Brewer Fanatic

9/19/2007 Milwaukee (Bush) at Houston (Gutirrez) 7:05 CDT

ELCABALLO45
  • Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Inexcusable loss. The first person who talks statistics to justify the loss ought to join Yost in getting skewered in the press room after this game. A huge opportunity absolutely given away. Now the sledding gets much tougher against much better pitching than we've seen here. Hard to say we need a miracle when you're only a game down, but this game will only give you so many chances.

If Ned Yost is not fired after this season, I am no longer a Brewer fan and am going to change my allegiance over to the Chicago team we are battling for a division title.

Just typing that is treason

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

To heck with Bush's 7th inning jinx. Looking at how poorly the bullpen pitched, why in the world didn't they leave Bush in? It's not like he would've done much worse. For as much as he's been shaky lately, he was pitching well. I don't get it.

Man, that's twice in the past week, I believe, where a very promising game situation in the late innings has gone just the opposite of how it could've/should've gone. At least there were some clutch play to bring it back to even.

Still, they won 2 out of 3 in Houston, and the Braves, knock on wood, haven't been lighting the world on fire lately.

Hard not to keep thinking, though, that this could've been 3 out of 3.

Anyone else notice that the Reds had the go-ahead run (that pesky Norris Hopper, no less) thrown out at the plate by a mile to end their 8th, then the Cubs catch the breaks and get the go-ahead run across in their half of the 8th? I'm sure tired of those dumb Cubs catching breaks at the wrong time (from the Brewers perspective).

Yep, you bring in Matt Wise to face the heart of the Astro order with a very well rested closer getting even more rest.

That was the definition of Yosted right there.

Heck Capuano would have been better than Wise there. Or how about Vargas? Oh yeah he wasn't available because our $10 million dollar "ace" hurt himself warming up last night.

I'm not anti-Yost at all, but some of the moves tonight were bad. That said, if the guys execute, then the plan doesn't totally backfire. However....

Matt Wise is nothing short of atrocious and had no business being in a clutch spot in a pennant race game after the first two baserunners reached. He's a great guy and a good injury-comeback success story. But right now he's pitching like crap.

I hope he doesn't pitch the rest of the season unless the Brewers' lead is 6 runs or greater. Kinda like the original "protect Valerio de los Santos" criteria. Anyway, hopefully their opponents don't have a lead of anything greater than 2 runs the next two weeks.

I'm not anti-Yost at all, but some of the moves tonight were bad. That said, if the guys execute, then the plan doesn't totally backfire. However....

Matt Wise is nothing short of atrocious and had no business being in a clutch spot in a pennant race game after the first two baserunners reached. He's a great guy and a good injury-comeback success story. But right now he's pitching like crap.

I hope he doesn't pitch the rest of the season unless the Brewers' lead is 6 runs or greater. Kinda like the original "protect Valerio de los Santos" criteria. Anyway, hopefully their opponents don't have a lead of anything greater than 2 runs the next two weeks.

Well, yeah--that's why everyone is all over Yost for putting Matt in that situation. EVERYONE BUT YOST saw it coming.

But I assume Yost is responsible for those decisions, so he's to blame, so it's his fault?

If a manager isn't responsible for his decision-making, you don't need a manager. Being a game manger is about decisionmaking.

Tonight isn't Yost's 'fault' any more than it is a lot of player's 'fault' I agree with you that many people are way to quick to want to affix blame for things. Cery often there is nobody to reasonably blame for the way things turn out, whether you're talking about baseball or anything else. But that doesn't maen that you simply throw up your hands and attribute everything to fate, either. People do make decisions, and over the long run you evaluate those decisions in the big picture. Individual decisions are sometimes scrutinized more than they should be in terms of thier immediate impact, but if you don't think that there are at least reasonable questions to be asked about how Ned goes about his business, I guesss we don't have much else to talk about.

if you close a tight game pitching Spurling, Stetter, and Wise consecutively can you honestly expect to win that game? maybe before Wise plunked the guy in the face, but that's only if Spurling and Stetter miraculously get through their inning (which they somehow managed to do). i must say though, i was extremely disappointed in the way Linebrink and Shouse pitched tonight. i am perhaps even more disappointed that we yanked Bush after 6 innings with only 78 pitches. sure he struggles in the 7th, but come on at least let him face batters until he gives up a hit or a walk.

disappointing loss, but if we at least split with the Braves we should be in decent shape. a series win would be enormous...5-2 road trip would be ideal

disappointing loss, but if we at least split with the Braves we should be in decent shape. a series win would be enormous...5-2 road trip would be ideal

That's why tonight's loss is expecially disappointing and angering... a sweep against a bad Houston team gives the Crew much more breathing room in Atlanta.

Bush couldn't pitch the 7th because he ran 1st to 3rd? That's either a terrible excuse for not pinch running for him or Dave Bush needs to do some endurance training.

As soon as I saw him running first to third, I said to myself that Bush is somehow going to go bad the rest of the night... I don't know how he fared after that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's why he came out when he did.

That's why tonight's loss is expecially disappointing and angering... a sweep against a bad Houston team gives the Crew much more breathing room in Atlanta.

oh don't get me wrong, i understand that. hate to not get a sweep heading into Atlanta, especially after coming back in the 9th like we did.

assuming the Cubs go 5-4, which considering who they're facing they should at least do, we'll need to take 3 of 4 from either the Braves or Padres, at least split the other one and sweep the Cardinals (because it's hard to see us taking 3 of 4 from both the Padres and the Braves considering the aces each team has).

we really need some help from the Pirates, Marlins, and Reds

oh don't get me wrong, i understand that. hate to not get a sweep heading into Atlanta, especially after coming back in the 9th like we did.

assuming the Cubs go 5-4, which considering who they're facing they should at least do, we'll need to take 3 of 4 from either the Braves or Padres, at least split the other one and sweep the Cardinals (because it's hard to see us taking 3 of 4 from both the Padres and the Braves considering the aces each team has).

we really need some help from the Pirates, Marlins, and Reds

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing or anything.

Wow, what a disheartening turn of events.

Archived