Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The beer in the Czech Republic is considered by many to be the best in the world, iirc.

Was the one you tried Pilsner Urquell? By the way - am I the only one that, when hearing that name, always get this -

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/d7/180px-Stefan_Urquelle.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Since this thread is still garnering attention, I thought that I'd post about my newest beer joy. The beer/style - India Brown Ale. The brewer - Dogfish Head (Delaware). I wasn't sure what to expect at first as the first thing I think of when I see "Brown Ale" is Newcastle (which is highly overated beer in my opinion). To my great surprise, the brew from Dogfish Head is amazing as it was almost porter-like in body and color (maybe not quite as heavy though) but had an absolute wicked "hop" edge to it like you would associate with an IPA. Dogfish Head is one brewer that continues to amaze me with their beer.

Another winner from the weekend is Stoudt's Pils (an American style pilsner). It is exactly my idea of what a "gulping" beer should be. Lighter in color and body but nails on the great flavors that make a pilsner a pilsner. This is one that you could pull out of the cooler at a tailgate that would not freak out those folks who rarely drink anything other than premium domestics.

Kind of off topic, but I've heard from some old timers that the Schlitz and Pabst of today taste nothing like they did back in the old days. Basically, if you buy these beers today, you are just buying the label.

That's the case for most of the beers that have been around for that long. Typically, the brand is in trouble and is bought out by someone looking to make a buck off the name and they buthcer the quality in the process because they're driven by cost-cutting measures.

Old Style was bought in name by Stroh's, but they didn't buy the recipe. They were then purchased by Pabst and contract brewed by Miller. I consider it to be among the world's least-drinkable beers.

Pabst was bought out by a businessman in 1985 and quality went down the toilet.

Schlitz tried cutting brewing costs in the late 70's and it made the beer crappy - leading to their downfall and eventual sale to Stroh's and then Pabst. Blatz went belly-up in 1960 and was purchased by Pabst.

Most of these beers are all now contract brewed by Miller.

The moral of the story is "don't buy a successful beer and try to change it - there's a reason it's popular".

Was the one you tried Pilsner Urquell?

That's a great beer IMO.

Nice post, Ando - that IBA really sounds intriguing, as I agree with you on Newcastle. Decent to good, but not great - and it for some reason has a superstar image. I do wonder though if - like Guinness - Newcastle is simply a different beer when it doesn't have to be carbonated (or whatever it is they do) for overseas shipment.

That's the case for most of the beers that have been around for that long. Typically, the brand is in trouble and is bought out by someone looking to make a buck off the name and they buthcer the quality in the process because they're driven by cost-cutting measures.

Old Style was bought in name by Stroh's, but they didn't buy the recipe. They were then purchased by Pabst and contract brewed by Miller. I consider it to be among the world's least-drinkable beers.

Pabst was bought out by a businessman in 1985 and quality went down the toilet.

Schlitz tried cutting brewing costs in the late 70's and it made the beer crappy - leading to their downfall and eventual sale to Stroh's and then Pabst. Blatz went belly-up in 1960 and was purchased by Pabst.

Most of these beers are all now contract brewed by Miller.

The moral of the story is "don't buy a successful beer and try to change it - there's a reason it's popular".

Interesting to know that. Another observation that I've made is that many of the "mom and pop" type joints still sport the old-school white outdoor signs from Old Style, Pabst, Schlitz and even Blatz and Hamms. Obviously most of these have to date back at least 25 years. I wonder why you don't see many newer signs for Miller, Bud, etc. like this. I'm assuming that back in the old days the breweries bought the signs for the bars for advertising purposes. My guess is that if you went into a lot of these joints today, you couldn't even get the beer on the sign on tap.

Nice post, Ando - that IBA really sounds intriguing, as I agree with you on Newcastle. Decent to good, but not great - and it for some reason has a superstar image. I do wonder though if - like Guinness - Newcastle is simply a different beer when it doesn't have to be carbonated (or whatever it is they do) for overseas shipment.

I'm fairly certain the Newcastle is brewed over seas and imported into the U.S., but Guinness on the other hand is not. The Guinness that we drink in the U.S. is brewed in Canada. I learned this last September at St. James Gate in Dublin when my wife and I were on vacation.

I think that what makes Newcastle popular is that it isn't extreme in any regard and is therefore very drinkable for folks who want to try an ale. It's flavor is just, well, mild (which is the reason I don't go for it much these days). When I first started branching out in my beer drinking Newcastle was one that I gravitated towards. Drinking a good import or microbrew after experiencing nothing but premium domestics is a huge switch in what one is used to. The differnce in the flavor at first is really strange and overwhelming sometimes. Sam Adams Boston Lager was another one that helped introduce me to really good beer as it is another one that I think is prett mild. After you get used to the fact that different brew styles are supposed to be completely different from what you grew up with, it really helps open you up to trying new beers.

Since this thread is still garnering attention, I thought that I'd post about my newest beer joy. The beer/style - India Brown Ale. The brewer - Dogfish Head (Delaware).

Can I ask where you purchased that? I had some Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA this past weekend and thought it was pretty darn good. That India Brown Ale sounds outstanding and different. I go to Woodman's for their great beer selection and didn't see anything like that, but I'll have to track some of that down.

I also got a sampler pack of Smutty Nose from New Hampshire. Their porter and lager that were in there were just okay, but the Brown Ale and Pale Ale I thought were very good, especially the Brown Ale which is a style I'm usually not too big on.

Interesting to know that. Another observation that I've made is that many of the "mom and pop" type joints still sport the old-school white outdoor signs from Old Style, Pabst, Schlitz and even Blatz and Hamms. Obviously most of these have to date back at least 25 years. I wonder why you don't see many newer signs for Miller, Bud, etc. like this. I'm assuming that back in the old days the breweries bought the signs for the bars for advertising purposes. My guess is that if you went into a lot of these joints today, you couldn't even get the beer on the sign on tap.

My guess is that the owners like keeping "old faithful" up, simply to hearken back to "the good old days." I could be off-base, but my guess is that any distribution rep worth his salt can easily get the bar owners a free replacement sign for one of the brews they're currently stocking, assuming it's a major company like Miller or Anheuser-Busch. I mean, you go into any newer bar, and there are signs from the current companies all over, including banners, pictures, mirrors, illuminated signs, etc. The bars are getting that stuff for free for carrying the product.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Can I ask where you purchased that? I had some Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA this past weekend and thought it was pretty darn good. That India Brown Ale sounds outstanding and different. I go to Woodman's for their great beer selection and didn't see anything like that, but I'll have to track some of that down.

I picked it up at B& B Beverages in Doylestown, PA. Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA is quite good. Killer Hop flavor but its bite isn't as aggressive as other hop-monsters I've had. If you like their IPA, also give their Raison d'etre a chance as well. It kind of reminds me of a Scottish Ale but with more hop flavor.

Not sure where in the Pac Northwest you are, but last time I was there I went to the Stumbling Monk in Seattle up on Capitol Hill. Probably one of my all time fav beer bars.

They had my current passion there, in full effect...the Belgian Golden Ale.

You should be able to find either a Duvel or Northcoast Pranqster fairly easily...both are fairly potent golden ales that are absolutely delicious. Worth a taste, I'd say.

Thanks for that tip, diomedeh, I'll keep my eyes open. Fwiw, enjoying an 18-pk. (not just by myself) of PBR tonight - $9.99 at the grocery store! That's right, 55.5 cents/can. Mmmmm, farms for beer used to be in hometownnnnn...

Everything tastes like water after PBR

That should be their new marketing slogan - honestly. No one's buying PBR for its 'complex hop structure' http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Went to the Moosejaw in Wisconsin Dells. I thought the beer was ok, but the food was way overpriced. $19 for a pizza the size of a Tombstone pizza. My wife had the Stout and I had the Weissebier. I thought it tasted much like Hacker Pschorr. If you are in the Dells, I might reccomend trying it. If you are just as close to Madison as you are to the Dells, like me, I would reccomend going to Paisans and stopping at the Great Dane for a Growler.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It might've been $4, not totally sure, but yea. Plus, when I went out, you'd never guess where I went. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif $1 dollar employee pints, and the price on pitchers ranged from free (from the cool-ass bartenders) to roughly $3-4. I got so spoiled.

Didn't hurt that I lived less than a block away, though. Great beer, great brewers - they're awesome guys. Support these guys whenever you can - plus it's not like you have to buy beer that isn't great in order to do so!

Archived