Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew

okay, so I'm up here for a funeral tomorrow and Saturday and some cousins and I went out for a few to "reflect" on our grandfather, and I decided to try some of the New Glarus beers since I'm in the state. Never tried them before. Now, I think they're great! I especially liked the "Fat Squirrel" flavor with a double bonus that the label made my wife laugh.

Too bad I can't get that in Arizona.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found the answer to my previous question. I e-mailed New Glarus, and they said they are not brewing Yokel this year...

In response to your question, we are not making Yokel this year. It has not been discontinued; it's just not on the schedule this year. We change our beer schedule each year and rotate beers. Check back at the end of this year to see if it is going to be brewed in 2009.

The reason I was wondering is because not even Woodman's has it, and they pretty much have everything you can get in Wisconsin. So, it looks as if whatever Yokel is left in stores/bars has been purchased long ago.

I have never had the New Glarus Yokel, what does it taste like?
"I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!" Obscure quote there, sorry. It's quite tasty, probably my third favorite New Glarus (Cow and Copper Kettle Weiss). I could tell you what I thought it tastes like, but that really wouldn't do you any good. I've spent the better part of the last few months buying "Build-Your-Own-6-Packs" from a grocer up here, trying everything and anything (at least not the usual suspects like Miller, Bud, etc). Some years back, I found a pretty nifty website: beeradvocate.com, and I've been logging everything I try. But to get to my point, everything tastes different to everyone. I kinda thought of Yokel as something of a wheat beer, probably because it's unfiltered and taste's kinda "thick".

Oh, and wisconsinfan47, I wouldn't drink it. To quote the brothers over at BA:

Despite popular belief, beer does have a shelf life. In time, even if the brew has been pasteurized and triple cold-filtered, there will come a day when the beer will kick its heels up and go sour. There is nothing worse than tasting a bad brew. It will ruin your drinking session when that mouthful of bacteria hits your taste buds and then the floor when you spit it out. You will never forget the invisible ninja organisms that assassinated your beer months ago.
Oh, and also, my top 5 favorite "oddities" that I've found are:

1. Flying Dog Breweries In-Heat Wheat

2. Lefthand Brewing Co. Haystack Wheat

3.Erdinger Weissbrau Oktoberfest Weizen

4.Konig Ludwig Weissbier Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen

5.Ommengang Brewery Rare Vos Belgian Amber

"I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!" Obscure quote there, sorry.

Dude, nice Beerfest quote! I love that movie. It does sound tasty, sometime I will have to try Yokel even if I have to wait till next year.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I am not a huge fan of Berghoff, but I've only had their Original Lager and Dark...I've been meaning to try their pale ale.

The Yokel I picked up ended up fine...we lucked out. I am little surprised New Glarus doesn't widely distribute this every year like they do 'Cow. It's certainly very drinkable and could have a real mass appeal.

Speaking of NG, I had my first IPA last night with their Hop Hearty Ale. Good, good, stuff.

Sooo... you like Weissbiers? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Try Paulaner's Weiss - very good, and you should be able to find it (in bottles) easily. Be sure to pour wheat beer into a glass, though - but from your love of them, I'd bet you knew that already.

Franziskaner is another great Weiss - Essen Haus in Madison has both it & Paulaner on tap... not sure about where to get it in Mil., but given the heritage & tradition, I'm sure they can be found.

-- German beers on tap = the way beer is meant to be. --

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

fstorm1 wrote:

I think you would probably like the beers by Hacker-Pshorr. I am partial to their Weiss.

http://www.thedifferenceisinside.com/

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Whoops - Hacker-Pschorr (not Paulaner) is the one I meant you could probably find at least in bottles. Sorry! Nice point, logan.
Should be able to find Paulaner also. I remember having it and I liked it, but I don't remember what it was like at all. It has been quite a while.

I blame Wang.

This is a very, very bizarre request, but does anyone live anywhere near Algoma or Kewaunee? Long story short, my girlfriend's sister slipped up about a year ago and was talking about "sharks that come on shore". Me being me, of course had to tease her about the "landsharks" ever since. I was just goofing around and actually came across a beer called "Landshark Lager". Which of course, I must have. Problem is, the closes locations to buy it are Algoma and Kewanuee (and I live in Waukesha). Anyone live around there that could somehow get some for me? Check it out for yourself...

www.landsharklager.com

I'm sure it's terrible, but it would just be classic to have.

Ah, yes, Hacker-Pschorr is my #1 favorite Weiss. Has been for many moons. Anytime I head to that specific grocer and build my own six pack, I always grab as many "wheats" as I can find. And I've found many good ones, including Capital's Island Wheat, New Glarus' Copper Kettle Wheat, and the one's I listed above. But none are even close to H.P.

I have noticed an alarming trend lately...these fine brew makers are screwing around with my favorite style and adding all kinds of stuff to it. In the last few weeks I've had a wheat with a "hint of lime and lime peel" (Rising Moon from Blue Moon Brew. Co.-okay, not as overpowering with the lime as Miller's Chill, but not a strong enough wheat flavor), cranberry and maple syrup (Sam Adams' Cranberry Lambic-I love cranberries, I love maple syrup, I DO NOT love them in my beer...wretched), and pomegranate (Fort Collins Breweries Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat-tasted like I'd been sucking down grapefruit juice, unbelievably tart).

I like a slice of lemon in my wheat's, but you really don't have to doctor it up to make it taste better. A good wheat is good just by itself.

Ah, yes, Hacker-Pschorr is my #1 favorite Weiss. Has been for many moons. Anytime I head to that specific grocer and build my own six pack...

Don't be afraid to show some love - Brennan's rocks! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I like a slice of lemon in my wheat's, but you really don't have to doctor it up to make it taste better. A good wheat is good just by itself.

Yes, good beer doesn't need to be flavored. Especially not with fruit. Sure, there are exceptions, but any time I come across a beer with fruit at play in it at all, my instinct is to throw it as far as I can. Preferrably in the direction of a cluster of Cubs fans.

Ah, yes, Hacker-Pschorr is my #1 favorite Weiss. Has been for many moons. Anytime I head to that specific grocer and build my own six pack, I always grab as many "wheats" as I can find. And I've found many good ones, including Capital's Island Wheat, New Glarus' Copper Kettle Wheat, and the one's I listed above. But none are even close to H.P.
How can you really compare other beers to a beer made at a brewers that has been in business around 580 years? The only beer I have found that is close to close to HP is The Great Dane Crop Circle Wheat(also found at Madison Mallards games I believe).

I blame Wang.

Hey TLB,

Cough....cough.

My fridge is full.

When that incredible, death-defying jewel heist goes off tonight, you realize we're the first place the man is lookin'.

EDIT: How can you really compare other beers to a beer made at a brewers that has been in business around 580 years? The only beer I have found that is close to close to HP is The Great Dane Crop Circle Wheat(also found at Madison Mallards games I believe).

Wow. That's very high praise. Since I'm not much of a wheat guy, I had no idea it was that good.

Archived