brewers fans give him a proper ovation at the end of the year, and more importantly if he ever returns to miller park, he better get an ovation when he is with the opposition.

Thanks for the memories Geoff, it has been a fun ride, please have a nice last week in a Milwaukee uniform...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

It's a shame he couldn't have finished with the Brewers on a higher note but he was given ever opportunity to put up a big year and couldn't get it done. A .320 OBP and .800 OPS while getting the platoon advantage for the majority of your ABs isn't getting it done. He didn't embarrass himself either though, and I have to guess this has been the most fun he's ever had as a Brewer, by far. It could have ended far worse than this. I'll bet some team picks him up for $3-4 mil next year and I'll be rooting for him when they do.

Jenkins' treatment by Yost and to an extent Melvin, has bothered me.

The ultimate was the final game against the Cubs where Yost let Mench hit with the bases loaded in the 9th down one run against Dempster when he had Jenkins available.

The moment called for the lifetime Brewer to be the hero but he never got a chance because Yost had his head buried in minute sample matchup stats instead of understanding the significance of the moment called for Jenkins to be the guy.

Jenkins' treatment by Yost and to an extent Melvin, has bothered me.

The ultimate was the final game against the Cubs where Yost let Mench hit with the bases loaded in the 9th down one run against Dempster when he had Jenkins available.

The moment called for the lifetime Brewer to be the hero but he never got a chance because Yost had his head buried in minute sample matchup stats instead of understanding the significance of the moment called for Jenkins to be the guy.

Must every post of yours be a slam on Yost?

I think everybody feels for Jenkins. He hasn't really had the year I thought he could with the platoon, but as rluz said he wasn't terrible either. He won't be back unless he really wants to stay here and takes the pay cut, but even then I think Gross may get his shot in '08 which I am totally on board with.

Where does Jenks play next season? I really hope he doesn't get stuck with the Royals or Devil Rays.

"Must every post of your's be a slam on Yost"

I've got over 4000 posts, most of which are not slams on Yost. I've slammed Melvin, Attanasio and players too.

But I avoid slamming other posters as you just did to me Lukevan.

This thread pertains to the treatment of Jenkins. Who's more involved in the treatment of a player than the manager?

But I avoid slamming other posters as you just did to me Lukevan.

Hardly call it a slam, but whatever.

It just seemed like this was a sympathy thread for Jenks apparently not making the playoffs as a Brewer, not yet another thread about the failings of Yost. I'm not trying to be an instigator, but I've been getting frustrated with every topic going back to Yost some way or another.

I don't mind Jenkins but he was fairly compensated for his production. If he had been better this season when everything was set up for him to succeed maybe we would make the playoffs this year.

This thread pertains to the treatment of Jenkins. Who's more involved in the treatment of a player than the manager?

Perhaps instead of focusing one one play you could look at how well Ned did all year long in putting him in favorable positions to succeed. He never faced tough lefties and didn't get driven into the ground with a heavy workload and still had penty of Ab's to keep in a grove. On this subject you'd have to start out with an agenda about Ned to look at one instance instead of the whole picture. As Russ fairly pointed out he was put in a very favorable situation and didn't do anything extraordinary with it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If he had been better this season when everything was set up for him to succeed maybe we would make the playoffs this year.

I'm going to guess that we'll here that kind of comment directed at about a dozen different Brewers throughout the off season. If the Brewers finish a game back, you'll be able to direct it at about 25 players.

Jenkins has been a good Brewer for many years and deserves a great sendoff. There was a time when he was one of the only good players on the team. Unfortunately his production doesnt warrant his paycheck and therefore we have to let him go. I hope he catches on with a team like Seattle where I think Geoff is from and gets a shot in the playoffs next year. Thank you Geoff Jenkins for all you have given the Brewers over the years. Your hard work and determined play will be truly missed.

I would go out on a limb and say in order for us to take the next step next year, we're going to need Bill Hall to resemble the Bill Hall of '06 and not the one of '07. I'm not expecting nor anticipating 35 HR but I would expect a player who would hit at least 20-25 HR and hit at a respectable clip. The lack of plate discipline was a killer for him this year and I think if we're singling out one position player, it would be Hall and not Jenkins who could've helped our post-season chances had he had a better season.

Community Moderator

Jenkins has had a good run here, and it's sad to see him go.

I always thought he had the potential to be a better player than he was, like the way he played in spring training this year, where he just punched the ball into the outfield with 2 strikes and didn't swing so hard.

He deserved a gold glove...never got it.

He deserved playoff appearances...never got it.

He deserved respect from the fans...and got boos last year despite years of success...and was benched during the losing streak

I hope Jenkins goes to a contending team...but I have a feeling he will get left out and end up starting for a bad team.

I also would hope that we find a suitable replacement. No playoff team is going to compete with Gross/Nix/Mench/Gwynn starting...ever.

One of the reasons I'm glad to have tickets to Sunday's game (besides the bobblehead) is that I'm going to be able to give Jenkins the send-off that he deserves. He's been one of the best players on this team for the better part of a decade, and chose to stay with the team, rather than chase a paycheck at the first opportunity.

I'd love to see him back in '08...and I have concerns as to what the Brewers are going to do with that money (in terms of finding a replacement), but IMO, the writing is on the wall. If the Brewers saw Jenkins as a part of the team next year, chances are he doesn't end up getting benched for a few games for a once-retired journeyman.

If he had been better this season when everything was set up for him to succeed maybe we would make the playoffs this year.

I'm going to guess that we'll here that kind of comment directed at about a dozen different Brewers throughout the off season. If the Brewers finish a game back, you'll be able to direct it at about 25 players.

Absolutely correct. I like Jenkins and cheered for him. I'll always view his time here with fond momories. That said it isn't like he's a hall of famer who, despite carrying the team to winning season after winning season, still hasn't made the playoffs. He was a sound player who managed to be an allstar once via a concerted effort by the team to get him voted in as the final player to be chosen. His play the last two seasons wasn't anything special. Last season some of the teams problem was his poor play. Had he not been so bad as to need to be benched this team might have had a punchers chance of the playoffs last season. Instead he provided a seriuos hole in the lineup for around $8 million. I hope he gets a nice farewell but I also hope it's a farewell. If we had a team full of Jenkins type players would that team really be considered a playoff caliber team? Truthfully not in my mind.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived