Brewer Fanatic

September 23 in Milwaukee baseball history

hawing

Those of you who have been here for more than a year might recall that I've made a mini-tradition of posting a link that recalls the glory of September 23, 1998, when a left fielder we'll call Brant B. to protect his privacy - no, wait, we'll call him B. Brown - made a 9th inning miscue to facilitate a Brewers comeback win.

Today, however, first props should go to a game played on a different September 23:

Link to Retrosheet box score of September 23, 1957

Fifty years ago tonight, Henry Aaron launched the most important home run in Milwaukee history (to date), in the bottom of the 11th inning to clinch the National League pennant for the Milwaukee Braves.

Link to JSOnline story on this game

Thank you, Mr. Aaron.

But to keep tradition intact, here's the link to a recap of the Brant Brown game, which occurred nine years ago today, September 23, 1998.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I was at the Brown game. It took a second to sink in that the Brewers had actually won the game. Great meltdown. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I was at the Brown game. It took a second to sink in that the Brewers had actually won the game.

Indeed. We sat out toward the RF corner in the lower grandstand (general admission seating - we'd traded in our tickets from an earlier game we couldn't attend). The game- ending play took place in the opposite corner, and at first I assumed the ball was caught and the runners were simply running on 2 outs.

The section we were in was a mix of fans from each team, yet the atmosphere lacked the animosity that in subsequent years seems to have taken over the interaction between Milwaukee and Chicago fans. I think that's part of the reason I now have such fond memories of that game.

If nothing else, I think fans of both sides were equally stunned by the way that game ended. It remains the most overall interesting game I have attended.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I remember selling Lemon Ice in the lower deck during that game...I finished up around the 7th and found a seat down the 3rd base line to watch the rest of the game, like I usually did. I was in shock when it happened...it was one of those things that everyone secretly hopes for when their team is behind but nobody ever expects to happen.

Archived