Brewer Fanatic

9/21/2007 Milwaukee (Villanueva) at Atlanta (Hudson) 6:05 CDT

ELCABALLO45
  • Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Counsell is in for Weeks though.

Indefensible - which clearly identifies it as a move made by Ned Yost. *barf!* http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/sick.gif

Actually its quite defensible.

Ned is actually playing the matchups instead of going with the mythical "hot hand." Once again there's outrage over basic managerial strategy.

Rickie may not even be the hot hand considering his opb. for the past week is .303. His power has come at the expense of his obp.

Well then Laynce Nix should be playing somewhere tonight. After all he's 6-13 against Hudson.

Nix's general uselessness negates any advantage the righty/lefty matchup would bring.

But Counsell's .640 OPS is valuable?http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/eyes.gif

His obp against righthanders is.

Indefensible - which clearly identifies it as a move made by Ned Yost. *barf!* http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/sick.gif

Ned is actually playing the matchups instead of going with the mythical "hot hand." Once again there's outrage over basic managerial strategy.

Rickie may not even be the hot hand considering his opb. for the past week is .303. His power has come at the expense of his obp.

Well then Laynce Nix should be playing somewhere tonight. After all he's 6-13 against Hudson.

Nix's general uselessness negates any advantage the righty/lefty matchup would bring.

But Counsell's .640 OPS is valuable?http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/eyes.gif

Yeah it stands at an incredible .338, compare it to Weeks' .346 OBP vs righties.

Problem with this thinking is that "the matchups" are at least as mythical as the "hot hand." I mean, if we could somehow have Weeks face Tim Hudson something like 200 times over the course of some very short period of time where neither player gets significantly better or worse, then maybe it would be something worth looking at.

Short of that, if you want to talk about the matchups, you'd have to look at how Weeks fares against pitchers that are roughly comparable to Hudson in quality, pitch type, pitch speed and release point/arm angle. As far as I know, most MLB teams aren't smart enough to use data like this though, and I don't know that anyone in the objective analysis community has even tried to undertake such a labor intensive exercise. But that's the only way you're going to get anything resembling a sample size sufficient to draw any specific predictive conclusions.

Problem with this thinking is that "the matchups" are at least as mythical as the "hot hand." I mean, if we could somehow have Weeks face Tim Hudson something like 200 times over the course of some very short period of time where neither player gets significantly better or worse, then maybe it would be something worth looking at.

Short of that, if you want to talk about the matchups, you'd have to look at how Weeks fares against pitchers that are roughly comparable to Hudson in quality, pitch type, pitch speed and release point/arm angle. As far as I know, most MLB teams aren't smart enough to use data like this though, and I don't know that anyone in the objective analysis community has even tried to undertake such a labor intensive exercise. But that's the only way you're going to get anything resembling a sample size sufficient to draw any specific predictive conclusions.

I was referring to righty/lefty matchups which are far from mythical.

And I showed by using the stats that Ned loves so much that Weeks has a better OBP against righties than Counsell.

Yeah it stands at an incredible .338, compare it to Weeks' .346 OBP vs righties.

I've got .343 for Weeks, and .345 for Counsell over a larger sample. Whatever though. Ned's a moron for thinking a left handed batter might have a better chance against a righty than a right handed batter would.

I've got .343 for Weeks, and .345 for Counsell over a larger sample. Whatever though. Ned's a moron for thinking a left handed batter might have a better chance against a righty than a right handed batter would.

When you take out one of your best hitters over a month span to get a guy with a .640 OPS on the year because he has the righty/lefty matchup on his side you might not be the best person for the job.

When you take out one of your best hitters over a month span to get a guy with a .640 OPS on the year because he has the righty/lefty matchup on his side you might not be the best person for the job.

Ned Yost has been criticized for playing the "hot hand" in the past and now he's criticized for not playing the "hot hand".

I'm done...scrolling through giant posts in the IGT has to be annoying.

Ned Yost has been criticized for playing the "hot hand" in the past and now he's criticized for not playing the "hot hand".

I'm done...scrolling through giant posts in the IGT has to be annoying.

That's because Ned's idea of a "hot hand" is usually a guy who went 3-for-4 last night. Weeks has actually been hot for a more meaningful period of time.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

True, platoon differentials are absolutely real, and since that's what you meant, it would certainly count as defensible thinking. But, per Haudricourt, Ned Yost was not playing the lefty/righty matchups, he was playing the "Rickie's 0-fer against Hudson, so I better get him out of the lineup cuz he just can't hit this guy" matchups, a variety of thinking which is ever-so-much harder to defend. Maybe Haudricourt's full of it, and the platoon advantage was probably part of Yost's thinking, but he also put Hall back in the lineup for the first time in forever (righty on righty). It's pretty clear that Yost did that because of Hall's previous success against Hudson.

Yost really likes to play matchups like this. It's one of the things I like least about him as a manager.

Archived