Brewer Fanatic

Report: Doug Melvin & Ned Yost close to extension?

Madtown Bomber

**I don't know if I should put this in the rumor section or leave here.**

I am totally on the fence right now with what I want personally done with Ned Yost because I think while Yost has done well enough to keep his job I think a person like Bobby Valentine or Joe Giardi would be a whole lot better.

HOWEVER, as I got done watching "The War" tonight on PBS I turned on my Sirius Radio and turned on ESPN Radio and they had a reporter on. (I think Rob Neyer) and said that Mark Attanasio is going to be starting the negotiation process this week to extend both Doug Melvin AND Ned Yost with hopes of having a deal done before the end of the regular season.

As much as most don't like Yost I don't know how many actually thought that Yost would get canned. I am sure there will be something about this in MJS tomorrow morning or on ESPN tomorrow.

I sure looks to me like Doug and Ned have plenty of security. Melvin's contract runs through 2009 and Ned's runs through 2008 with a 2009 option.

I'm not sure why Attanasio would be directly involved in any Yost negotiation process, anyway. That's not his job. I think this is a case where the reporter is operating on incorrect information.

And by the way, as far as debating the Yost issue in this thread, let's not and say we did. We have the Yay or Nay thread for that.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think the Brewers did just enough to keep Yost as manager which is going to likely cost us one more chance at the playoffs with his terrible management. In 2009 he'll still be our manager and we'll be so good that we'll still make it to the playoffs and even though he'll be the problem and not the solution he'll win some stupid manager of the year award.

I think the Brewers did just enough to keep Yost as manager which is going to likely cost us one more chance at the playoffs with his terrible management. In 2009 he'll still be our manager and we'll be so good that we'll still make it to the playoffs and even though he'll be the problem and not the solution he'll win some stupid manager of the year award.

That was a little vague. So, do you like him or not?

That was a little vague. So, do you like him or not?

I like him, he's just a crappy manager.

Why work on extensions? When Mark A. realizes Yost's ineptitude and wants him fired he'll have to pay the rest of his contract where as if he sucks next year (and he will) you can just fire him and not be on the hook for anything.

Melvin, I'm totally pumped about - he can stay here for life as far as I'm concerned. There's no way he'll ever be less than average. Yost, OTOH, is nowhere near deserving an extension. I don't think anyone could see his performance as anything better than "OK" this year, and that shouldn't get you extended, that just means that maybe you did just well enough to not get fired.

If Yost is extended, I just hope that this being his first real chance to manage (as the head man) in a pennant race, he learns from his mistakes and implements what he has learned in the future.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

If Yost is extended, I just hope that this being his first real chance to manage (as the head man) in a pennant race, he learns from his mistakes and implements what he has learned in the future.

Not only that, we can always hope that the $10 million spent on Jenkins/Mench can go to other areas of the team that need help.

I just hope he stops smiling at the camera when his idiotic calls backfire.

Yeah, I think we're all tired of his "Jeez, I'm gonna hear it for this one" smirk. I can only hope that his mismanagement this year is a result of him never managing in a pennant race before and that he learns from his mistakes, since I doubt he'll get fired unless this team goes 0-7 to end the year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I don't have any problem with Ned's facial expressions. There are times in life when things just come and bite you in the rear, and you just know it.

I am not going to get into the debate of whether Ned should be back or not because that is a totally different topic. As far as an extension goes, I am all for stability because this team needs to create an identity and have some kind of golden era that will be remembered for a long time. The Packers had Lombardi. The Dodgers had Lasorda. The Badgers had Alvarez. The Braves had Cox. I would love to see something like that with the Brewers too. It's a mark of a good franchise.

Having said that, why the rush for an extension? Yost is the most controversial manager I can remember, and the team has only taken turtle steps towards real progress. I don't think there is any need or urgency to rush into this. The timing is just awful.

I am not going to get into the debate of whether Ned should be back or not because that is a totally different topic. As far as an extension goes, I am all for stability because this team needs to create an identity and have some kind of golden era that will be remembered for a long time. The Packers had Lombardi. The Dodgers had Lasorda. The Badgers had Alvarez. The Braves had Cox. I would love to see something like that with the Brewers too. It's a mark of a good franchise.

LOL. Are you really putting those guys in the same sentence as Yost? Come on.

LOL. Are you really putting those guys in the same sentence as Yost? Come on.

No he's not, AJAY, I believe wants Yost fired but he understands where Mark A. is coming from with stability from management in the front office and on the field.

I think AJAY makes a good point, whether or not you like or dislike Yost I dont' see a huge reason to extend him past next year. If Mark thinks he might be the guy for the job there is nothing wrong with giving him 1 more year and deciding from there, I see no real good reason to extend him 2 or 3 years though. At best he is on the bubble.

I don't see an extension. I think somebody said that Yost in under contract for next year. That would give Mark A. 3 years to look at Yost and make a decision. I think next year decides Yost's fate. Even going 3-4 the rest of the way is 82 wins and not that far off of what was expected.(I only expected 85 wins) I was hoping for playoffs, but thought we would miss out with this year being a "growing" year. I have no idea what Mark A. and Melvin thought, but I don't see them jumping managers every other year like the Bucks do. Yes I know Yost has been here 5 years already, but the first 2-3 were just killing time until our players developed.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I sure looks to me like Doug and Ned have plenty of security. Melvin's contract runs through 2009 and Ned's runs through 2008 with a 2009 option.

I'm not sure why Attanasio would be directly involved in any Yost negotiation process, anyway. That's not his job. I think this is a case where the reporter is operating on incorrect information.

And by the way, as far as debating the Yost issue in this thread, let's not and say we did. We have the Yay or Nay thread for that.

So are we free to talk about Yost getting an extension in this thread or not? If not, we should change the thread title and edit the first post to remove any reference to Ned.

Mark Attanasio unfortunately is a Pollyanna. He's become way too close to Melvin and Yost personally to make objective decisions. Look I've been a Yost critic for a long time, but I don't dislike him personally. I'm not sure MA can seperate his personal feelings and do what's right for the team.

i'm with ajay, i understand the concept of it, but I don't think that they have the right man. That being said, if the Brewers had a better bullpen, it wouldn't matter what yost did all the time. Don't get me wrong, he has made other decisions that have costed games other than the bullpen, but let's be honest, if they had anything to go to other than cordero, those "3 run leads" wouldn't be as big of a deal. I can only imagine what would have happened if Villanueva wasn't in the bullpen for most of the year. I think, more than anything, Dale Svuem needs to be let go, I hope that Yost is the right man for the job. And I like the stability, but if he gets booed on this last homestand, I just can't imagine them bringing him back?

Archived