Brewer Fanatic

9/21/2007 Milwaukee (Villanueva) at Atlanta (Hudson) 6:05 CDT

ELCABALLO45
  • Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would the original post eventually get crushed into nothingness like the result at the bottom of a black hole?

No one knows what becomes of matter when it reaches the singularity. Perhaps, far from being crushed into nothingness, it travels through a wormhole to another team's fansite, where it emerges fresh and new. Hopefully they will enjoy it's majesty and splendor as much as we have.

Ned is actually playing the matchups instead of going with the mythical "hot hand."

You mean, he's going with the mythical, "small sample match ups matter" instead of the mythical "hot hand". Maybe he should just go with the reality of playing the better player.

No one knows what becomes of matter when it reaches the singularity.

But of course a post on a message board isn't matter...it's information. Information is the inverse of entropy. By squeezing the information to an infinitesimal, the entropy becomes infinite, and thus, the heat death of the universe.

Good thing casey stopped that in time...

it seems like every thing the Brewers hit is being caught, I thought that one had a chance to go.

Yeah. The Brewers are actually hitting the ball pretty well tonight. It's just that everything is either at someone or Atlanta makes a great play.

Short of that, if you want to talk about the matchups, you'd have to look at how Weeks fares against pitchers that are roughly comparable to Hudson in quality, pitch type, pitch speed and release point/arm angle. As far as I know, most MLB teams aren't smart enough to use data like this though, and I don't know that anyone in the objective analysis community has even tried to undertake such a labor intensive exercise.

The only study I've read that tried to group different types of pitchers and see if batters performed better or worse against certain kinds couldn't find anything ("The Book").

Is it encouraging, or somewhat disturbing that the two starting pitchers who stepped it up the most for us in a September pennant race are a 21 year old rookie, and a 23 year old who spent the entire year in long relief? I find it to be a little bit of both.

This is 3 straight fantastic starts by the Pitching staff and now the bats decide to hibernate for the rest of the year. Uneblievable how they haven't been able to get both working at the same time. The one thing we could almost always depend on this year has been the hitting. Until now. In must win situations, they disappear. Unreal.

Uneblievable how they haven't been able to get both working at the same time.

Without looking it up, I think they both were working for the first 35 games of the year, at the very least. Also, the offense had scored 4 or more runs for 8 games in a row and 16 of the last 17, before last night. That was a big part of their recent run. Hard to ask for more.

Archived