Brewer Fanatic

Report: Doug Melvin & Ned Yost close to extension?

Madtown Bomber

The Brewers are (technically, still) in the playoffs. I doubt Attanasio is worrying too much about extensions this week.

This is my first reaction as well. -- I really doubt anything serious is being discussed.

I have to think the first and foremost concern that Mark A., has right now is the 7 remaining home games, and keeping the players and fans morale high enough that

the games have some attraction to the fans. The series in ATL was a real kick in the marble bag, so perhaps Mark A. said something positive to keep the meaning intact

for these last 7 games.

That said, I hope that there is an evaluation period after the season Mark A. goes through to measure Ned's performance. If he has already made up his mind to extend

Ned, that would make me pretty nervous.

Doug would be the one to extend Ned. Mark A would be the one to extend Doug.

It is pretty plain to see neither Doug or Mark have anything against Ned, both have joked or commented on the second guessing, no one does that if you are soon to get rid of someone. I said last night Ned is very likely to get an extension, and think he will soon.

And by the way, as far as debating the Yost issue in this thread, let's not and say we did. We have the Yay or Nay thread for that.

So are we free to talk about Yost getting an extension in this thread or not? If not, we should change the thread title and edit the first post to remove any reference to Ned.

I think what we don't need to see is a detailed rehash of when Mench or Jenkins should bat, how Turnbow should be used, how the lineups are constructed, etc. We can move posts over the other thread, if necessary, but with the system being new and rather rudimentary, it's a pain in the butt. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I like the idea of stability. With Melvin we have someone who has proved his worth as a competent GM. I'd imagine Mark A would extend Doug and Doug would make the decision to extend Ned. Doug's track record indicates he likes stability as well. His comments seem to indicate he doesn't believe in changes without reason. As a person who likes the way Ned handles players, which I believe is the main job of a manager, I'd be very happy with him being extended as well.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I just wanted to show that I don't post and duck. I have emailed both Drew Olsen and Tom Haudricourt and have yet to get anything back, when I do I will post their reply.

I would think that Brewers would want to extend Yost if they plan on bringing him back for next season because even though he has that option, it is a club option I believe, you don't want a lame duck out there.

As far as Attanasio coming and not talking extensions cause of the playoff chase I whole heartedly disagree because when Melvin was on Steve "the Homer" True show last week he said that his staff already has a lot of the next year's planning started already and they would finalize those plans the week after the regular season. He also said that scouts were already out scouting possible offseason free agents.

He also said that scouts were already out scouting possible offseason free agents.

I'd have to imagine they've been doing so for nearly the whole year. I just hope there is a smart decision made when evaluating the manager position this offseason. I worry that Melvin is (as JohnBriggs mentioned with regards to Mark A.) too attached to Yost to be objective. Getting along with someone with whom you're going to be working closely and spending a lot time is great, but not at the expense of workplace production.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Getting along with someone with whom you're going to be working closely and spending a lot time is great, but not at the expense of workplace production

considering his job involves cutting players all the time I'm sure he's capable of not getting to close. I'd imagine he has the best perspective on how good a job Ned really is doing since he see's and knows everything that goes into the job. With the ability to see everything that goes on he probably doesn't get so focused on game strategy that he loses sight of all the other more important qualities that go into making a good manager. I'm sure he will take into considreation the production. All things considered like injuries and youth the production is about were anyone objective would feel they should be.

If Ned is brought back I don't think I can be optimistic about the team. I don't think the fanbase can. I can't stand another season ruined, and I mean ruined. We'll be lucky to even have a winning record this year, it's unacceptable for a team that had a 8 game lead on the division and was 14 games over. Anywhere else, he is gone. I'm not counting on him suddenly knowing what heck he's doing either. He's a joke around the league, not just us. It's not just disappointed people here, everyone knows he's a bad manager except our team. If they want Brewer season to be anything other than the space between Packer season he has to be gone. I don't feel sorry for him either, he's a jerk.

All things considered like injuries and youth the production is about were anyone objective would feel they should be.

That's objective? Sounds like excuses. While I understand your point about a bigger picture in terms of the job of a manager, the way you marginalize game strategy is mind-boggling to me. Sure, there are other aspects (and important ones) to the job, but in-game adjustment is what separates the good managers from the rest, and imho should never be tossed aside as, 'Ahhh, it's just putting your players in the best position to win - it's not that important.'

BTA, it tried to take great care in discussing the situation as a generic one. While I understand your concern, is it not fair to make a comment on the position of manager in a thread discussing a possible contract extension for a manager? Of course, it doesn't help me to have my avatar right now...http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

TLB, it's a tough line to tow, but when people start calling him a "jerk" and a "joke around the league", the focus is on Ned as a manager, and not on whether now is an appropriate time to extend him.

I guess it's bad enough that people reiterate the same opinions over and over, but the last thing I want is this site becoming a dumping ground for repetitive "fire Ned" threads as other message boards have been for the past couple of months. It's clear that some people are just flat out angry about Ned Yost to the point of name-calling. Let's at least keep THAT kind of thing confined to one thread (not to mention the IGT's which have devolved into venting free-for-alls).

I have to imagine the Mark A has some say about what happens to Ned. The CEO of a buisness doesn't hire/fire local store managers, but if one specific manager isn't cutting it (either a lack of production or causing bad publicity) the CEO will send word down the line to get rid of said person. I'm not arguing whether Mark A should fire Yost, I'm just arguing that it is possible for Mark A to get rid of him.

Why can't we have a lame duck manager for next year? Just because we don't sign him to an extention now does it mean we can't re-sign/extend him after the '08 season. Use an extention as a carrot for next year. Don't say he won't be back, just say his contract will reflect how well the team does in '08. Maybe Ned would have a "contract year" and out manage everyone in the league. And if he "walks" at the end of the year, I really don't care that we wouldn't get a draft pick for him.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

That's objective? Sounds like excuses. While I understand your point about a bigger picture in terms of the job of a manager, the way you marginalize game strategy is mind-boggling to me. Sure, there are other aspects (and important ones) to the job, but in-game adjustment is what separates the good managers from the rest, and imho should never be tossed aside as, 'Ahhh, it's just putting your players in the best position to win - it's not that important.'

I do that because so may people marginalize other aspects of managing and put way too much emphasis on that aspect of managing. Don't neglect the other aspects and I won't have to bring them up.

Every time someone uses that as a reason for not extending Ned it's fair to point out his abilities in other areas that show why he should be extended. AS you've said "Sure, there are other aspects (and important ones) to the job," if Ned does get extended I'm sure it will be because of his other qualities that, although you acknowledge are important, somehow never consider when talking Ned's about abilites. I also respectfully disagree that strategy is what separates a good manager from the rest. Making players accountable, keeping them playing hard, guiding them through tough times, managing egos and keeping all the players involved so they are capable of producing when needed are more important IMO. All things that Ned is very good at and why he deserves an extension.

Ned and Doug both built this team. One found talented players the other helped develope them. If some of the players aren't good enough then both deserve some of the blame as well.

I just wanted to show that I don't post and duck. I have emailed both Drew Olsen and Tom Haudricourt and have yet to get anything back, when I do I will post their reply.
The mods and members appreciate that more than you might know. This sure beats the thread that was posted last week where a member wasn't clear in his lead post, created a bunch of confusion, and hasn't returned to the thread, even though he's posted to the site several times since then and was PMed three times asking for clarification.

Most significantly, your lead post cited a source. That helps a lot.

I would think that Brewers would want to extend Yost if they plan on bringing him back for next season because even though he has that option, it is a club option I believe, you don't want a lame duck out there.
I don't like lame duck situations, either. And it wouldn't be like any extension would have to go beyond a year. Often, picking up an option year and including a new option will do the trick. If the GM changes his mind, it's not like eating a manager's contract is going to hamstring the team.
As far as Attanasio coming and not talking extensions cause of the playoff chase I whole heartedly disagree because when Melvin was on Steve "the Homer" True show last week he said that his staff already has a lot of the next year's planning started already and they would finalize those plans the week after the regular season. He also said that scouts were already out scouting possible offseason free agents.
I think it's the GM, manager, and players who'd be otherwise occupied. Other people in the organization would most certainly need to be kept in place, and it's likely something that's a priority for Doug Melvin right now.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Ned is very highly thought of around MLB and would certainly get a job (probably with a younger team) very quickly, if he wanted one. His teams play hard, he has handled young teams well, and he has easily followed simple rules regarding young pitchers that some cannot fathom despite it being rather simplistic.

I'd say Doug would have no problem getting rid of Ned is he felt he was hurting the club. The fact is, he's done all he's been asked to do, and he is liked by the players and management.

Yost getting an extension would be about the dumbest thing possible. Extensions should be given out as a reward, and barely finishing above 500 with a talented team does not warrant that kind of reward. I would consider extending Melvin because he has done a mostly solid job (before the last offseason at least) but Ned should in now way be extended for leading an underachieving team.

I forgot to say that despite the fact they did not have organizational meetings, it's likely Doug has been talking to scouts and coaches the past few weeks, as there is not much to do with the big league team right now. Good to hear they sent scouts out to look at FA's these last couple weeks.

Many decisions about the 40 will have to be done as soon the as the season ends, so you can bet Doug and Gord have made all but a choice or two.

Archived