Brewer Fanatic

Joe Girardi: good job on Saturday's broadcast

kgbaseball

I know what you all think this thread will be about, but you're wrong!

I just want to give kudos to Joe after yesterday's FOX game. He did a tremendous job, in my opinion. You could definitely tell he studied up. He knew which Brewers Ned would use in each situation, knew how each Brewer had performed during the year, etc. He didn't make any mistakes that I recall. He was professional, unbiased, and definitely informative. I definitely enjoyed listening to the FOX broadcast yesterday. Josh Lewin is pretty good as well, even with that lisp!

(unambigufied thread title --1992)

Even if they had strict limitations for Yo, I'd still be uneasy about letting Girardi handle his future. He came from the Joe Torre School of Pitching Management, which has killed many a career. There's a reason why the Yankees' "Joba Rules" are so strict...if they weren't in place, Chamberlain would have blown out his arm by now as a result of Torre pitching him every game for 2 innings. Ask Tanyon Sturtze or Scott Proctor what they're up to these days.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Why on earth is a guy with a whopping record of 78-84 as a manager thought of so highly? Is it because he won with youth? Well if he had actually won with that team I'd give it some credence. He didn't. They started out hot and faultered as the year went on. Seems to me Ned won more games with a young team two years ago and did so without harming the careers of young pitchers. Ned has this team with two young starters and a group of postition players almost out of diapers in competition for a playoff spot in the last week of the season. Also something Girardi has not done. He's done that without the services of his ace for a large portion of the year and no players, aside from perhaps Braun, having career years. Even for those who think game strategy is somehow a significant factor in a manger's ability I don't think anyone has seen enough of him to know he's better at game decisions than Yost. If you count handling pitchers as a part of game decisions I'd think the evidence points to the contrary.

I know some will say he won more games than the talent level of his team. That may be so but it was at the long term expense of the team. I don't see how winning a few extra games with a team that, at it's best, would be around .500 did anything but harm them as a long term contender. It would have been wiser to have nutured the youth instead of harm them (see Ned Yost for how to handle youngsters) for what was obviosly one without hope of contending that year. To me he showed his lack of foresight not his genius. Girardi's handling of a pitching staff not only hurt long term but it hurt that team by the end of the season. Why would we want him to repeat that here?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What was Ned's record before he took over the Brewers?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The job that Girardi did with his Marlins pitching staff is reason enough for him to not be considered for the Brewers job. Josh Johnson and Anibel Sanchez both have major arm injuries and Girardi is very much to blame for this. If I remember correctly Johnson was brought back to pitch in a game where there was a lengthy rain delay, an absolute no no for a young pitcher. Let this guy ruin some other teams young pitchers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bobby Cox was below .500 after four season in Atlanta. Toronto hired him (not sure if he was fired by Atlanta or not) and he ended up winning a division crown there before returning to Atlanta in 1990.

I don't put much stock in W/L record for a managerial candidate. If someone on the outside did that with Yost, they'd think he was doing a pretty good job.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ned can learn from his mistakes as well can't he? If we are going to get someone else why not go with someone with more experience than a guy who got fired after one year of sub .500 basball? I don't know why people think bringing along young pitchers slowly is some sort of new thing that only got figured out this season. It's been fairly well documented before this hasn't it? I'm not so sure the temptation wouldn't be to much for a guy who is so intent on winning that game that he loses sight of the larger picture. Some guys simply see the tree's whiole other are capable of seeing the forrest. How much that view changes over time is debateable. For my part I'd rather not take a chance on our team until I saw him do better with someone elses team. If we would go in a differant direction I'd rather go with someone whose done learning through trial and error. Even someone like, God help me, Tony La Russa would be preferable to a guy with suspect history of handling young players. At this point hasn't Phil Garner proven more than Girardi? At least we know he can lead a team to the playoffs and after his less than stellar handling of Eldred has managed to learn from that.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

No. Joe Torre knows he overuses his generic middle relievers, but he continues to do it. They let the game get in the way of the big picture. Like him or not, Ned has never let a pitcher go 120+ pitches except maybe once a year, and often, guys do this weekly on some teams, young or old.

*cough*

rhymes with Busty Daker

*cough*

Ned has never called out a player in the press, and his teams always play hard to the final out. What's funny about the various "strategery" debates is even second guessing, people still can't decide what he should have done, just that his actions were not correct. I'm sure that's been noted by Doug and Mark A.

I just want to chime in and agree with the OP. Girardi's solid, and he was when he did Yankee games, too.

I'm a fan of Josh Lewin, as well. I remember him even having a blurb on either BP or a Bill James Handbook in the past few years, as well, so he does research and understands some stats. I like when announcers actually try and improve their knowledge about their job and don't just spout cliches for three hours.

Archived