Brewer Fanatic

9/22/07 Pirates (Duke) at Cubs (Hill), Noon Central

Mass Haas

I was actually glad to see the Pirates get swept on the West Coast this week because the law of averages says they have to sneak a win somewhere, right? It's seven losses in a row for the Buccos, and this Cubbie schedule with days off, along with Lou's decision to pitch guys on three days' rest, is helping the Cubs avoid a 5th starter of their own for what seems like a month now.

No TV anywhere for this one -- audio only via MLB Gameday Audio or your local affiliate, for those in Cub or Pirate land.

MLB.com:

It has been almost three months since Zach Duke started a Major League game, but he'll be back on the mound for the Pirates on Saturday.

Zach Duke will start Game 2 of a three-game series against the National League Central Division-leading Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field, as he looks to contine the success he's had over the years at the Friendly Confines. Duke is 3-1 with a 1.42 ERA against the Cubs in Chicago, including his first career complete game in 2005.

"Duke has had great success against the Cubs at Wrigley Field," manager Jim Tracy said. "When you're trying to get a guy back because you know he has some very special qualities leading forward, you try to pick the very best spots that you can to get him going. So we'll give him a shot here."

Duke has been sidelined since June with elbow tendinitis. Tracy expects to have the left-hander on a pitch count, but he wasn't sure what the limit would be.

"I would say probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 to 90 [pitches], but we'll see how it goes," Tracy said. "You can say 75 to 90, but you'll have to see about the information that the hitters provide to where he may not last that, or depending on how he goes, he may last more. This is obviously a guy who is very much on the radar screen moving forward."

Rich Hill will start for the Cubs, who are 17-22 against lefties this season. Hill lost on Sept. 7 in Pittsburgh after giving up six runs on nine hits over six innings in the Pirates' 6-1 victory.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the lyrics of "A New Pirate Generation", which the Pirates (at least for a time in the PNC era) play at home games.

It's reasonably catchy, at least enough to stick in my mind since our visit there in 2002:

Take me out to where the Pirates play

Catch the sights, cheer the plays, feel the glory of yesterday

Centerfield, grand slams, fans and Cracker Jack

Crowd cheers, I don't care if I ever get back

I listen to the game with my radio on

Clap along to the rhythm of a Bucco song

Two aboard, full count with nobody out

Stomp your feet, line drive everybody shout

Root, root, root for our home team

A new Pirate generation - everybody shout, "Let's Go Bucs!"

With every slide there'll be Pittsburgh pride

At the ol' ball game everybody shout, Let's Go Bucs!

Cross the bridge, through the gate to the field of green

Young and old stories told from your childhood dream

Pops, Wagner, Traynor, Maz, and heroes yet to be named

Great catch, clutch hits like Clemente played

I listen to the game with my radio on

Clap along to the rhythm of a Bucco song

Two aboard, full count with nobody out

Stomp your feet, line drive everybody shout

Root, root, root for our home team

A new Pirate generation - everybody shout, "Let's Go Bucs!"

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

SeriesFinale, you just nailed why I hate Ramirez so much. Every home run he tosses the bat, does a little dance and watches his home run half way down the first base line.

Anyway, now that the cubs have a lead, I honestly expect their pitching staff to record eighteen straight outs.

Archived