Brewer Fanatic

Is it harder to be a reliever than a starter?? Spotlight: Carlos Villanueva

adambr2

Villanueva has really stepped it up in this pennant race, which I'm obviously thrilled about. However, it really makes me wonder about something -- is it a harder job in MLB to be a reliever than a starter? I mean, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Villanueva has been pretty phenomonal as an MLB starter. He's got double digit starts now, I mean, it's not really a small sample size any more. He's got enough starts to not dismiss it as a fluke -- enough starts to say, "Yeah, this guy's a starter".

Still, it's a little surprising, as Villanueva seemed to run out of gas in July, and got shelled in almost every relief appearance in July and August. He was terrible.

For whatever reason, he obviously seemed to find a second wind, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Carlos is much more successful as a starter than a reliever. I don't know what his career ERA is as a starter, but without looking it up, I bet it's around 3.00 or so. That's awesome, especially for a projected #4 or #5 starter. Here's what I don't get. Starting pitchers eat up more than twice the innings of relievers in an average year. An overworked reliever might pitch 90 innings in a season, a typical inning eating starter can go well over 200 innings.

Yet, when Villanueva is starting, it's very common to see him have no trouble going 6 innings and giving up 1 or 2 runs. Bring him for just one inning in July, and it seemed like we were asking to be scored on. How does this make any sense? He can start and go for 6 innings, but 1 or 2 is going to be a struggle? I just don't understand. I think he's a clear-cut starter for the rest of his career now, but I just don't understand why he works this way. Is it mental? Is it just the grind of having to pitch multiple days straight at times rather than a consistent once every 5th days? Does someone have a rational explanation for all of this?

He seems to be the type of pitcher that will use all his pitches and move location throughout the line-up which helps when he's a starter. I didn't see him much in relief, but I wonder if he went to more a routine in order to get the batter out, and once the league had a book on him they could anticipate his pitches. Now he's back to using all his piches. Again, I'm going off the 3 starts I've seen and the 3-4 relief appearances I've seen him in. Fatigue is probably another issues as Logan pointed out -- Ned seemed to have him up every game from May - July.

For some guys, it's easier to be a starter. Others, it's easier to be a reliever. I read a quote from Dennis Sarfate saying that he enjoys coming out of the pen more than starting. He said it just suits him better and likes the pressure situations.

Granted, I never played in the pros, but when I pitched, I found it easier to start (and just plain enjoyed it more). The couple times I pitched in relief were more difficult, even if I started the inning.

Villy has 4 good pitches that he has confidence in. He keeps hitters off balance by changing speeds. That translates better to having success over multiple innings where he can mix things up subsequent times through the order. Guys with only 2 pitches wind up in the bullpen for the most part. It just makes no sense to not give a 4 pitch pitcher a chance to start. He should have been given that chance from the beginning of the year IMO over Vargas.

There's no way a RP can be more valuable than a starter who can go 6 or 7 keeping the team in the game.

Villy's been a starter throughout the minors. It's tougher to be a starter because you have to go through the order multiple times. Some guys just can't do that because of their lack of multiple pitches. It may be easier in the sense of having regular rest and knowing when you're going to pitch. Yet you have to be able to keep your concentration for 6 or 7 innings, not just 1 or 2.

Archived