Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew

Anyone else try any of the Goose Island brews? I've tried the Honker's Ale, IPA, and 312 Urban Wheat. All of them were pretty tasty. Also recently tried Leinie's Big Butt Doppelbock. Good stuff.

I thought it would be a good idea to throw in a couple pictures of our collection too. My roommates and I have gotten in the habit of trying as many beers as we can and saving one of the bottles for display. We're at 43 different varieties so far, and tomorrow is probably going to be another sampling night, so stay tuned!

http://photos-744.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v196/4/73/219701744/n219701744_32053069_6464.jpghttp://photos-744.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v196/4/73/219701744/n219701744_32053070_6762.jpg

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TooLiveBrew wrote:

EDIT: How can you really compare other beers to a beer made at a brewers that has been in business around 580 years? The only beer I have found that is close to close to HP is The Great Dane Crop Circle Wheat(also found at Madison Mallards games I believe).

Wow. That's very high praise. Since I'm not much of a wheat guy, I had no idea it was that good.

Well I guess that is a little bit of a stretch to call it as good as HP, but it is the best wheat I have found in Wisconsin. It is a cloudy bee though, so it has hidden flaws according to Budweiser.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It is a cloudy beer though, so it has hidden flaws according to Budweiser.

It's so good of Budweiser to divulge their quality standards for beer! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLiveBrew wrote:

It's so good of Budweiser to divulge their quality standards for beer! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

I know, it gives us a good chance to ridicule their opinion.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Don't be afraid to show some love - Brennan's rocks!
Nope, not Brennan's, Festival Foods up in here in the Fox Valley.
Anyone else try any of the Goose Island brews? I've tried the Honker's Ale, IPA, and 312 Urban Wheat.
I tried the Urban Wheat and found it disappointing. All the other flavors came through more than the wheat taste. I've also been saving all my bottles, up around 35 or so. That and logging everything over at BA.com.

I stand corrected - in any event, always good to share another beer hotspot.

I'm getting hooked up with some Seattle brews this weekend - can't wait to try them!

Don't be afraid to show some love - Brennan's rocks!

Anyone else try any of the Goose Island brews? I've tried the Honker's Ale, IPA, and 312 Urban Wheat.
I tried the Urban Wheat and found it disappointing. All the other flavors came through more than the wheat taste. I've also been saving all my bottles, up around 35 or so. That and logging everything over at BA.com.

I'm a big fan of the Goose Island Honkers Ale. Very good.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Alright, so thanks to EDR, I've got a slew of Seattle products (and one Hawai'ian!) to try out this weekend. Letting them get cold for now, but following are the different varieties:

Elysian Brewery - Bifrost Winter Ale & Pandora's Bock

Skagit Brewery - Sculler's IPA

Baron Brewing Co. - Pilsner

Hale's Ales - Red Menace Big Amber

Maritime Pacific Brewing Co. - Flagship Red Ale, Islander Pale Ale & Imperial Pale Ale

Kona Brewing Co. (Kona, Hawai'i) - Fire Rock Pale Ale (note: I've been assured by EDR that their Longboard Island Lager is their best - so good he couldn't get his hands on any!)

I'll try to come back & give my own summaries of each. But in the meantime - I've got some drinkin' to do!

I haven't posted of my beer exploits recently, so I thought I'd jump back on the train with this post. My two most recent brews that have occassioned a broad grin to spread across my face are:

1) Lagunitas Czech Pilsner - More hop flavor than I was expecting, but excellent none-the-less. I guess those California brewers are really in love with their Cascade hops. I can't remember exactly (or fine the post) but I'm pretty sure that someone's comments in this thread influenced me to pick it up.

2) Baltic Thunder (Victory) - A superb example of a porter. It's not as heavy as Anchor's porter, but it strikes a very similar flavor profile. Part of the fun with these is that they're not sold in 12 oz. bottles. You can only find them in 22 oz.

During the Super Bowl a buddy of mine brough over an Otter Creek sample pack which I've been working my way through. I've had their porter and a wit beer. They've been fine brews, but nothing has really jumped out at me so far.

TooLive Brew-I checked the reviews over at beeradvocate, and all those you have a winners, none less than a B-. The Fire Rock actually rated better than the Longboard. The Pandora's Bock (grade A) and the Imperial Pale Ale (grade A-) rated the best. You lucky dog, enjoy!

BTW-This evening tried a bottle of Victory Brewing Co. HopDevil Ale. Waaaaay too bitter and tart for my liking. Just not a hops guy, I guess. My favorite review:

It smells like a decent IPA with malts and lots of hops but then a whiff of, (I don't know what) hits me. I really don't know what to call it, plastic? or soap. Whatever the smell is it is even more prevalent in the taste. A very distinctive yuck aftertaste.

TooLive Brew-I checked the reviews over at beeradvocate, and all those you have a winners, none less than a B-. The Fire Rock actually rated better than the Longboard. The Pandora's Bock (grade A) and the Imperial Pale Ale (grade A-) rated the best. You lucky dog, enjoy!

Wow, thanks for that update. Funny you should point out the Pandora's getting an A, since I'm just finishing my last delicious sips of it now. Strong without being overpowering, just sweet enough, and a true Bock's Bock. Very good - definitely worthy of an A.

Not sure which one to go with next... ok, on to the Maritime Pacific Islander Pale Ale! I'm also heading off to a party tonight, so my next 'review' will be later.

Maritime Pacific Isl. Pale Ale was a classic pale ale, but with the driest finish I've had. Very good, but if you don't like dry/hoppy brews, probably not for you.

Mar. Pac. IPA (as in, Imperial...) is very tasty. In fact, reminds me almost to a 't' of the Great Dane IPA. Very hoppy, but not for an IPA.

more to come...

It's Prison Mike! Great avatar.

Ok, on to the Maritime Pacific Flagship Red Ale - tasty... not very sweet (a good thing imo for a red ale)... not too hoppy. Still has a dry-ish finish, with just enough bite. A true ale, made well as a red ale, since - as mentioned - it's not done 'sweet.'

I'm not generally a huge fan of red beers, but there is one that stands out that I treid a while back. It is called Maudite and made by a Canadian brewery called Unibroue. Just a truly excellent beer. Unfortunately I only had one, because it was part of a mix n' match from Trader Joe's

Thanks for the tip, bobbo. There's a Trader Joe's not too far from my place.

Sculler's IPA - more citrus-y IPA, very good flavor. On a par with the Maritime Pacific Imperial Pale Ale, for sure.

Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale - probably my favorite of the bunch. Closer to an IPA than a classic pale ale, it has some citrusy flavor & more hops flavor than you might expect. Not nearly as bitter as an IPA - extremely tasty with the dryness of a good pale ale.

Archived