Brewer Fanatic

Why was the roof closed Saturday?

TauPentaRei

Perhaps this is bound for the Off-Topic arena... but then again, when I think playoff baseball I think of players seeing their breath, fans under blankets and the sharpest crack of the bat reverberating though crisp cool autumnal air.

Yeah I invested in some Brewers merch in anticipation of just such an atmosphere - a fatty ball and glove hoodie - and much to my dismay I entered the balmy confines of a ball of energy that is released from 40,000 excited people drinking beer, aka Miller Park. No outdoor wall panels open neither!

Jebus himself could not have drawn up a more perfect September Saturday night in which to watch baseball, OUTSIDE!

This is purely anecdotal, but apparently Melvin was hosting a Q & A session with a bunch of people (my parents included) the other night in the 1982 suite, and one of the typical questions coming from the typical non-baseball person regarded the roof. Doug's answer was explicit because it was the only thing my Ma remembered: the Brewers perform better with the roof closed.

Well, count me amongst the disenfranchised; so help me if they turn the heat on.

Community Moderator
I don't care if it's 80 and sunny, it should be closed the rest of the year and playoffs. The Brewers play better with it closed and it will also make it louder and give us more of a home field advantage. Only open it if Bud forces us to (see Houston, 2005).

I'm a wimp. I like it closed when it's below 60-65.

Although I do understand what you are saying about the whole fall playoff/penant race atmosphere and the cool Sept/Oct nights.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think you answered your own question there Tau. If the Brewers play better with the roof closed I say keep it closed. I think most people would rather watch a baseball game outside. But above that they would like to see there team WIN THE GAME. I guess my point is which is more important to you watching a game in the environment that best suits you or the Milwaukee Brewers? Personally if the Brewers played better baseball under water or on the moon I would say play the games on the moon under water.

I like that whole Fall baseball atmosphere also - on TV. Cold is cold, and the roof should be closed when its cold. Watching that place rock on Saturday night though really got me hopiing that the Brewers are still in the thick of it when next week rolls around. I would love to see that place jammed and full of energy for the most meaningful games played around here in 15 years. This road trip is massive!

Jimbo[/b]]The roof was closed Saturday night because it was cold.

I don't think 40,000 would have shown up if the venue was County Stadium vs. MP.

Well partially yes, and that is part of the problem; Wisconsonites have gone soft. I see 55K Mets fans managed to find sweatshirts before going to Shea, 36K went outside in Boston that night, and 32K braved the seasonal conditions at Jacobs Field. Baseball is a six month sport and therefore subject to weather variations, it's part of its charm. My experience Saturday - to say nothing of the amazing chessboard nature of the late innings - was rather desensitizing. It was September-quality baseball played in a generic thermostat vacuum.

And partially no, because 40,000 people wake up Saturday morning and drive from LaCrosse, Eau Claire, Green Bay knowing they will see a baseball game no questions ask - no rainout, no voucher, no parking money sunk. Just a planned outing to see a baseball game guaranteed is the reasoning behind the roof investment. No one thinks "well, I'd really like to see the Brewers tonight but I'm not going to go because it's cold. I think all those people enjoy the cold to one degree or another (pun intended).

Kudos to Minnesnowtans for green-lighting the outdoor park.

Part of my issue with the cold weather is not so much me, but my wife. I do hate cold weather with a passion, but I would never forego a baseball game (especially a late season meaningful baseball game), just because it's a little chilly. I married someone who was not really a big baseball fan. After 14 years and hundreds of baseball games and several trips to spring training and giving birth to a son who is also a big baseball fan, she has taken a little more of an interest in baseball.

However, I was never comfortable sitting next to my wife at County stadium on a 40 degree day in April with the wind whipping around the mostly empty stadium, knowing that she was ready to leave by the top of the 2nd inning. Now, I can take her to a game knowing that she's not so uncomfortable that she want's to leave.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Jimbo[/b]]The roof was closed Saturday night because it was cold.

I don't think 40,000 would have shown up if the venue was County Stadium vs. MP.

Well partially yes, and that is part of the problem; Wisconsonites have gone soft. I see 55K Mets fans managed to find sweatshirts before going to Shea, 36K went outside in Boston that night, and 32K braved the seasonal conditions at Jacobs Field. Baseball is a six month sport and therefore subject to weather variations, it's part of its charm. My experience Saturday - to say nothing of the amazing chessboard nature of the late innings - was rather desensitizing. It was September-quality baseball played in a generic thermostat vacuum.

And partially no, because 40,000 people wake up Saturday morning and drive from LaCrosse, Eau Claire, Green Bay knowing they will see a baseball game no questions ask - no rainout, no voucher, no parking money sunk. Just a planned outing to see a baseball game guaranteed is the reasoning behind the roof investment. No one thinks "well, I'd really like to see the Brewers tonight but I'm not going to go because it's cold. I think all those people enjoy the cold to one degree or another (pun intended).

Kudos to Minnesnowtans for green-lighting the outdoor park.

Did you really use The Cleveland Indians as an example of why a roof in Milwaukee is a bad thing?

Talk about a short term memory.

If the Brewers are in the World Series, chances are that the roof will remain open, no matter the temperature, a la Houston in 2005. But, I guess I'm in the minority. As long as it's not raining or snowing, keep the roof open. Baseball in the cold is more fun.

Crewin06[/b]]

Did you really use The Cleveland Indians as an example of why a roof in Milwaukee is a bad thing?

Talk about a short term memory.

Locate one place where I suggested that the roof is a bad thing. I am an advocate of an OPEN roof.

There is all the inference in the world that the roof is for rain, not cold. it's still rust-belt baseball, afterall. wisconsin gone soft. blankets and hot cocoa people.

if i have to add "enjoyment of 75 degree september and -godwilling- october baseball" to my pre-requisite checklist of brewers fandom ON TOP of ribbon boards, sandy maxx and plastic slides, the Benz brauhaus, elevators and godawful cover bands, TGI friday's, the kiss cam, and fifty more annoyances that pollute a pure experience, I'll stick to watching the Crew 8 times a year at Wrigley. even though i sound like andy rooney, i'm 27 and i helped construct miller park.

they managed not to get the bunting up for the all-star game, so i bet they can figure out a way to take the fall out of the Fall Classic.

And I'll have you know that i deleted the first 50 words i wrote about your well informed and intricately thought-out reply, because they probably broke 7 of the 10 commandments on here.

After going to the Packers-Seahawks pre-season game at Lambeau last month and sitting through constant sprinkling (and we were dressed appropriately and had ponchos), I appreciate Miller Park even more. Yeah, it wasn't raining Saturday, but it was still nice to have it closed and a bit warmer than it was outside.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I emailed the Brewers in 2004 after sitting through an open-roof game which at the time seemed chilly. The response I got stated that they use 60 degrees as a guide for temperature. On the night in question, the temperature stayed in the mid-60s (this was mid-June) and they kept the roof open. The temperature on Saturday may have reached the low 60s around tailgating time, but I doubt it got much higher, and was due to get a good bit lower over the course of the evening.

I'm not averse to wearing layers to a game (we did it a zillion times prior to 2001), but I appreciated knowing the Brewers' "rule of thumb." Now we at least have an idea of whether to bring layers when we travel from Madison.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm a wimp. I like it closed when it's below 60-65.

Although I do understand what you are saying about the whole fall playoff/penant race atmosphere and the cool Sept/Oct nights.

you do realize the general temperature with it closed is around 60 degrees http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

I believe that people who enjoy games in cold weather are in a small minority. I remember back to the County Stadium days of 8,000 in attendance in April and September while now we can get at least get 20,000+ during the week and weekends during the cold weather months.

Bottom line, if you prefer cold weather you still won't stay away from Miller Park if it the roof is closed but if you do hate sitting through a cold weather game, you won't bother showing up. That means fewer dollars and a payroll that is not anywhere near approaching $75 million. I believe that the Twins will be on the other side of this discussion in a few short years.

you do realize the general temperature with it closed is around 60 degrees

I inferred that Patrick425 implied that. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived