Brewer Fanatic

Sheets - Hamstring strain. Rotation Now (Latest: Sheets a no-go for Sunday)

lcbj68c

I have yet to see any updates on Ben Sheets today and can only assume it isn't good news, as if it were, you'd think they would want to supress the fan base's worst fears? I've projected the rest of the rotation given no off days and have noticed that Suppan would pitch the final game vs SDG. I'm perfectly fine with that given his playoff experience, howvever, barring a tie with the cubbies, it would be Villanueva in that 1 game playoff. Without looking at ERA's at Wrigley Field, surely this can't be the best way for the stars to align? If Sheets does return and we flat out win the division, it looks like a normal 5 days rest or more would be achieveable for him to start Game 1. Back to the thoughts of the 1 game playoff, would ytou rather have Villanueva or perhaps Gallardo on 3 days rest?

HOU - BUSH

ATL - SUPPAN

ATL - VILLANUEVA

ATL - GALLARDO

ATL - SHEETS (VARGAS)

STL - BUSH

STL - SUPPAN

STL - VILLANUEVA

SDG- GALLARDO

SDG- SHEETS (VARGAS)

SDG- BUSH

SDG- SUPPAN

PLAYOFF TIEBREAKER - VILLANUEVA?? (gulp!)

(Updated to reflect hamstring strain, announced Thursday PM - hawing)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only starters who are worth sending out on 3 days rest are Sheets and Gallardo, and I don't think you can take that risk with either one of them. The other guys are all pretty much 'mix and match', so there's no point in doing anything there.

Outside of that, I suppose you can parenthesis (VARGAS/CAPUANO).

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Regarding who would start the 1 game playoff against the Cubs if that's what it ends up being:

We've got 12 games left, and no days off. So no skipped starts. Assuming Sheets makes his next start, which I think he will, and no one goes on 3 days rest between now and the end of the season, the last 5 games will start Villanueva, Gallardo, Sheets, Bush, and Suppan, in that order.

So Sheets would probably be out of the question only being on 2 days rest. Suppan obviously couldn't go. It would be down to Villanueva starting on normal rest, or Gallardo on 3 days rest.

We're already straining Gallardo to his limits this year, seems like an awful lot of pressure to put 25 years of missed playoffs onto a 21 year old kid's shoulders for 1 game on 3 days rest. Either way, we'd be counting on one of the young guns, and that's fine.

Unless they decided to really roll the dice, and go with Capuano, since he historically dominantes the Cubs, who struggle against lefties. If that worked, Ned would be hailed a genius for years to come, and he'd be run out of town if Cappy failed.

Just updating the ERA's versus the Cubbies this year. From best to worst

McClung/Acquino 0.00

Villanueva 2.35 (maybe not such a bad option)

Suppan 2.84

Gallardo 3.00

Turnbow/Wise 3.38

Shouse 3.60

Capuano 3.86

Sheets 3.91

Linebrink 5.40 (with appearances as a padre also)

Cordero 6.23

Bush 7.00

Vargas 7.94

Spurling 8.10

Why are we hating on Villanueva here? I love the guy, and if Sheets isn't healthy he's my number one guy for a big game. You could make an argument for Suppan but he hasn't shown anything yet this year to make me trust him. Yeah Villy had a rough stretch earlier in the year, but he was seriously overworked for awhile there and is more comfortable as a starter anyway.

Waaaayyyy too much golf left to even try and project this - especially in light of the Sheets situation. If he were to need a couple extra days, you may want him to go against St. Louis and have him ready for the final game of the year, perhaps having Suppan available for a one game tie-breaker. Maybe Suppan works on short rest at some point. I assume Yost and Maddux have multiple ideas on paper somewhere, but at this point it truly is one game at a time. Soemone gets knocked out early, ejected, whatever, ,and everything changes. Last night provides plenty of evidence of that.

but if it is indeed a cramp (i know, we have no idea yet), couldn't Sheets then pitch tomorrow, since that would be 5 days' rest, and not necessarily have to wait until his next scheduled start? or maybe the day after, to rest from his one inning of work last night.

Why are we hating on Villanueva here?

I don't see any hate in the posts above. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I think naivin may be onto something. If this is a situation where Ben's turn is moved, but not skipped, all kinds of stuff could change.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I just can't believe we have three series left and are in 1st place! How exciting is that!

I know we've already got a nice winning streak going, but how about we rattle another 5 consecutive games off and put two or three between us and the Cubs. Then we can just let it happen the rest of the way....

Does anyone remember any post season injuries like this where an important pitcher got "dinged" a little, but still came back again in the playoffs/or stretch drive? My memory seems to recall as if there is someone recently. It would seem to be "push it" territory for Sheets a bit right now. It is not May anymore. If you have a minor strain, give it go. If he has something major where he will compensate for his ailing leg by altering his delivery and then possibly blowing out his arm, then it wouldn't be a good idea.

His arm is ready to throw, they just have to fit him in there when his leg is better, all the while keeping the looming playoff schedule possibilities in their minds when it comes to when to put him on the hill again.

Just updating the ERA's versus the Cubbies this year. From best to worst

McClung/Acquino 0.00

Villanueva 2.35 (maybe not such a bad option)

Suppan 2.84

Gallardo 3.00

Turnbow/Wise 3.38

Shouse 3.60

Capuano 3.86

Sheets 3.91

Linebrink 5.40 (with appearances as a padre also)

Cordero 6.23

Bush 7.00

Vargas 7.94

Spurling 8.10

Acquino is the obvious choice to be the starter for a one-game playoff.

If it were any kind of tear..or major strain...i wouldn't think he would have been running around after it happened. Generally, injuries like this always feel worse the next day (as the Rock always points out) so hopefully they are taking the precautionary step of an MRI because his hammy is still a bit tender/tight today.

Does anyone remember any post season injuries like this where an important pitcher got "dinged" a little, but still came back again in the playoffs/or stretch drive? My memory seems to recall as if there is someone recently.

Please... no... anything but references to....

http://blogs.phillynews.com/inquirer/zozone/bloody%20sock.jpg

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived