Brewer Fanatic

Corey Patterson

TheBrewer

What do you guys think of signing Corey Patterson to a 1yr deal with maybe a Team Option for a second year or something. What I found interesting is that he's only 28 years old, which would be just entering his prime now. Another thing that I found interesting is this:

2004 -631AB -168K

2005 -451AB -118K

2006 -463AB -94K

2007 -461AB -65K

Obviously he's had less AB's each season compared to 2004, but the past 3 years he's had around the same AB's, and his K's have gone way down. From 118 in 05' to now 07' 65.

His BA and OBP isn't the world but, he could improve and ya never know he could breakout, I know that sounds like a joke, but he's only 28 years old..... He could be a bet to hit .270 maybe better, with a .315OBP to go along with 15HR's and 40+ SB... if he were to breakout become the player that everyone thought he would, maybe be a .310BA-25HR-50SB.. obviously thats a pipe dream, but when his K's have gone down so much that leads me to believe that he's on the right path...

Only 3 errors in the OF.

Obviously stickin it to the Cubs would be nice, but he could turnout to be a nice surprize. Now Billy Hall is in CF obviously which would be a problem. I like Hall, but at the same time I don't know how he can think he's got a starting gig next season unless he wins it in Spring Training. If not Patterson and Hall splitting time, Patterson a late inning replacement, or a nice PH off the bench that could steal a base, provide occasional pop, or if were lucky he really takes off next season.... and no offense to Hall at all, but who would you rather have this season based on there stats, Hall looking lost hitting .255 with 13HR 4SB or Patterson hittin .270 with 8HR and 37SB

What does everyone think?

no no no no no. I don't see what Patterson is going to give us that Gwynn/Gross can't. plus Patterson isn't going to sign a one-year deal with anybody. some idiot team is going to give him $7 million a year for four years then watch him revert to his Cubs production.

I really truthfully don't understand all the negativity with Patterson. First, he did not have the single most worst season ever. Secondly, he's turned into a contact hitter, who doesn't strikeout much, who provides occasional pop with alot of speed. Now if you don't like his stats of what he's done the past 2 seasons, (average of about 470AB .275BA/10HR/40SB/65K) and you don't think he's a breakout guy waiting to happen since he's only 28, if Melvin could get him cheap, not sure why anyone wouldn't take him as role player, or a bench player. Late inning PR or PH, give guys days off and rest..

Secondly, I'm thinking to next season, Jenks id assume would be gone... so Patterson in my opinion could be a different kind of an upgrade over Hall considering what hes done this season, if you havn't given up on Hall, shift Hall to LF, Patterson in CF and Hart in RF.. and no offense to Gross, I think someone should have given him a chance to log consistant AB's and have about 400-500AB to really get a feel for him, but obviously the Brewers don't think he's that type of player and neither do other clubs, I say other clubs because if they thought he was something special they would've tried to acquire him already.... and if you wana keep Mench next season and pay him what you'd most likely patterson go ahead I guess...

Yea he may want a 2yr-3yr type contract with X millions going to him, but then again, I really don't see alot of teams jumping on his services, when in reality, he's had a decent couple of seasons

First, he did not have the single most worst season ever.

In 2005, he just may have - .215/.254/.348

Absolutely abysmal.

Guys who can only carry a .300 OBP are bad hitters, pure and simple. The power he had when he had his good season way back when appears to have vanished, as well. He would be a decent 5th OF who can run and play some decent CF, but I wouldn't want him with a bat in his hand. He makes Gwynn look like an appealing option.

Archived