Brewer Fanatic

Let the F. Cordero Talks Begin...

Ashford Lando

This was discussed way back when. With today's news, it's a good time for a new thread. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Well "considering" Milwaukee just means he'll say "Milwaukee, thanks for the memories" when we offer him 2 year, $14 mil contract with a club option when the Cubs offer him 6 years $50 mil. Gosh I hope he doesn't go to the Cubs.

Rumor has it that Gagne could don Brewer pinstripes next season. If the Brewers lose Cordero, I hope they are able to find a better replacement than Turnbow. We've all had enough heart attacks this season. Troy Percival has been really good for the Cards, maybe he'd consider coming over.

A guy still under contract has only nice things to say about the organization. I don't think that really tells us anything. What does hint at his future is that fact that Cordero has told anyone who will listen that he is one of the best closers in the league. If he really believes that, he's going to want to be paid like one.

Percival said he want's to do another half season. I have hopes that McClung can figure it out and be in the back end. If not I'm sure Melvin can find something. Lets not sign a 32 year old closer to anything more than 3 years.

I feel we have a much better shot at Linebrink than Cordero, because Scott will not come with the bloated "proven closer" contract. I would not really have a problem with Frankie getting $8-10M per, but for no more than 3 years. He's 32 now, and that's usually a mighty steep decline, especially considering his "build", he is not likely to be effective in his late 30's.

I'd go with Linebrink. Coco's a little too old in my opinion to give the amount of money and years someone else will commit. I think McClung is more than mop up garbage, but I don't see the Brewers giving him a shot at closer unless Linebrink or a few other options fall through. McClung would have to be lights out in spring training.

With a pitcher of kool-aid next to me, I'm gonna sit back and let Doug/Jack find our next diamond-in-the-rough closer.

I hope they can find someone good if they don't re sign cordero. I have no confidence in Linebrink or Turnbow to take over the closers job. Without coco, the Brewers wouldn't be close to where they are now.

I agree that I would be in shock to see CoCo resign with us. He's a great closer and deserves the money he will get. But the Brewers need to be cost effective and we can take a step down with Linebrink, Turnbow, McClung, or whomever and use that money elsewhere. Simply a buisness deal, and I hope he understands. Just like him leaving to the team with the most money, it's about the finances.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Rivera is making $10.5 million on a contract he signed 4 years ago. Rviera was better but its 4 years latter, so a 3 year $32 million contract is very possible for Cordero. Again with the Yankees in the market, closers are going to be expensive next season.

Signing 33 year old players is risky business. Signing an inconsistent 33 year old player may be foolish. He's lost the closer's role once before. I guess I'm the kind of guy who believes the closer is just around the meltdown corner. Let him walk. To the right team we should get two good picks. Let Linebrink go--two more nice picks. Somebody will step forward, cheap closers can be found.

I say let him go. That way we can have Turnbow as the closer and bring in a younger better reliever who we can use in the most important innings and use Turnbow for the start of the 9th inning when the bases are clear.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 1 month later...
Who do we know is interested in Cordero? I remember in a thread a little bit ago he was offered 4 years over 40 million but is that a for sure? Rosenthal seems to think there isnt much interest which is great for us. Maybe we can get him for 3 years.

Archived