Brewer Fanatic

Greg Oden out for the year

patrickgpe

At the expense of being "that guy", here in Portland it's like a period of mourning. I can't even begin to describe how hyped-up this whole town was over this guy. His arrival was like a returning war hero, and now this. Though I could honestly care less about the Blazers, and even though Greg was a Big Ten rival, I don't wish this kind of thing on any town or any player. Just yesterday the Oregonian had a very optimistic piece on how he was out for "at least six weeks." I'm talking a top-of-the front page tease, complete with a diagram of the inside of a knee, highlighting the areas of concern. This is just sad.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

See what happens when 50 year olds try to play against NBA players?
You beat me to it...priceless. Anyone else seeing some happiness in the fact that the Bucks didn't get the 1st pick now?
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Granted, things may have changed....but how good does the decision to declare himself eligible for the draft look right about now?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The dude was the first overall pick in the draft...it doesn't get any better than that. And he'll get paid to rehab, so the decision was a very good one wasn't it? But again, I could be reading your comment wrong.

Granted, things may have changed....but how good does the decision to declare himself eligible for the draft look right about now?
I think BJ was saying "Wow, Oden sure is lucky he declared when he did". That is what I was thinking at least...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Bill Simmons, who does basketball columns better than any of the other sports he 'covers', did a column on the comparison between Kevin Durant and Greg Oden. He said some interesting things about the differences between the two and Simmons himself said the Blazers were asking for this and that Durant will likely be better ball player than Oden will be (prior to Oden's out for the season deal).

Simmons even said that Blazer fans should be forewarned before reading his column.

Oh, and burnie... Simmons agrees with you on Sam Bowie 2.0. I am not even sure Simmons is actually telling the truth about his past analysis of the two because I remember when he continually drooled over Oden when his Celtics were projected to be the first pick.

I'm indifferent about the Trail Blazers, and am naturally against most anything and everything OSU-related. However, I really am really rooting for Oden to make a full recovery. He's come off as very likable in every interview that I've seen him in, and it seems that most writers agree.

Yea, Oden actually repeatedly, profusely apologized to Kevin Pritchard (GM). Who does that? He seems like a class act - which, judging from their website, is about as important as talent. A wise move (& a good thing to see) for a franchise that has severe image problems.

A wise move (& a good thing to see) for a franchise that has severe image problems.

Yeah they basically got rid of Zach Randolph during the draft for nothing because of the attitude. Of course they had to take on another attitude in Steve Francis but then released him.

Still I don't think they'll make the playoffs this year so they'll likely be in the lottery again to add to their solid, young nucleus. If Oden makes a full recovery and they end up in the lottery again that team could be scary in a few years. Darren Collison/Brandon Roy/Martell Webster/LaMarcus Aldridge/Greg Oden. Nasty.

See what happens when 50 year olds try to play against NBA players?

I was thinking the same thing along with the fact I was glad he no longer played for OU. Still I feel bad he is hurt. Hopefully it isn't a chronic thing.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Hmm, he's had two major injuries in two years. I don't know the details of the wrist injury last year, but this one definitely doesn't seem like a freak accident like Ken Griffey Jr and Geoff Jenkins always had. Its too early to call him the Mark Prior of basketball, but he's getting there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How'd you like to be a Blazer fan that bought season tix to watch Oden? Good luck getting a refund.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

wow, no kidding homer. I know their season ticket sales were up big-time this year, too. This might actually work out well for them (TBs), considering how bad this is today, in the long run - I'd be willing to bet that many of those fans will re-up for next year. If the injury had come during the season/towards the end, I don't think that would be the case. There's been a love-in of 'get well' wishes here so far.

Archived