Brewer Fanatic

Terry Ryan out as GM

patrickgpe
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Trust me guys, this is a retirement, even though he's staying on as an advisor. He wasn't fired. I was told last season that Ryan would retire soon, so today's announcement doesn't surprise me one bit. "

You're in J-Town right NDogg? If so, I believe your source. That's Ryan's hometown.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan told me at TwinsFest that he and his wife were living in Dousman at the time I happened to be in HS because he was heavily involved with scouting my Algebra 2 classmate, J.T. Bruett, while he was at Oconomowoc. Bruett went on to star at the University of MN and made it up to the Twins on a few occasions before his hamstring got the best of him. That, and for some dumb reason Tom Kelly liked Rich Becker more.

I'd love to see him end up working with the Brewers in some capacity. And if he ever left the Cities, I could see him heading one state to the east. However, he's a very loyal guy and, if I had to guess, not about to bail on his successor (Bill Smith) or Mr. Pohlad.

somebody asked what Ryan has done. he has 4 divison titles in 10 years as a gm. What GM other than the braves or yankees GM can make that claim? he was a tremendous scout before taking over as GM. I played church league Basketball with him as a youth. he's a pretty smart guy. if he says he's retiring, he's retiring.

although, I think the timing is very similar to Alford leaving Iowa. Alford looked at his recruits and saw that Iowa basketball was going to be hard pressed to win in the next three years,. So rather than stick around, and look like a loser, he moved on to new mexico. I think Terry saw the same thing. he's had a lot of things on the table. I think he wants and needs a break. I suspect he'll resurface in a couple of years - possibly as a GM of a corporate company: possibly 3M.

Archived