Brewer Fanatic

Question? What becomes of a protest?

Klements Bratwurst

From MLB.com:

Reds Vs. Cubs (9/17/07)

Cincinnati manager Pete Mackanin filed a protest in the sixth after Cubs manager Lou Piniella inserted Eyre and catcher Geovany Soto in a double switch. Mackanin said Piniella didn't tell home plate umpire Rick Reed about the two moves first, which is a violation of Rule 3.03.

I have seen other protests occur, but never really find out what really happens with them. I don't suppose the Cubs will lose this one, and if they did what happens????

thanks for the info, and good, compelling question

EDIT: I'd have to imagine the punishment would be (most likely) suspension(s) for the Cubs' coaching staff, and discipline/reprimand for umpires involved at the end of the season in their annual evaluations. Just a guess.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If a replay is involved, I believe the game is replayed from the point of the protest. This is all I've found so far:

PROTESTING GAMES.

Each league shall adopt rules governing procedure for protesting a game, when a manager claims that an umpire's decision is in violation of these rules. No protest shall ever be permitted on judgment decisions by the umpire. In all protested games, the decision of the League President shall be final.

Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless in the opinion of the League President the violation adversely affected the protesting team's chances of winning the game.

Rule 4.19 Comment: Whenever a manager protests a game because of alleged misapplication of the rules the protest will not be recognized unless the umpires are notified at the time the play under protest occurs and before the next pitch, play or attempted play. A protest arising on a game-ending play may be filed until 12 noon the following day with the league office.

Obviously, anything referring to the leagues and league presidents would now be the commissioner's office.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This is from the scoring rules, but it implies that upheld protests are replayed from the point that the protest was filed:

10.01(b)

(3) If the game is protested or suspended, the official scorer shall make a note of the exact situation at the time of the protest or suspension, including the score, the number of outs, the position of any runners, the ball-and-strike count on the batter, the lineups of both teams and the players who have been removed from the game for each team.

Rule 10.01(b)(3) Comment: It is important that a suspended game resume with exactly the same situation as existed at the time of suspension. If a protested game is ordered replayed from the point of protest, the game must be resumed with exactly the situation that existed just before the protested play.

I saw this on the Cubs telecast... Piniella had clearly crossed the third base line before going back to the umpire to make the double switch. It was a rules violation. Will Mackannin's (alright, I have no idea how to spell his last name without looking it up) protest result in anything fruitful for the Brewers? I doubt it. I just wish the Reds bullpen had been less fruitful for the Scrubs.

I saw this on the Cubs telecast... Piniella had clearly crossed the third base line before going back to the umpire to make the double switch. It was a rules violation.
My gut says that Piniella violated the rules, but that the situation didn't adversely affect the protesting team's chances of winning the game.

If anything, it shows how arcane the MLB rules are. The umpiring crew might get a "hey, pay attention", but there's nothing else that will even be considered. I'd say it's a perfect example of the sport needing to make things simpler by doing some stuff to eliminate such goofy minor crap.

I was watching a Cubs game 2 weeks or so ago and the ump didn't let Lou make a double switch because he hadn't gone to him first. Lou had to scramble and I forget who but I think a non-outfielder had to be inserted in the outfield. It appears he still hasn't learned how to do it right.

Archived