Brewer Fanatic

Sheets to the Yankees proposal

tony2sweet

After Sheets went down with another injury it got me thinking what we could get for the guy in the off-season. I have always been a big Sheets supporter but think I have had my fill. I also think Bill Hall straight up for Abreu would be almost even swap with Hall being younger and with more upside. Abreu gives us a player that has experience and can also protect Fielder in the line-up. If you have a better proposal let me know, even if it's for another player on the Yankees or even another team for the matter. I'm not even sure if my proposal would work with the Brewers budget or if the salaries would match up, but what the heck.

Yankees get:

Ben Sheets
Bill Hall
Zack Jackson

Brewers get:

Bobby Abreu
Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes ....Take your pick
Reliever maybe Kyle Farnsworth

I had thought of a few ideas about trading Sheets lately. Especially since this website will be buzzing about it during the Winter Meetings this year.

Sheets to the Yanks for Hughes and a prospect had crossed my mind.

Sheets to Boston for Lester and JD Drew +cash

Sheets to NYM for Milledge and Pelphrey

Sheets to Ariz for Montero, Quentin, and a top pitching prospect

Sheets to LA for Kemp and Billingsley

I could do this all day. By the way, I like the LA trade the best.

Sheets won't go anywhere. Unless we are going to trade one over paid injury prone pitcher for another. (Is Prior available?)

The only trades that would make any sense would involve Sheets going to a team with World Series dreams willing to part with a prospect or two. Hence, you suggested the Yankees.

Problem is - the Brewers are a team with World Series dreams. We can't keep trading for the future. The future is now. Next year, while we still have Sheets - is probably our best chance to win the world series before we start to lose some of our young talent.

Of course, it is unfortunate to have those hopes riding on the health of Sheets. But it is what it is.

The team out there that could really use Sheets is Seattle.

They have catching that they could deal but don't have that young arm that the Brewers would also want back.

"Next year, while we still have Sheets is...our best chance."

The problem with that is we don't ever know if we will still have Sheets. His history suggests when it's crunch time, Ben will be nursing some body part yet to be determined.

"Is Prior Available"

He could be. He's arby eligible and there's a chance the Cubs won't tender him.

I said JD Drew because you can get him on the cheap. He is playing in the worst stadium for a dead pull hitter. Why he signed in Boston is beyond me. The guy is a pretty darn good hitter.

Sure, he gets hurt alot. But he is a good outfielder and if Jenks walks, he would be a great replacement.

My bad, well maybe Sheets for Chamberlain or Hughes could work.

Yeah, right. I am the furthest thing from being a front office official, but if they heard this, I'm sure that they would start laughing. Heck, I am laughing just reading it. I love Sheets, and a HUGE Brewers fan, but I know I wouldn't even do this if I were the Yankees.

I'm sure that they would start laughing. Heck, I am laughing just reading it. I love Sheets, and a HUGE Brewers fan, but I know I wouldn't even do this if I were the Yankees.

I'm just curious, but what about Chamberlin and Hughes has impressed you that much that you wouldn't even consider trading ONE of them for a guy who can clearly be a Cy Young candidate if only he can remain healthy? Seriously, other than minor league numbers, what have they done? Chamberlin hasn't even pitched 25 innings and your acting as though he's the next Nolan Ryan or something. I don't think this in unrealistic at all considering the Yankees are always in win-now mode and Sheets can probably help them more than Chamberlin or Hughes could. If I were the Brewers, I would not consider trading Sheets unless both players were involved. I maybe overvaluing him, but at least he;s proven what kind of pitcher he can be. I'd sign him for another 3 year deal for about $9 million a year if he'd take it.

I don't think you'll find ANYONE that wouldn't sign him for another three years at $9 million per year. That's the problem, he'll get so much more, but what will the Brewers get for that so much more? 150 innings a year? 120? I'm not sure the Yankees are a match for a Sheets trade. But I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if the Brewers were to receive an offer of three arms with a decent ceiling and near ready (within a year) to the majors...I'm trading Sheets this off season if I'm Doug Melvin.

Interesting you brought up Seattle. How about a Sheets and Zach Jack to Seattle for Balentien and Clement?

I like Clement, but I'd rather have pitcher Tony Butler (Oak Creek HS) or better yet pitcher Ryan Feierabend.

I could actually live with this trade...

Chamberlain is a great prospect. He's going to be a solid #2 pitcher or a fringe ace in time. That is assuming the Yankees don't blow it and make him a reliever for good. He's going nowhere, the Yankees are commiting to their young players nowadays.

The only way the Yankees begin to think about discussing Joba or Hughes is if you throw in Sheets *and* Braun. After the mess the Yankees got themselves into a few years ago by dealing away their entire farm system, they will not part with their top prospects for just Ben Sheets, even if he is capable of being a Cy Young pitcher when healthy. I would hate to see Benny go to the evil empire, but I could live with it if they could manage to nab Robby Cano. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif (not going to happen, either, but I do like Cano).

Kenny Williams is due for his idiotic trade of the year...how about Sheets to the White Sox for Bobby Jenks? http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif Or how about to the Tigers for Andrew Miller? The Tigers could stand to share some of that starter prospect wealth.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

"how about Sheets and Zach Jack to Seattle for Balentien and Clement"

If you could then trade Balentien for a nearly major league ready arm (either starter or reliever), then that's not a bad return. I think you'd have to get some pitching back as part of any Sheets deal.

I'm not sure. With the depth the Brewers currently have, starting pitching doesn't seem like a glaring need. Yo is an ace in the making as he's shown, so he basically replaces Ben.

Yo's going to be good. Villanueva will probably be good. Suppan will probably be servicable. Parra could conceivably be good, but injuries are a serious concern. Bush, Vargas, and Capuano have been bounced in and out of the rotation this year. To me, that doesn't scream "depth", at least not where I wouldn't be looking for an upgrade.

Add that to the fact that we don't really have any quality starters ready in the minors. Inman is gone, obviously, Jackson hasn't impressed much of anybody, Rogers has never been able to stay healthy, so to say we have a lot of depth is a little off, I'd say. I think if we get 4 extra picks from losing CoCo and Linebrick, at least three of them have to go towards pitching.

Archived