Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew

However, I really do enjoy [Leinie's] Creamy Dark and Oktoberfest.

Mmmm... Creamy Dark...

Just wanted to pitch that beer again, since I still think it's so overlooked. I think the name scares many people off, but it's such a great beer.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried the Leinie's nut brown and while it wasn't impressive, it wasn't bad either.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan either. It seemed to me to have an overpowering taste of vanilla to it. I like some of the beers that Leinie's brews but they seem to try too hard to make overly fruity or sweet beers for people that don't normally like beer.

I like some of the beers that Leinie's brews but they seem to try too hard to make overly fruity or sweet beers for people that don't normally like beer.

"Appealing to the masses", I suppose. I liked the Nut Brown, but in the same way as all the Leinie's I like (and in the same way Invader put so eloquently), it's a solid average beer.

I came this close to grabbing a Creamy Dark yesterday on my trip to Festival. But they literally only had 2 other beers I hadn't tried (or wanted to), so I skipped the sixer from them, and went to my nice liquor lady. She had 4 (lousy week for the sixer builds) that I found interesting, but I grabbed two others and called it a day. Tonight I tried Breckenridge's Agave Wheat...interesting. About the thickest wheat I've ever seen. Citrusy, and the wheat was there, but that's it. No sweetness, no banana or bubble gum, no clove. Above average, but I'm don't think I'll go out of my way to try it again.

Is it just me or does Leinies Red seem sweeter than it used to? My wife and I just had some Red within the last week and both thought it was sweeter. We used to drink Red and the Honey Weiss pretty much all the time. For the last couple years we have stuck with Porter, Stout, or Weiss beer so maybe our tastes have changed.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Nothing to report beer tasting-wise, my recent tries have been average at best. But, since I've been somewhat laid-up the past couple months, I've tried to stay at least a little active by finally, after 2+ years, working on the bar in the basement. One of the ideas my nice lady friend came up with was to take the "best" of the beers I'd tried (I still had all the bottles since I was foolishly keeping them all), smash the bottles (carefully) so that the labels remained more or less intact, then lay out the remainder of the bottles on the bar, and pour a two-part epoxy-ish goo over them. Here's the best shots I could get:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/ibashmuck/100_0958.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/ibashmuck/100_0955.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/ibashmuck/100_0952.jpg

Sadly, the shots don't really show the bar with any depth. The pieces of glass (other than the ones attached to labels) appear to be floating next to and above other pieces in about an inch of water. It was a trial and error process. We did half the top first, and soon two things became apparent: 1)"flattening" the bottles as much as possible is very important or else 2)you're gonna need alot more goo (at $50 a pop). Consequently, the right side of the bar was considerably rougher. Even after three full applications of the goo, there were many pieces of glass sticking out of the goo. Not sharp pieces, of course, but big rounded pieces. In some cases I was able to chisel some away, in others sanding worked. But I wanted to keep some texture to it, just not so much that when you set your drink on it it tips over.

Pretty cool, I think. My mother and husband came down from Three Lakes a bit back, and they really dug the top. They're running the bar/restaurant at the golf course up there, and were looking for something interesting that no one else in town had, and thought this would work great. Don't know if they want to go through with it, but a huge full-sized bar with chunks of beer, wine, and booze bottles would be slick.

I don't see a Dancing Man label anywhere.

That's correct. The DaMan get's it's own special spot. We're thinking about taking a "deep" picture frame, putting the bottle in that and covering it with the goo. Also thought about putting one right in the middle of the bar top essentially raised above the rest. The labels go from right to left on the top in terms of how good they are. I couldn't get a decent pic of the right side, which is why you don't see Spotted Cow, Franziskaner, HP, etc.

Good eye, though.

My wife and I stopped by BevMo today and I noticed a lot of the 2008 holiday and winter brews have been released--even though we'd just come for wine, I picked up a sixer of Anchor's holiday ale, and also the Jubelale ("a festive winter ale") by Deschutes, from up Too Live Brew's way in Bend, Oregon.

I liked the beer well enough, dark malts/hoppy, nothing spectacular, a decent quaffer, but it's got one of the more beautiful labels I've seen in a long time. Gorgeous.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/bottle-jubelale.gif

just to let everyone know if they weren't aware, new glarus apple ale and alt are now in stores. I'm going to discount after work today to pick these up, and hopefully I'll grab a bottle of goose island county bourbon stout while i'm at it.

as for new reviews, I had founders' backwoods bastard last weekend. I was very impressed at how distinct the flavors were, and I liked the bit of warmth from the alcohol. I'm starting to really dig these styles where you can taste the "oak" and vanilla. Its one of those beers that could help me warm up through a fast approaching cold wisconsin winter. can any experts on here tell me the best way for me to differentiate between a stout and a scotch ale? Sometimes they seem to taste almost exactly the same.

until later, happy drinking!

I'm totally stoked about the winter seasonals coming out. I'm generally not a big fan of malty beers, but winter/christmas beers are such a perfect match for the season. Nothing like sitting by the fire on a snowy day, sipping on a beer that bottles the essence of the holiday season. I usually pick up the Sam Adams Christmas Sampler at least once each season...anyone have any other winter/christmas suggestions?

I picked up the Furthermore Oscura and the Sierra Nevada Harvest Series Wet Hop. Oscura was really interesting. It's a brown lager infused with coffee. Big coffee aroma and taste, but the beer itself is pretty light. I think I said it before, but Firthermore really makes interesting/unconvential beer. I hope they really take off.

The Wet Hop Ale is one of a series of fresh hop ales Sierra Nevada makes. The hops allegedly go from field to brew kettle in less than 24 hours, so it's all about the fresh hops. I thought it was a really tasty beer. The hop flavors were big...bright, fruity, citrusy, but not aggressively bitter. Worth a shot if you're a hop head.

I usually pick up the Sam Adams Christmas Sampler at least once each season...anyone have any other winter/christmas suggestions?
In the past, I wasn't really into any of the winter warmer/darker brews, which probably explains why the ones I have tried didn't do anything for me: Anderson Valley Winter Solstice, Redhook's Winterhook, A.B.'s Winter's Bourbon Cask, and even Point's St Benedict's Winter was drinkable, but nothing exciting. I will say however that Berghoff's Red Bock Winter was very good. Guess I dig the bock's more than the warmer's. I did snag Sam Adams Winter Lager and Sierra Nevada's Celebration on my last trip to Festival. Also grabbed Berghoff's Dark.

I finally tried Leinie's Creamy Dark. Not bad, but just not thrilling. What I would expect from Leinie's.

My wife and I stopped by BevMo today and I noticed a lot of the 2008 holiday and winter brews have been released--even though we'd just come for wine, I picked up a sixer of Anchor's holiday ale, and also the Jubelale ("a festive winter ale") by Deschutes, from up Too Live Brew's way in Bend, Oregon.

I liked the beer well enough, dark malts/hoppy, nothing spectacular, a decent quaffer, but it's got one of the more beautiful labels I've seen in a long time. Gorgeous.

Oh man I really like the Jubelale. What's even better is that Deschutes opened their first brewpub in Portland last year, so I can get the Jubelale & all their other awesome brews on tap (brewed on-site). Killer.

can any experts on here tell me the best way for me to differentiate between a stout and a scotch ale? Sometimes they seem to taste almost exactly the same.

Disclaimer: I'm certainly no expert. I find that stouts tend to have a creamier consistency, where scotch ales tend (imo) to have a more 'beer-y' consistency. It's interesting to me that you find scotch ales to taste like stouts, since I wouldn't make that comparison. Probably in play there is that I just don't drink much in the way of stouts. Logan likes stouts iirc... maybe he can have a better discussion with you there.

fstorm, nicely done with the bar. I've seen similar applications, but I can't say I've seen one that uses glass shards from actual beer bottles. Very clever.

Just curious, is that the new MillerCoors mark in your avatar?

As for recent/new beers that I've tried, my wife picked me up a random 6-pack of amber ales from Brennan's a few weeks ago, and I really liked the taste of the Poppy Jasper/El Toro Brewing Co. Amber Ale. Check it out if you haven't already.

can any experts on here tell me the best way for me to differentiate between a stout and a scotch ale? Sometimes they seem to taste almost exactly the same.

Disclaimer: I'm certainly no expert. I find that stouts tend to have a creamier consistency, where scotch ales tend (imo) to have a more 'beer-y' consistency. It's interesting to me that you find scotch ales to taste like stouts, since I wouldn't make that comparison. Probably in play there is that I just don't drink much in the way of stouts. Logan likes stouts iirc... maybe he can have a better discussion with you there.

It also might be because I had a breakfast stout immediately before i had the backwoods bastard (scotch ale). this was probably the first real scotch ale i've ever had, and coming after a "huge" beer they might have sort of run into each other. but both beers did seem to have a very similar finish, and I like to think i'm pretty good at picking up subtle differences. but i could always be wrong there http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

No, no -- not doubting your experience there datrain. Just interesting to me. I'll have to pay closer attention to those styles. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

[Jubelale]'s got one of the more beautiful labels I've seen in a long time. Gorgeous.

Sorry... meant to comment on this in my last post but forgot. That label is new for this season. I can't remember exactly what the label looked like last year, but when I saw this year's I had the same thoughts, SF. It evokes the Northern Lights, and sort of the peaceful, serene beauty of winter. I really like it too.

Oh, and I do want to go on record that I love the beer at least as much as its new label. Fortunately for me (bc it makes me look semi-credible http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif) the "Bros" at beeradvocate.com give it an A

Another great Oregon craft-brew winter beer is the Full Sail (Hood River, OR) Wassail. Beerdavocate.com's Bros love this one too, dishing out another A grade. Can't say I disagree, and I think I actually like the 2008 Wassail better than the 2008 Jubelale (which is saying something). Funny... the Bros at ba.com really don't hand out A's very often. For whatever reason, Full Sail & Deschutes really know what they're doing with the winter warmer style.

Here's the official ba.com review on the Jubelale:

"Presentation: 12 oz brown long-neck bottle with no freshness date, artsy themed label.

Appearance: Deep brownish garnet color with a good clarity, light tan lace adorns the top ... a product of densely frothed head.

Smell: Sweet and earthy with a big hand of caramel, candied fruit and mineral. Hops are soft in the aroma with a leafy character.

Taste: Nice flush full body, smooth and crisp in the mouth. Malt character is very broad with a bitter-sweet start and a chocolaty finish with hints of lightly roasted coffee. Esters are quite abundant but are quelled with the sweetness of the brew, alcohol warms quite well. Fruity of the dark ripened variety, fig or prune in the mix? Hop bitterness cuts through the malt and leaves a trail of flavor that gets lost before the after taste. A triple fold of alcohol spiciness, heavy leftover hops and the mild chocolaty finish rush for the finish line. Pleasant and complex after taste.

Notes: One of the top true (unspiced) winter warmers in the US, a must year after year. A bottle full of holiday cheer or just something to warm your soul.

Serving type: bottle"

And Wassail:

"Presentation: 12oz brown with a "enjoy by" date clearly marked. X-mas seasonal themed label

Appearance: Deep dark reddish brown with a fluffy light tan head that is really amazing, even pouring the brew was a treat on to its self ... medium sized bubbly cascading effect when poured vigorously.

Smell: A rich piney citrusy hop and almost rustic aroma of dark grains ranging from toasted to roasted to hints of chocolate and caramel. Very inviting with a pleasing fruitiness to boot.

Taste: Big, full bodied and creamy smooth ... lots of malt and fruit up front with flavours of raw honey and pears. Though a blend of alcoholic esters and aggressive hop bitterness wedge right in the middle and give off a warming feeling plus bitter / sweet earthy citrusy piney flavour. Hints of chocolate and prune in the back end with a dark chocolate cake like finish from the decent amount of residual sweetness in the end.

Notes: Very much a winter warmer with an American flare ... very impressive and a sheer joy to sip at cellar temp (55*F). One of the hoppier winter brews to be had. If you see this one on the shelf, buy it and sip the cold winter away.

Serving type: bottle

Another great Oregon craft-brew winter beer is the Full Sail (Hood River, OR) Wassail. Beerdavocate.com's Bros love this one too, dishing out another A grade. Can't say I disagree,
you know I ALWAYS disagree with those guys. As far as my favorite Oregon Winter (that you can get in a bottle anyway) the Bridgeport Ebineezer is my clear winner . . .

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43/2325

And as far as the Northwest goes I love the Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Ale as much as any beer anywhere . . .

The BA boys of course give it a "meh"

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/364/2865

But all that may be trumped by whatever Amnesia Breweing has for a winter . . . . I would know, if only I still lived in Portland . . . .

http://beeradvocate.com/b...rofile/9685/?view=beerfly

Their Copacetic IPA currently tops Georgetown Brewing's Supper Chopper Ale as my absolute favorite beer.

As far as my favorite Oregon Winter (that you can get in a bottle anyway) the Bridgeport Ebineezer is my clear winner

The Ebenezer is the only main OR craft-brew winter beer I've yet to try in bottles. I've had it at the brewpub, and it's good. I'll have to give it a try bottled.

But all that may be trumped by whatever Amnesia Brewing has for a winter . . . . I would know, if only I still lived in Portland . . . .

I need to figure out how I can get my butt over there. You've got the bar set really high for their brews. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

EDIT: In checking out the Ebenezer page EDR linked, I noticed the Lake Superior Brewery's Old Man Winter Warmer has an A- grade so far through 43 reviews. I don't recall if anyone has posted about this one already, but I'd love to hear what people think about it.

This is a comment in one of the reviews on Old Man Winter, and I've seen it suggested for several 'winter warmer' beers: "After having a few, I've found that it's definitely best served just under room temp."

Yeah, I'll agree with winter warmer comment. They really seem to change more as they warm compared to any other style I've had. Berghoff's Dark, technically not a warmer, but certainly a darker, late season brew, changed quite a bit. Good beer, though.

And a little off topic, but tonight I finally had a solid, through and through enjoyable Sam Adams: their Winter Lager. Very good, although I will say that it's "spice" could've been a touch stronger. As I read the Bros.' reviews, I notice that one review (from 2002) mentions how strong the spice, yet the other, from '08, states "I remember when this beer used to be a little bit bigger, badder and ... well better". Anybody got a bottle from '02 laying around? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Logan likes stouts iirc... maybe he can have a better discussion with you there.

My wife likes the Stouts and Porters. She hasn't found a Scotch Ale she likes though. Of course she has only tried a couple. The one at the Great Dane which she didn't like and said tasted like wiskey. New Glarus Road Slush is highly recommended for Stouts(by my wife). I doesn't come out until March though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Ok a few comments from my weekend.

bought a few 6 packs of new glarus ALT and now I will be buying a few cases of it. this is absolutely a wonderful beer. As you can read on beeradvocate, it is a tough beer to classify, but to me it is a perfect smooth holiday brew. and at $6.49 for a 6 pack I was floored.

Also burned through some Sierra Nevada celebration ale. I think this year's is really good. The hops are a little more balanced this year, as last year's seemed to have too much hops for me. A classic cold weather beer in my opinion.

Also tried some fireside nut brown by leinenkugel's. I thought it was ok, but the coffee taste got a little overwhelming after a while. Not bad for a beer or two, but can't hold a candle to a Samuel Smith.

$6.49 for a sixer of anything New Glarus is awesome. Good find datrain. I'll have to pick up some of the S. Nevada Celebration Ale. That's such a good 'big' craft brewery.

The one at the Great Dane which she didn't like and said tasted like whiskey.

Ha -- that Stone of Scone Scotch Ale is certainly not one to try to introduce someone to craft beers on. That sucker packs a punch. At least up to the time I worked there, it was their strongest ABV brew of the 'regular' beers.

See, this sorta bum's me out. I've tried like heck over the last few years to really expand my tastes, really give different styles a try, and maybe another, and again, etc. I've discovered that I'm a fan of Oktobers, bocks/doppelbocks, and some porters, yet I just can't get myself to like any IPA's. There's some that are tolerable, but in most cases, I can't taste anything above the grapefruit/bitterness. And it's twice as buggin' because it seems IPAs and the like are the "flavor of the month" in terms of beer styles.

Like a knucklehead, I'll proally keep trying though.

Archived