Brewer Fanatic

Alex Rodriguez to the Cubs? (ESPN article)

Glennron

My guess is that that's something from Mike & The Mad Dog or something similar. There's no way anyone with knowledge of the situation would say that, who knows if A-Rod even knows what he'll do.

And he'll definitely go the highest bidder. That's a union thing more than anything. If it weren't for them stepping in and not allowing him to take a pay cut, he'd be with the Red Sox right now and probably for the rest of his career.

and, see, this is the type of thing that gets me excited about next year but also scares the crap out of me. If this does in fact happen, the Cubs are going to be stacked and the only way they aren't a 90-win team is if their pitching collapses. Sound familiar? It's the exact same scenario for the Brewers.

So much for "breezing" (notice the quotation marks) to the playoffs next year.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

and, see, this is the type of thing that gets me excited about next year but also scares the crap out of me. If this does in fact happen, the Cubs are going to be stacked and the only way they aren't a 90-win team is if their pitching collapses. Sound familiar? It's the exact same scenario for the Brewers.

So much for "breezing" (notice the quotation marks) to the playoffs next year.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

This is exactly what I hate about baseball. The Cubs can just go out and buy the best free agent in the league two years in a row, and without any effort make their lineup a murder's row. (I imagine they could do the same thing with pitching too). While teams like the Brewers have to scrape together to afford middle of the road FA, and have to hope for their young players to contribute.

A top of the lineup consisting of:

Soriano

DeRosa

A-Rod

Lee

Ramierez

Would easily be the best in baseball (and be absolutely brutal). But what did they do to actually get those players other than shoving large dollar signs under their eyes? What accomplishment is it if the team does well? That's why I can't stand the Yankees, they go to the playoffs nearly every year because they have more money than they know what to do with, it's nothing to them. If they want a player, they go get him.

The truth with all five of the above players, is they ended up/could possible end up on the Cubs because other less financially capable organizations couldn't afford them, because they were too good. It's funny how all the "too good" players can gravitate to a small number of teams, while other teams spend their time hoping to develop these "too good" players so they can have a year or two of their services before they have to start over.

This is exactly what I hate about baseball. The Cubs can just go out and buy the best free agent in the league two years in a row, and without any effort make their lineup a murder's row. (I imagine they could do the same thing with pitching too). While teams like the Brewers have to scrape together to afford middle of the road FA, and have to hope for their young players to contribute.

A top of the lineup consisting of:

Soriano

DeRosa

A-Rod

Lee

Ramierez

Would easily be the best in baseball (and be absolutely brutal). But what did they do to actually get those players other than shoving large dollar signs under their eyes? What accomplishment is it if the team does well? That's why I can't stand the Yankees, they go to the playoffs nearly every year because they have more money than they know what to do with, it's nothing to them. If they want a player, they go get him.

The truth with all five of the above players, is they ended up/could possible end up on the Cubs because other less financially capable organizations couldn't afford them, because they were too good. It's funny how all the "too good" players can gravitate to a small number of teams, while other teams spend their time hoping to develop these "too good" players so they can have a year or two of their services before they have to start over.

Isn't it against MLB rules for a player to have partial ownership of a team? According to the story at yahoo, unlike the NHL (and Lemieux), you cannot have an interest in the team you play for. Then again, for a mercenary like A-Rod, I doubt he has any interest in the TEAM he plays for.

Isn't it against MLB rules for a player to have partial ownership of a team? According to the story at yahoo, unlike the NHL (and Lemieux), you cannot have an interest in the team you play for. Then again, for a mercenary like A-Rod, I doubt he has any interest in the TEAM he plays for.

The ownership stock would be deferred until he retired, I imagine.

My understanding is a player can not be an owner (or partial owner) or can even have any sort of promise of ownership (which deferred comp or stock would be). Unfortunately, I just can't source this understanding. Maybe someone else can confirm with a source? I think Boras may have even been quoted as saying as much after this rumor came out.

The ownership stock would be deferred until he retired, I imagine.

My understanding is a player can not be an owner (or partial owner) or can even have any sort of promise of ownership (which deferred comp or stock would be). Unfortunately, I just can't source this understanding. Maybe someone else can confirm with a source? I think Boras may have even been quoted as saying as much after this rumor came out.

Archived