Brewer Fanatic

Any Updates on Jones or Rogers?

BucEbadger

I know Sarfate has spoken to Jones since the injury and said that Jonesy (I guess that's what the players call him) has been in good spirits since the injury (I guess that's the norm for him is that he has a positive attitude). That's all I've heard regarding Jones.

• 2 weeks later...

CLUBHOUSE CONFIDENTIAL

Assistant general manager Gord Ash reported that right-hander Mark Rogers, the Brewers' first-round draft pick in 2004, has resumed bullpen sessions in instructional camp in Phoenix. Rogers had shoulder surgery in January and missed the entire season.

Reported from JSOnline: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=665895

I'd still love for the Crew to try to retain Jones. He's thrived when healthy. A closer's role could be key for him.

I think about Rogers, if healthy, as someone we could tab to fast track in a reliever/closer role. He had the velocity, and I think it was his lack of secondary pitches that limited his effectiveness. Maybe he could become our future closer?

I would let him start in the minors to maximize his learning. But I don't konw, Jonathan Papelbon and Joe Nathan were starters in the minors (as was Franciso Cordero) and they all are great closers, and that is not a position that should be taken for granted as this season's bullpen meltdown has taught us.

I think I agree with you, I'd love to see him as a potential ace starter, but I was just looking around our minors for what we had as far as future closers.

If they can both somehow come back healthy next season it would be a huge shot in the arm to our farm system. I wouldn't mind seeing both of them in the bullpen. Assuming it works out, that could be a nice 1-2 punch in the back end of the bullpen

At one point, Rogers was putting up "Yo"-type K numbers (his 5 game run before the injury) that made true Brew Bleeders to salivate at the thought of those two arms for the next 10 years. Now while those numbers were mixed with poor BB totals, he still has the fastball/slider combo to dominate, if he can ever harness and hit (his spots).

At one point, Rogers was putting up "Yo"-type K numbers

Unfortunately he was also putting up Nick Neugebauer type BB numbers, which is what concerned me the most. I don't care how hard you throw, eventually you're going to have to throw strikes.

Anyone else remember that 5-6 start period in '06 where Rogers "found it"?

This is why I'll continue to blast the Brewers for wasting high first round picks on these HS blowtorch arms. At least they got it right on Gallardo, and at least they won't have a very high pick to waste in the coming years.

Jonesy and Rogers are doing well. Jonesy started his throwing program on Monday and comments were made he didn't miss a beat, he look like he hasn't had a moment of down time! Rogers is a solid athlete, working hard to regain his form. Another year and here we are hoping for great new season. Can't imagine what the the guys must be going thru!

Archived