Brewer Fanatic

Tony LaRussa

sheetswannabe
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone hear this? About the Brewers and Cubs? During his speech he said, he'd rather see his team lose to Milwaukee than win to help the Cubs. Anyone think he will try to help us when we play him? And maybe?? Hes our manager next year?

Edited: I was wondering if anyone heard this because, my friend said he had heard it on a radio station.

(added tag --1992)

Oh the coiracy theories are suddenly flying time -- between Cecil Cooper and Bobby Cox's history/relationship with Yost, and Larussa's dislike of Pinellia and the Cubs. Many Chicagoans are convincing themselves that the Brewers are going to have all teh help they need to win this thing. Its crazy talk, but then again, we are talking about Cub fans.

Maybe LaRussa will manage the Brewers next year because him managing clearly would have given us 15 more wins this year.

you put this in blue, however you know you're just baiting people I'll take the bait, if LaRussa were managing this team, we would have the division pretty much locked up.

Now about the quote, he is the Cardinals manager whos biggest rival is the Cubs. Of course he hates the Cubs. It would be great if the Cards kinda rolled over, although I don't really see that happening

It'd be wonderful to see Pujols take his needed rest against the Brewers.

It would also be quite exciting to see LaRussa come to the Brewers, however I'm pretty sure Yost is staying put. He's a finalist for MOTY, and would likely get it if we make the playoffs.

Could I see Cox resting a bunch of guys against the Brewers, especially if the Braves look to have a winning record near sewn up? Yes. However, LaRussa is likely just making CYA statements for his team that is completely spent and Cooper is managing for a job.

Again, is there a link to this "speech"? Not trying to question the original post. However, I would think if he actually came out and said "he'd rather see his team lose to Milwaukee than win to help the Cubs", that the league would want to look into those remarks.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

...if LaRussa were managing this team, we would have the division pretty much locked up.

You base that opion on what exactly...the Cards 83 win season last year, or their 70-79 record this year?

umm, even in that 83 in season, he won the world series! The fact that his team right now has 70 wins and was in contention just as little as a couple weeks ago was amazing in itself. I'm not going to have this conversation about Yost and LaRussa, because LaRussa is a much much better manager. Its not even close

...if LaRussa were managing this team, we would have the division pretty much locked up.

You base that opion on what exactly...the Cards 83 win season last year, or their 70-79 record this year?

The fact the team won the world series with a pretty untalented bunch and then was in the playoff hunt in the final month with a downright terrible roster.

The fact that they won 100+ games multiple times with good but not elite teams.

The fact that when I watch him run his team its pretty rare that I sit back and scratch my head and say to myself... wth is this guy thinking. Not that he never does anything wrong, but Yost has had some moments this year where I think he did the actual worst move he could make, there is gray area and there is just stupid and Yost crosses into the stupid column with me once a month.

The fact the team won the world series with a pretty untalented bunch and then was in the playoff hunt in the final month with a downright terrible roster.

The fact that when I watch him run his team its pretty rare that I sit back and scratch my head and say to myself... wth is this guy thinking. Not that he never does anything wrong, but Yost has had some moments this year where I think he did the actual worst move he could make, there is gray area and there is just stupid and Yost crosses into the stupid column with me once a month.

We are still talking about the guy who has repeatedly put the pitcher 8th in the batting order, right?

I too have little doubt that if LaRussa was our manager we'd have atleast a few more wins. Not many, but maybe 2-3. As with ennder, whenever I watch LaRussa manage I really don't have alot of thoughts about how bad of a move something was, aside from leaving Pujols on the bench in the All-Star Game.

I don't think batting the pitcher 8th is a big deal. The guy has to bat somewhere so it's not going to make a huge difference anyways. The only time I could see it really hurting is if you put up a huge first inning and still have guys on base and the pitcher gets up. But either way, if he makes the last out in the first, atleast he doesn't make the first out in the second. That sort of thing doesn't bother me at all.

We are still talking about the guy who has repeatedly put the pitcher 8th in the batting order, right?

There are sabermetric studies that show that what he is doing is actually slightly better than a normal lineup so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. His #9 hitters also aren't really much better than a pitcher to begin with.

This IS Larussa we're talking about right? Baseball sage? "The thinkin man's manager"? He's teflon..He could come out and say "I have a hankerin' to throw these last bunch o games so that the Cubs and their fans put on bad stocking caps, stand in the bleachers and cry".. Nothing will happen..

from the games I've been able to catch lately, it seems like LaRussa is giving a decent amount of the SS playing time to Brendan Ryan.

Yea, Ryan has been getting a lot of PT (he put up great numbers in July, August too, but not as nice) and appears to have been an everyday starter since August 12th (his game log has a gap from 7/26-8/12 - was he injured?). What I'm not sure about is where most of those starts occured, since Eckstein has an 'everyday' look to his ABs, too.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived