Brewer Fanatic

Fielder amongst some esteemed company

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

There are only 9 other players in the history of baseball that have hit 45 or more home runs by or before age 23. They are all Hall of Famers, future Hall of Famers, or cheaters http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mark McGwire, Troy Glaus, Reggie Jackson, Eddie Matthews, Juan Gonzalez, Orlando Cepeda, Joe DiMaggio, Ken Griffey, Johnny Bench.

Had Braun played the entire season, he could presumably be knocking on that door as well.

(as an interesting aside, Tony Canigliaro hit 24 home runs as a 19 year old - most ever by a teenager)

(added tags --1992)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yes, 45 home runs in a season by someone age 23 or younger.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

sorry, didn't mean to sound all smart-mouthy.

Anyways, it is quite an accomplishment. Amazing that the kid is only 23-years old. I hope when the season is over, there will be more raves about Prince in the same way Ryan Howard, aged 26 last season (I believe), did last off-season.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Based on homer's list, here are the times players have hit 40 homers at age 23 or earlier:

Player Age Year Homers
Joe DiMaggio 1937 22 46
Eddie Mathews 1953 21 47
1954 22 40
1955 23 41
Orlando Cepeda 1961 23 46
Reggie Jackson 1969 23 47
Johnny Bench 1970 22 45
Mark McGwire 1987 23 49
Juan Gonzalez 1992 22 43
1993 23 46
Ken Griffey Jr. 1993 23 45
Troy Glaus 2000 23 47
Prince Fielder 2007 23 45

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

still can't believe that people thought prince was too fat...or that braun wouldn't be a power hitter

I love how in Moneyball it implies that taking Prince was another bad move by the Brewers, when really it was a decision that fit right in with the theme of the book. Prince was a potentially good-great player that was being undervalued because he didn't "look" like a baseball player should.

Another tidbit... Prince and his dad are the first father-son pair to each have a 40-homer season in the major leagues. Obviously, if Prince can hit 50, they'll be the first father-son pair to reach that mark, too.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Another tidbit... Prince and his dad are the first father-son pair to each have a 40-homer season in the major leagues. Obviously, if Prince can hit 50, they'll be the first father-son pair to reach that mark, too.

Another tidbit of a tidbit...the Bonds father/son combo was 1 HR shy of being in that club, too -- Bobby Bonds' career high was 39.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Another tidbit of a tidbit...the Bonds father/son combo was 1 HR shy of being in that club, too -- Bobby Bonds' career high was 39.

That means they were only 31 short of being the first father/son combo to each hit 70 in a season. Get Bobby on the roids!

Also worth mentioning, this is the list of the top SLG % age 23 seasons in MLB history:

Slugging %

Rank Player SLG Year
1. Willie Mays 0.667 1954
Albert Pujols 0.667 2003
3. Rudy York 0.651 1937
4. Ted Williams 0.648 1942
5. Hal Trosky 0.644 1936
6. Juan Gonzalez 0.632 1993
7. Mark McGwire 0.618 1987
8. Kal Daniels 0.617 1987
Ken Griffey 0.617 1993
10. Mickey Mantle 0.611 1955

If the season ended today, this would need updating. Braun is at .632 and Fielder is at .619. Off the top of my head, I have a tough time thinking of ANY two teammates who were this good THIS YOUNG (as hitters anyway). Griffey and A-Rod? Griffey was 26 by the time Rodriguez had a great season. Mathews and Aaron are the only other case I can think of. In 1955, a 21 year old Aaron went .314/.366/.540 while a 23 year old Mathews was posting his third straight 170 OPS+ season.

I'm trying to keep this stuff in my mind as much as possible in case tonight's game continues to go south. Let's just hope Braun and Fielder are better between ages 24-28 than Kal Daniels was.

(I don't know about you, but I'd completely forgotten about that guy.)

Bumping after today's ridiculous dinger.

Archived