Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew

"Think back to the best beer you've ever had. Now, get ready to top it. Fresh Budweiser..."

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/indifferent.gif

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/sick.gif

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/mad.gif

Budweiser is crap.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Budweiser is crap.

Correctumundo. Anyone trying any of the fall beers now? I'm actually a big fan of the City Festbier in La Crosse and I have a bit of a fondness for the pumpkin ales that come out this time of year. Buffalo Bill's out of Hayward, CA and Shipyard Pumpkin in the Northeast are two of the finer ones I've sampled. Some taste like tomato juice though, so buyer beware!

Anyone trying any of the fall beers now...Buffalo Bill's out of Hayward, CA and Shipyard Pumpkin in the Northeast are two of the finer ones I've sampled. Some taste like tomato juice though, so buyer beware!

This afternoon I had the pleasure of samplingh Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale with lunch and found it delicious. Actually, it was the first beer of the sort I've tried. Great balance of flavor.

That should be their new marketing slogan - honestly. No one's buying PBR for its 'complex hop structure'

Hey, they don't just give out those blue ribbons.http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

I love PBR. Hell, I love cheap beer.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I tried Molson Ice at a gathering some time back and now it's the beer i buy most.It has some of that same European type of imported flavor,but to a little lesser degree and it's not quite as heavy.I really don't like any of the big brand American beers at all.When i'm at certain events and all that's there is say Miller or Bud products,i quickly remember just how bland and crappy they taste.

I just picked up some Capital Brewery Oktoberfest tonight. I know this probably doesn't help you out on the west coast, TLB, but I find it pretty tasty for what it's worth.

Yea, no help, per se... but no news to me (personally) either. Glad to hear you've discovered that Oktoberfest! Capital is a great brewery, and their O-fest, iirc, is my favorite. Make sure to try the Sam Adams verison (as Brett mentioned), Leinenkugel's, and Sprecher's O-fests. All are delicious, too.

...and I have a bit of a fondness for the pumpkin ales that come out this time of year. Buffalo Bill's out of Hayward, CA and Shipyard Pumpkin in the Northeast are two of the finer ones I've sampled.

diomedeh, I'm excited that I noticed the grocery store down the block from me (with an awesome beer selection) does indeed have the Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. I haven't seen the Shipyard Pumpkin, but I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open!

And now, for a random endorsement of a brewery neither in the midwest nor the Pac NW - Flying Dog Brewery. Crazy good brews. Check out your closest Brennan's grocery store if the liquor stores/grocery stores around you don't carry FD.

Anybody here brew their own?

Yup, though I'm pretty new to the hobby. I'm waiting for my Ocotoberfest to be ready, should only be another day or two. The only brew I've made before the O-fest was an IPA and a Hefe. My skill level is still improving as I haven't had the time/patience to attend all grain brewing yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Their beer is still good if anybody is wondering

Good to hear. Tried the Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. Good, not great, but I'm not a huge pumpkin lover. Enjoyable seasonal brew. Deschutes is the brewery I'm into right now. Good stuff across the board so far.

Deschutes is the brewery I'm into right now. Good stuff across the board so far.

I lived in Bend for awhile, in fact that is where my parents live. -- That's where the Deschutes brewery is -- If you haven't ventured

east in OR at all, that is a neat place to visit among other things in Bend, like the Lava Butte, etc... Just make sure you check out

the pass.

I've tried quite a few pumpkin beers, and none of them come close to Lakefront's Pumpkin Lager.

I tried Anchor Steam's Bock last night. I realize it's a few months old but man alive was it tasty. I'm a huge fan of bocks as it is, but this one will definitely be on my radar more often next spring.

My wife found a couple of bottles of Sprecher's Dopplebock for me last week at some random liquor store, and like the Anchor Bock, it was quite good despite being a couple of months old. Two of those and its off to bed early. Another reason why I love the spring.

Sprecher Pub Ale is just amazing. My favorite beer and it would be no matter where it were brewed.

Good call, aracko. Great brew, and Sprecher is an awesome brewery. Looking back on it, living roughly equidistant from both Madison & Milwaukee as my parents do works out very well for my father, who's a beer lover. Great Dane & Capital to the west... Sprecher & Lakefront to the east. Spoiled.

I lived in Bend for awhile, in fact that is where my parents live. -- That's where the Deschutes brewery is -- If you haven't ventured

east in OR at all, that is a neat place to visit among other things in Bend, like the Lava Butte, etc... Just make sure you check out

the pass.

Thanks FtJ. Appreciate you doling

out advice in

oddly spaced increments. Makes it an even

more interesting read!

Seriously, though, I hope to get the chance to check out the rest of Oregon, as we're not far from the Pacific Ocean or the east/mountains. Thanks for the tip, FtJ.

My wife found a couple of bottles of Sprecher's Dopplebock for me last week at some random liquor store, and like the Anchor Bock, it was quite good despite being a couple of months old. Two of those and its off to bed early. Another reason why I love the spring.

Mmmm, sleepy beer buzz... cj have you had Sprecher's Maibock? If you like the Dopple, you'd likely love the Mai. Dangit, now I'm thirsty for beer and have 2+ hours left at work! Oh well, such is beer.

EDIT: Cj, I'll have to get my dad to pick up some of the Lakefront Pumpkin Lager to try before it's gone from store shelves. I'm curious to try it myself, but don't exactly have access to it here.

Anybody here brew their own?

Yup, though I'm pretty new to the hobby. I'm waiting for my Ocotoberfest to be ready, should only be another day or two. The only brew I've made before the O-fest was an IPA and a Hefe. My skill level is still improving as I haven't had the time/patience to attend all grain brewing yet.

I also just got started this year brewing my own. Kinda came with the availability of my own basement to do it in. First batch was a Badger Amber now we're on to a Witbier. Give it a couple of weeks and I'll be enjoying it with some turkey and stuffing. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mmmm, sleepy beer buzz... cj have you had Sprecher's Maibock? If you like the Dopple, you'd likely love the Mai. Dangit, now I'm thirsty for beer and have 2+ hours left at work! Oh well, such is beer.

I'm not so sure if the Dopplebock is a sleepy beer buzz, it's just so dang strong that it gets me buzzed quick. I'm sure back in the day two beers wouldn't do it to me, but these days a beer that is that potent knocks me out.

Sprecher's Mai Bock is my favorite seasonal beer of all time, although last spring I had some unpleasant after effects every time I drank it which I've never experienced before. I'm guessing it was a bad batch or something. I tried drinking Capital's Mai Bock instead, but it just isn't nearly as good as Sprecher's.

Be sure to pick up Lakefront's Pumpkin in the next week or two before its off the shelves. It is probably the most unique beer I have ever had, and it is truly like drinking pumpkin pie, although you can tell that it is somewhat based off of their Riverwest Stein, which just happens to be my favorite year-long brew.

The New Glarus Staghorn (Octoberfest) finally migrated itself far enough north recently. I think I may pick some up this weekend. Thoughts on it?

I tried it a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. I've found that I like Octoberfest beers, especially Leinies Oktoberfest.

Archived