Brewer Fanatic

Terry Ryan out as GM

patrickgpe

What has Ryan ever really done, I've never understood why people were so high on him in the first place.

The twins have a well run minor league system and are well coached. Ryan hasn't done squat to put them in position to win in the last few years other than sign aging vets who weren't worth it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's NOT BEING FIRED, he's resigning.

A press release saying he is resigning isn't saying much. I know MANY people who have "resigned" instead of being fired as a way to save face. If you want to believe that him stepping down as GM was entirely his choice - that is fine. But I think you are making a mistake in taking the "resigning" to always mean just that.

I just find the timing odd. There was just a few articles this past week about how the Twins fortunes have changed and they are about to lose all of their Free Agents. The articles pointed to the incredibly low offers that Ryan has proposed.

At least two key players of the Twins have called him out in the past year (Santana & Hunter) - and now he is gone. Coincidence?

I'm glad he's not leaving to get out of Dodge, as I really don't want to see him in charge of any other team that we have to face more than usual. Sure, a rebuilding process takes a while, but that's exactly what Ryan did with the Twins.

Asking what Ryan did for the Twins is like asking what has Beane done for the A's. Sure, he's made some bad moves over the last year, but every GM makes bad moves. Ryan oversaw the organization when they procured an incredible amount of talent, made some incredibly shrewd deals, and has kept that team competitive since 2000 on an extremely limited budget playing in one of the saddest stadiums in all of professional sports.

Melvin isn't responsible for most of our young core. IIRC, Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, and Hart all predate Melvin, not to mention Sheets, Jenkins, and Hall. I know there are more I'm likely forgetting, but to say that Melvin "has built what we have now" is untrue. I think the youngins while he's been on watch are Braun, Villy, & YoGa. Not dismissing those, but that's not exactly the entire core.
CoCo, Lee, Villy, Cappy, Overbay, Turnbow, Wise, Shouse, Miller, Estrada, Bush, Vargas, Davis ect all were part of the Brewers that he did bring in. His drafts have been productive especially in the pitching department. That productivity along with his ability to make good trades and find leftover nuggets while continuing to build a better team each year he's been here that makes him so good.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

When you seemingly are fine with Nick Punto manning a corner position, when you could upgrade cheaply and easily, you probably should hang it up. He knows pitchers, that's for sure, but his inability to acquire even decent offensive talent the past couple years really held that team back.

I have to agree with Ndogg, it looks to me like he had enough and is moving on. I suppose he might return after a few years off, but I think he's stepping down.

I'm sure Aaron Gleeman would tell you he never trusted the youngsters, and rarely would just go find a hitter or two (Nick Punto's 3B production this year would rival Chris Barnwell's) that were weak as fielders, but his record tells you he did not miss that often.

Melvin really isn't ultra-involved in drafting players, that's much more Jack Z.'s thing. I'm sure he participates some in the process, with early round picks, but he's not out bird dogging some kid in Texas that they'll draft in the 30th round. GM's in baseball are more about the major league operations, not those of the entire organization like in the NFL or NBA. The breadth of the organization is too big to oversee the entire thing, that's why Reid Nichols and Jack Z. are very important parts of the success the team is enjoying now and will continue to.

Not saying that I know anymore than anyone, yet. But, TR is from Janesville. When he is in town he comes in my bar once in a while. I know the whole family. Three of his nephews are very good friends of mine.

I know TR's "cottage" up by the Dells has been gutted and remodeled in the last year. The guy that built my bar and tables at my bar rebuilt his cottage. So I may be able to get an inside scoop. I think a year or two off may be what Terry is looking for.

Personally, I'd love him to come to Milwaukee.

For those of you who act like Melvin has done nothing, or that you would replace him with Ryan in a beat as someone said, you seriously need help.

Im trying to word this right... for me saying that about Melvin, hearing that, its more for me about the Respect you guys should have for Melvin. You act like Melvin is just like scraps, thats how you guys are acting, like he hasn't done anything in Milwaukee for the Brewers.

No one said that. Please don't be offended if others think the organization can upgrade at any position - people are entitled to their opinion, and no one is treating DM like trash. I, for one, want him to stick around as long as possible, but am not offended that others think Ryan is/would be better.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't want him anywhere near the NL Central, but I'd much rather have him land in Pittsburgh than Chicago. If the Cubs wind up with ownership that is willing to consistently spend, and they match that with an outstanding talent evaluator, that's a lot worse than Ryan in Pittsburgh.
That's what everyone thought about Andy McFail too when he was the hotshot small market guru who went to the Cubs and finally got to operate with a big wallet.

Put me in the NDogg camp. Ryan is a scout, and has always professed his love of scouting and he never was big on the administrative part of being a GM. Hopefully after a few years of scouting again he'll be re-energized and ready to GM again. As baseball is a lesser sport without Ryan heading up some club.

Well, I tried to explain a couple of different times in this thread, but people still act as if he was fired and speculate on what job he's going to take next...when there isn't going to be one, at least not as of right now. He didn't resign as GM of the Twins to catch on with another organization. People retire at age 53 all the time, I don't see why that's so hard to accept.

right, but it wouldn't necessarily be next year. I understand he wants to get away from the game or retire, but don't treat me like a dummy for merely speculating/wondering/wishing. Who says Jack Z would necessarily be gone after this year? It could be 2, 3, etc., years down the line.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree with NDOG too. I think it's entirely possible he's done with GMing. He loves the Twin Cities and his new role with the team will allow him to scout as much or as little as he wants. This will allow him to do what he loves as much as he wants while still being free to be with his family and enjoy life. Right now I don't think he can envision himself working for another team. He's given everything to the Twins. That team is a huge part of his life. Maybe in a few years he would be willing to GM another team but I have doubts about that.

Archived