Brewer Fanatic

Bucks match Bell offer sheet

dpapo

It appears as though the Bucks have matched the offer sheet Charlie Bell got from the Heat. Interesting to see how this things plays out after all the complaining and statements Bell made about the Bucks.

Bucks match Heat's offer for Bell

By Charles F. Gardner
Thursday, Sep 20 2007, 01:25 PM

The Milwaukee Bucks today matched the Miami Heat's five-year, $18 million offer sheet to guard Charlie Bell, according to National Basketball Association sources.

The Heat extended the offer on Monday, and the Bucks had seven days to respond.

Bell had said he wanted to go to Miami and hoped the Bucks would not match the offer. Milwaukee's previous offer had been a three-year deal for $9 million.

Miami was rebuffed in its second off-season attempt to land a key member of the Bucks' backcourt. Earlier this summer, the Heat made a five-year, $31 million offer to unrestricted free agent Mo Williams, who wound up signing a six-year, $52 million deal with the Bucks.

Bell visited Miami last weekend and was impressed with the opportunity with the Heat.

The former Michigan State guard said he was unhappy with negotiations with the Bucks this summer and did not want to return.

"Inside my heart, I just won't be there," Bell said last week. "I won't feel the same toward the organization."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/bucks/archive/2007/09/20/bucks-match-heat-s-offer-for-bell.aspx

from all his comments, all he wants is a long-term deal so he doesn't have to move his family. maybe if the Bucks offer that to him he'll be ok with us again.

of course the following year we'll probably trade him and then he'll be really mad.

The whole Bucks team doesn't like Milwaukee.... Bogut, Yi, Bell. They should have awesome chemistry.
Works out well. Most of Milwaukee doesn't like the Bucks.

Ha! thats funny. It's true, I could really care less about the Bucks. Really the NBA for that matter, and really basketball as a whole. If it were not for the NCAA toruney I would probably forget about B-ball all together. And that is sad because when I was younger it was my #2 sport behind baseball. Now Its all about baseball and football.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I really like the Bucks -- I'm a pro sports homer. The NBA in general though is just not appealing. If they played in a different state, I probably wouldn't follow the NBA at all. How sad is it? Remember when Jordan came back and 3 peated? I watched the NBA every weekend back then. Now I could care less about any other team.

I really like the Bucks -- I'm a pro sports homer. The NBA in general though is just not appealing. If they played in a different state, I probably wouldn't follow the NBA at all. How sad is it? Remember when Jordan came back and 3 peated? I watched the NBA every weekend back then. Now I could care less about any other team.

When you had guys like MJ, Bird, Magic and a lot of the greats from the 80's and 90's it was fun. Not anymore.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

JJHardy, I am right with you. I will watch a bucks game if I am home or at a bar and they are on. To me though there is nothing more boring that watching 2 out of market NBA teams play. If the Heat are on I might watch some to see Wade, the Rockets to see Novak, or the Pacers to see Diener, but besides watching the former MU players, I couldn't care less.

I think it's pretty accurate to say the most athletic guys in the world (as an overall group) are playing in the NBA. That's not a stretch to me at all, with both football and American football not far behind.
What am I missing? Why do a lot of people think the NBA have the best athletes?

Call me crazy, but I think the NBA has been dying ever since NBC lost its contract 5 years ago. Nowadays, the NBA just doesn't seem like a big deal anymore.

And I find it interesting that nobody ever says they "hate" MLB or the NFL, but a good number do say that about the NBA.

Hate to bring this thread on topic, but Charlie Bell is a decent backup who at times can be very good. $3.5m/year isn't that much in the NBA (even for a backup), and could be a huge bargain if the new coaching staff can help him become a bit more consistent.

"What am I missing? Why do a lot of people think the NBA have the best athletes?"

They do have the best athletes. Go to a game and see the incredible things large athletes can do on the floor, it's really impressive. Do you see what Corey Hart does in baseball in terms of athletic ability? Almost all shooting guards are much better athletes than him and that is not a knock on CH at all. There are exceptions of course but those guys are not usually a player that is worth anything. The things Shaq can do (or at least used to be able to do) are not only funny but incredible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In my opinion, NBA small forwards are the best all around athletes in the world. They can run, jump out of the building, have ridiculous hand eye coordination, possess the flexibility of gymnasts, and have an unnatural ability to adjust their bodies in mid air. About the only other pro athletes that compare are wide receivers in football.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"What am I missing? Why do a lot of people think the NBA have the best athletes?"

They do have the best athletes. Go to a game and see the incredible things large athletes can do on the floor, it's really impressive. Do you see what Corey Hart does in baseball in terms of athletic ability? Almost all shooting guards are much better athletes than him and that is not a knock on CH at all. There are exceptions of course but those guys are not usually a player that is worth anything. The things Shaq can do (or at least used to be able to do) are not only funny but incredible.

Are you really comparing a NBA to a MLB player? Of course the NBA player is going to be more athletic. That's an awful comparison.

Why don't you compare a NBA player with a player from another sport? I am not taking anything away from MLB players they are very skilled and athletically gifted individuals, but compare them to a sport that is a little more demanding, such as NFL, or NHL.

I have been to NBA games many of times. I am not that impressed with somebody running the floor jumping in the air and slam dunking the ball, sorry.

"compare them to a sport that is a little more demanding, such as NFL, or NHL. "

The NFL is more demanding? Are you serious? Most plays run very few seconds then there is a long pause and you only play one side of the ball? Awful comparison yourself. The NHL is more demanding but very few NHL players are athletic. I think you just don't like the NBA or maybe do not understand what athleticism is.

Archived