Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Corporan?

He's off to a great start repeating at Brevard (16 for 40).

What intrigues me about Corporan is the year to year improvement he's shown in making contact. At Beloit in 04 he fanned once every 3.03 AB. Staying at the same level in 05 at West Virginia, he improved to once every 3.53 times.

Then last year at Brevard, he made great strides fanning just once every 6.06 times and this season so far he's fanned only 6 times in 40 AB's while giving indications that he's developing some power with 6 extra base hits so far.

For those that have seen him, is he capable of working his way into a prospect status? He's still only 23.

EDIT: removed excessive punctuation from subject line -- Brian the Automator

Carlos with a game winning 2 out 2 rbi pinch hit double in the top of the 9th for the Manatees. 3-1 over the Cardinals.

This is the second time that Carlos has come on in the 9th for a pinch hit which has resulted in either a game winner or game tying rbi.

• 2 weeks later...

No disrespect pogokat, but "organizational soldier" Corporan's hot streak has extended to 80 ABs and he's now up in AA where he belongs.

Just to put his performance in perspective:

Corporan, born 1/7/84. 2007 OPS to date: .975, 9 K's in 80 AB's.

Gillespie (Number 5 on Power 50), born 6/20/84. 2007 OPS to date: .686., 23 K's in 77 AB's.

He's 23 and doing well in high A. Prince is 22 now.

I have no idea about a thing, but unless he hits .300+ in AA, I'd agree he's filler until he proves otherwise. He is a catcher though, all they gotta do is not suck a lot and they'll get every opportunity.

"This is his 5th year in the minors...and Gillespie's 1st full season."

So?

He is still just 6 months older than Gillespie, who instead of kicking around the low minors like Corporan, was playing college ball in one of the premier conferences in the country and summer ball with the top college players.

My point is that some guys are late bloomers though 23 is hardly too late and it doesn't really matter what they did at age 20. Being drafted in the 12th round at age 18 means scouts saw some raw ability there.

Besides if you look at his numbers, there are signs of improvement over the last couple years not just this one.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At this point, he definitely hasn't proven to be a prospect. The only thing we know is Corporan's numbers were pretty pedestrian until his fourth season, with all but 9 ABs of it in A+. That's not to take away what he did last year, as it is great to see him perform. However, it is also only 280 of 980 professional ABs.

Right now Corporan is performing well. But it is only 80ABs, and he is repeating high A at age 24. We have all seen guys get off to hot starts (Krynzel) or guys fail to make an adjustment as he moves up the ladder.

Until Carlos repeats for a full season in AA or AAA his 2006 season, I agree with Pogo that he will probably be that organizational solider every organization needs. I think that is what he needs to do to prove that he's more than that, and until he does that, I believe it's fair to be skeptical.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

• 2 weeks later...
Corporan is off to a great start at AA. As Briggs pointed out, he's making better contact, and that might be whats bringing out his power. He's a big, muscular guy who should have pretty good power potential. He is certainly someone to keep an eye on. He's 23 at AA, which is pretty good for a catcher, as they seem to take longer to develop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived