Brewer Fanatic

Devil Rays new uniforms (unofficial)

SeriesFinale

Well, I'd heard that changes were to be made, including dropping the "Devil" from "Devil Rays." These supposed new logos are so drab and unprofessional looking that I wouldn't be completely shocked to find that they aren't official (and nothing has gone up on the Rays' website yet) but I saw this here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2631077

I kinda like the home uniforms, but they should have stayed with green.

http://ft.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/e9/e9c8432bd52ef4e8749e6ce9ec2081a536a97aed.jpg

http://ft.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/72/721197a13bf32781bd1710213564079681ab6a98.jpg

The Seattle Kansas City Royaners of Tampa. Seriously - that star thing? Right from the Mariners' logo.

This reminds me of the Brewers' (early mid-90's) uni change - an attempt to overcompensate (at least monetarily) for the crappy product on the field

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The biggest problem I see with those uniforms is that Baldelli is actually standing up.
(Rimshot)
(Uncomfortable chuckling)

They seem to be generic, and very bland. Much like the oatmeal served in every St. Petersburg retirement home.
(Rimshot)
(Silence and refusal to make eye contact)

Shouldn't Elijah Dukes' uniform pants have a built-in holster?
(Booing and throwing of drinks)

"Jeez. We need green in baseball, not more blue."

"Actually I disagree. Theres too much green in baseball"

Why not have the best of both worlds by reverting back to 1998?

http://delivery.viewimages.com/xv/313745.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19396908EAF14430D35A4FC324DC48B0553596BB9B998ED5BE9

Honestly though, the 'new' uniforms look like jerseys thought up for a fictitious baseball team in a bad sports movie.

And geez, is that light blue trim ever painful to look at!

Looks like a bad hybrid of the Padres' current uniforms and the Angels' nauseating Disney era (Angels in the Outfield vintage) periwinkle-trimmed fashion insults.

I missed what was wrong about the current ones. Is it because they blend in too well with the field turf in Tropicana Field?

I sure hope this whole design is just someone's guesswork and nothing official. At least their present uniforms look like baseball uniforms and not panzy outfits. And their fans can have nightmares of people dressed like a real baseball team. Now their play AND image will induce sleep deprivation.

One thing I found interesting on that site is that the only notes listed under Brewers uniform changes for next year is "Removal of commemorative sleeve patch". Other teams have "Elimination of current alternate home uniform" but not the Brewers. I guess that means the "Retro" jerseys are here for at least one more year. I was kind of hoping to get rid of those. I love them, but I want to move past 1982. And on that topic, looks like the Brewers started a trend. The Blue Jays and the Royals are both going with "retro" alternative uni's next year. Take a look at the Blue Jays. I thought I had seen the last of these mono-colored jumpsuits.

http://logan-1.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/66/66cd4bca46909fa93358078a07e62c3d2080fbf1.jpg

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

This return of powder blue as an allegedly hip baseball fashion trend blows me away. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to have gotten so sick and tired of the ugly powder blues as they lasted well into and through most of the '80s, and I'll never get over the fact that they were a worn-out, ugly look that should never return.

Maybe that's why I had a similar feeling of revulsion when bell bottoms made a return to "cool" status about 10 years ago -- because I remember when they were on their way out and most folks were so thankful because they were a bad look that needed to go away.

I still wish the Brewers would ditch the '82 look after this year and come up with a new alternate uniform (in anything but powder blue!) that blends a look of the current color scheme with the MB/glove logo and maybe even the pinstripes of that era -- something forward-looking yet at the same time "tipping its cap" to the Brewers' look of the past. Then again, there was a hefty thread I'll never figure out how to find that dissected all this in great depth from a couple years ago before the retro uniforms were unveiled that included some neat attempts at the design. Can any of you moderator/founder types bring that thread out of the mothballs in the form of a link? Who was the BF.net staffer who did such a great job with so many of those graphics?

Anyway, a continued "boo! hiss!" at these new Tampa Bay uniforms.

sbryl, I agree that pinstripes would do wonders for those gad-awful uni's. The cool thing is that they could go with their navy or even use black for the stripes - which would open up some cool alternate jersey color combos. Pinstripes would definitely bail them out, but to be fair, the conceptual sketch for the current Brewers unis doesn't look that great, either - and I love our current look.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Those powder blue Toronto jerseys are interesting. If they were going to bring back jerseys from that era, I would have thought it would be the white ones, or the royal blue alternate they wore. I always thought those jerseys were sharp, classy, and distinct to the Blue Jays. The powder blues...not so much.

that model isn't just any "player." thats Geoff. outside of work, instead of a nice polo or what have you, he dons a jersey with this self-given nickname. (a la George's t-bone from Seinfeld) He has also been talking to the soon to be Rays about a long term contract starting next year. He decided hes been with one team through so many losses, and has single-handedly resurrected them to a winning team, hes going to do it all again!! They are not very close though my reports say. The Rays are offering 7 yrs $126 thinking that he can throw a nasty curve and has won a CY young over on the west coast somewhere. After explaining what an outfielder actually does for a baseball team, Geoff came back to the perplexed Rays organization with a 9 yr $141.5 stating "Hey, look at that old guy with a gotee in Colorado, I'm that good! I want to get paid as much as he does!"

Archived