Brewer Fanatic

Terry Ryan out as GM

patrickgpe

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that is very, very surprising. That could have an effect on the entire front office, which has done an amazing job sticking together for such an incredibly long time.

I agree with SoCal's assessment of the situation in Pittsburgh. Ryan (a UW grab to boot) is one guy I would love to see heading the Brewers, as much as I have enjoyed the job Doug Melvin has done, as I would actually be worried about the Pirates if he took over that team.

Wow, this is a very very sad day.... Maybe the toll of not being able to "add" pieces for the stretch run really upset him (directive from the owner maybe).... if T Hunter, J Santana, and Justin M leave in the next year or two.... the Twins could be set back.... though their starting pitching should improve with Baker & Bonser being a year older and Liriano back in the fold.

I would think that the Twins (who still have alot of good young players), heading into a new stadium, would be an ideal place for a GM to be.

Maybe the Brewers & Twins could swap GMs http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif .... Terry Ryan would no doubt win a few pennants with the current core in Milwaukee

It should be noted that Ryan's experience in Minnesota would likely make him very skeptical of the Pittsburgh situation. If he wanted an ownership team that would tie his hands and make a half-baked committment to competing, why wouldn't he just stay in Minny where he at least has some assets in the system? Pittsburgh has some talent here and there, but nothing like the Twins, and I don't have any confidence that the owners there really want to build a winning team.

Maybe the toll of not being able to "add" pieces for the stretch run really upset him (directive from the owner maybe).... if T Hunter, J Santana, and Justin M leave in the next year or two....
Just my guess, but it seems to me like he is being scapegoated. Hunter and Santana, in particular have been very angry with the way he has handled their contract situation. Both of them seem likely to leave the organization after he offered contracts at about half the value that these players will get on the open market. Hunter and Santana felt very insulted by the lowball offers.

So, the management decided to get rid of Ryan to appease these players. Perhaps they will be more willing to negotiate with a new GM.

I think the choice was stick with Ryan or try to keep Santana, Hunter and Justin M. They chose to go after the players they already have.

If I'm the Pirates' new president, I'm on my cell phone with Ryan, riding in an airport shuttle, catching a flight to wherever Ryan is now. I have a contract in hand, a cash signing bonus in the form of a stack of crisp Ben Franklins, and an extra pen just in case.

Ditto. Unless, as speculated, it's more of a retirement (even if forced) and he's not looking for something else.

I don't want him anywhere near the NL Central, but I'd much rather have him land in Pittsburgh than Chicago. If the Cubs wind up with ownership that is willing to consistently spend, and they match that with an outstanding talent evaluator, that's a lot worse than Ryan in Pittsburgh.

While I certainly agree that if Ryan took over for the Pirates (if - we obviously don't know the specifics), on the whole isn't having another viable candidate - thus decreasing the odds that Jack Z would end up head man in Pitt. - a good thing for the Crew? I don't know how much legitimate attention Zduriencik has or hasn't attracted, but for those in the game, he seems a logical candidate for nearly any GM vacancy at this point.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

From the Kevin Goldstein chat . . . .

Jim (Providence): The Pirates fired Littlefield, does it even matter?

Kevin Goldstein: It does, very much. Of the two jobs out there (PIT and HOU) and others expected (BAL, maybe), Pittsburgh is the one everyone wants.

Really? (Like Seriously?): Pittsburgh is the job everyone wants? Elaborate, please!

Kevin Goldstein: Hands off ownership, easy division, arguably the best ballpark in baseball, and a hungry fan base. You put a winner there, and you're a hero.

Logan White would be the one I'm afraid of in Pittsburgh, I don't think Ryan is really going anywhere, just getting a title change.

Houston has so much of a hole to dig itself out of, Sandy Alderson couldn't help them out.

The recent pick ups of Tony Batista, Sidney Ponson and Ramon Ortiz were curious at best but that doesn't begin to erase all the great moves he's made throughout his career. Very odd move.

Not to mention Shannon Stewart and Rondell White. He's criticized for not letting the young guys play, and rightly so. Finding someone better might be difficult given all the bad GMs and GM candidates, but it's certainly not something that will completely bring the organization to a halt.

I'm not sure why any of you are worried about the Pirates. They have possibly the worst system in the league, with absolutely no hope of it getting better anytime soon. Just about everything about the entire organization needs to be radically changed, and that takes several years, at least.

Also, I think one of the problems with the Pitt situation is from the owners and not so much the GM. It was the combination of adding in incompetent GM that led to years and years of losing. RE: Brewers in the 90's. Although we got a new GM, which helped, it was the addition of a new owner that helped make this franchise start to change.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

"So, the management decided to get rid of Ryan to appease these players. Perhaps they will be more willing to negotiate with a new GM.

I think the choice was stick with Ryan or try to keep Santana, Hunter and Justin M. They chose to go after the players they already have. "

He's NOT BEING FIRED, he's resigning.

And for those of you who wana replace Melvin with Ryan, seriously? Melvin has built what we have now. Id assume your just joking but seriously.. get some respect for Melvin

Melvin isn't responsible for most of our young core. IIRC, Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, and Hart all predate Melvin, not to mention Sheets, Jenkins, and Hall. I know there are more I'm likely forgetting, but to say that Melvin "has built what we have now" is untrue. I think the youngins while he's been on watch are Braun, Villy, & YoGa. Not dismissing those, but that's not exactly the entire core.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived