Brewer Fanatic

Sheets - Hamstring strain. Rotation Now (Latest: Sheets a no-go for Sunday)

lcbj68c
Just updating the ERA's versus the Cubbies this year. From best to worst

McClung/Acquino 0.00

Villanueva 2.35 (maybe not such a bad option)

Suppan 2.84

Gallardo 3.00

Turnbow/Wise 3.38

Shouse 3.60

Capuano 3.86

Sheets 3.91

Linebrink 5.40 (with appearances as a padre also)

Cordero 6.23

Bush 7.00

Vargas 7.94

Spurling 8.10

Acquino is the obvious choice to be the starter for a one-game playoff.

I think McClung starts with Aquino as the closer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do I somehow fear a start by Vargas? With the following justification: "We needed to rest our best starters for the playoffs" replied Yost on why he didn't use Suppan, Gallardo, or Villanueva in the one game playoff. "I didn't have too many options. If we start one of those guys, then who pitches games 1, 2 or 3 of the divisional series?"

I think the Brewers are expecting Sheets to miss his start. Last night they could have used Cappy in extra innings to try and extending the game. (Assuming that they don't use Coco unless it is a save situation) Cappy could have pitched the 10th, 11th, 12th...etc until he lost the game or we took the lead.

By saving Cappy they have an option should Sheets miss his start. Maybe I am reading into this a little too much - but I have to imagine that factored into the Wise sighting last night.

By saving Cappy they have an option should Sheets miss his start. Maybe I am reading into this a little too much - but I have to imagine that factored into the Wise sighting last night.

I agree that they must be at least considering that scenario but I don't think it is a forgone conclusion until at least after the MRI.

In last night's postgame comment, Yost said that if Sheets can't make his start on Sunday, that he is considering Capuano because of his good numbers vs ATL.

Certain pitchers might be expected to do better in certain kinds of parks (eg: a flyball pitcher doing better in a park that supresses HRs) but against a particular opponent? Not really. Cappy has 91 total AB against current Brave batters. That kind of sample is not going to give you any kind of insight on what to expect from Cappy against them, going forward. But as a self professed stat guru, I'm sure Yost already knows that.

I don't know about any sort of long-term risk, but I think it's pretty safe to say a pitcher with a strain on one of the key muscles he uses to [EDIT: perform his sexy leg-kick] would have a hard time [looking awesome.]
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is this injury as simple as not enough stretching? It happened very early in the game - it's not like he had been exerting himself for several innings.

I was wondering the same thing, especially since it's not his push-off leg. I know that it takes a pounding to keep on landing on it 100+ times per game, but it sort of surprises me that he would tweak it after after one inning.

I know he's our guy, and he's not trying to get hurt all the time, but . . . well, I think I need to activate my internal expletive filter here.

Archived