Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew

3.) Great Dane: Our tour was given by the brewmaster himself, which was awesome because we were able to ask a lot of questions and get a pretty hands-on demonstration of brewing machinery. I thought it was really interesting because of the insight gained from someone other than a tour guide. He also let us sample a few beers that weren't ready for tapping yet.

As a past employee of the downtown Great Dane, I can tell you that the brewers there are every bit as cool as they are skilled in their craft. When you buy/drink their beer, you're definitely supporting some awesome dudes. I learned so much about beer from just hanging around after my shifts & chatting with the brewers. Of course, the one I asked the most questions about is my favorite -- the Tri-Pepper Pilsner. Oh MAN what I wouldn't do for a growler of that!

None of [the other Oktoberfests] comes close to the Capital

Capital's Oktoberfest is a sensationally good brew. For the variety, I believe that it's about as good as you can find anywhere in the U.S.

My beer of choice for this evening? Furthermore's Knot Stock (a pale brewed with black pepper). Really good beer from a really good brewery. For those looking for a beer to fit the season, try Furthermore's Fallen Apple, a cream ale made with apple cider. It's fantastic!

The Knot Stock sounds right up my alley, MOTB, and if you have the chance, try the Tri-Pepper Pilsner I just mentioned. Stellar -- but it packs some heat, so be forewarned. Not sure what I think of an apple cider cream ale, but I'd certainly be willing to give it a try. I vowed I would never like a fruit wheat, and then I tried the Kona Wailua (passionfruit) Wheat.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a past employee of the downtown Great Dane, I can tell you that the brewers there are every bit as cool as they are skilled in their craft. When you buy/drink their beer, you're definitely supporting some awesome dudes. I learned so much about beer from just hanging around after my shifts & chatting with the brewers.

That's great to know. I didn't need any arm-twisting to buy/drink Great Dane stuff before, but I certainly don't now. I toured the downtown location and got to learn so much about the brewing process. The guy (Mike) started us off by making sure we had a beer, then pouring one for himself. As we walked along the tour, he'd throw in tidbits of whatever he felt like mentioning. It wasn't rehearsed or contrived in the least. You're a lucky dude to have worked there, I'm sure.

The Knot Stock sounds right up my alley, MOTB, and if you have the chance, try the Tri-Pepper Pilsner I just mentioned. Stellar -- but it packs some heat, so be forewarned. Not sure what I think of an apple cider cream ale, but I'd certainly be willing to give it a try. I vowed I would never like a fruit wheat, and then I tried the Kona Wailua (passionfruit) Wheat.

I've never had the Tri-Pepper Pilsner, but a group of my friends that attended UW still speak reverently about the Dane's pepper beer. This must be it. I thought they were joking at first because I couldn't imagine a pepper beer being drinkable, but they were dead serious. The Knot Stock isn't too spicy...rather it can makes your throat a little scratchy and you kind of feel the same feeling as when black pepper wants to make you sneeze. It's still really good though. I was never into fruit beers until I tried NG's Belgian Red. Before that I'd only had Leinie's BerryWeiss, which I think is just awful. When a brewery can do a fruit beer well, it's something incredible. I haven't seen anything by Kona, but I've heard a lot of really great things about their porter. That passionfruit wheat sounds interesting. The apple cider flavor in Fallen Apple isn't in your face at all...the cider comes from an orchard "just down the road" from Furthermore's Spring Green location. It's not spiced cider, just freshly pressed. Tasty, easy-drinking stuff.

Chio151-Coolness. More good info, thanks. I'll look for the Du Monde tomorrow, hopefully. I've actually seen/read/heard of a number of "spicy" beers. Someone in this very thread (too lazy to search, sorry) mentioned a spicy they had tried. I know that I have seen a brew at Flanagan's in Appleton that had a jalapeno in the bottle. I thought it a bit gimmicky at first, but each time I see it, I get closer to grabbing it.

ManOfTheBeer- The Miller tour is great, despite their macro-ness. So much history...I won't go into too many details, but the word "cave" comes to mind. I'm all for the little guys, too. Capital, Berghoff, and Point, although not technically tiny as just about everyone in the state has heard of them, but those three have all shot way up on my charts since I started this tasting "hobby". I recall distinctly 7 years ago, while on a mini vacation at the beautiful Trempealeau Hotel (in beautiful Trempealeau of course), I was introduced to a "small micro" on tap. Well, needless to say I drank that all night Friday, and then all night Saturday. Upon returning home, I couldn't find it anywhere...no one had ever heard of it...Spotted Cow. Soon thereafter, Flanagan's got it, and now I'm shocked if a bar anywhere in the state doesn't at least have it in bottles (one of the bars I played softball for this past summer didn't have it, I +++%#%* to the lovely barmaiden...okay begged and pleaded nicely, and now they have it too). One of the little guys' making it big. Diving back words again, 15 years ago (gaaahh), the first place I celebrated my 21st was Water Street Brewery. I'd bet real money that I spent some quality time at Lakefront...but I'll be darned if I can remember them. But that tour sounds like a blast.

And when I win the lottery and take that statewide tour, not only will I keep a travelogue, but I'll video it, and write a book about it. 'Course, I'm one of those types that dreams of winning the lottery, but never actually plays the lottery.

Finished the last of my "Oktoberfest Sixer" with Spaten's. Very good, one of the better's I've had. Low carbonation, but still smooth and delicious. Not close to Capital, though. Can't wait to try a Staghorn. I developed a liking for Maibocks this past Spring, these Oktober's kinda remind me of that style. Not overpowering in anyway.

colbyjack-We're here to help. Remember: it's Capital, Sam Adams, New Glarus, and Spaten. Can't go wrong with any of them, it seems.

ManOfTheBeer (again)-I had the Tom's Pomegranate as well. Yikes. With wheats being my favorite, it was particularily irritating. I had the Knot Stock, but, as I mentioned in my review at BA, I may be the only person on the planet to not taste any of the pepper. But I will give it another go.

TooLiveBrew- I checked on the Wailua Wheat; no go here in Wisconsin. Ratfarts. That's another I may never get to try (Live Oak's from Texas being the other). But more proof I need to get down the Madison way (Great Dane and then off to New Glarus).

ManOfTheBeer (one more time)- I'm pretty certain I've seen that Fallen Apple by "my" liquor lady. But, much like you, I've had a hard time with any "fruit/vegetable" beers. I've now tried 9, and only two can I recommend: Pyramid's Apricot Ale, and Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale. And neither of those is a good "session" beer, just maybe one or two at the end of the night to get rid of the vomit taste, uh, I mean, cleanse the pallet.

By the way: you now have my favorite username. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Oh, and one other brewery I'd like to mention: Silver Creek in Cedarburg. Tried 'em out at Hops & Props and although I didn't care for much of their beer selection, they had the most amazing root beer, the Blonde Root Beer. I haven't had anything more than a half dozen sips of soda in the past 10+ years, but this stuff was amazing. And it looks just like a regular lager beer. The gimmick is that you can drink it all night and fool your friends who think you should be just as drunk as they. I emailed them some time back and asked where I could get it, and they "as yet" don't distribute it.

While I'm thinking about it, is anyone interested in trading beer? I'm set with Dancing Man for awhile (although my dad's coming to visit this weekend, may go through my stock quickly), but tonight at Festival I saw that they still had at least 3 sixers left. I'd be all for picking some up and trading if someone has an itch to try it but can't get it (i.e. out of state). Anybody interested?

I've never had the Tri-Pepper Pilsner, but a group of my friends that attended UW still speak reverently about the Dane's pepper beer. This must be it. I thought they were joking at first because I couldn't imagine a pepper beer being drinkable, but they were dead serious.

Yep, that has to be the Tri-Pepper. It's awesome. They use the Czech Pilsner as the base, and use real poblano, jalapeno, & habanero peppers in the brewing process. Holy crap did I just give myself a beer boner there. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

As we walked along the tour, he'd throw in tidbits of whatever he felt like mentioning. It wasn't rehearsed or contrived in the least.

Yep, that fits. Like I mentioned, the brewers there are just flat-out cool dudes. I've also probably seen them about as drunk as they get, which adds to the charm imo as well!

You're a lucky dude to have worked there, I'm sure.

Yes and no... my gig was as a doorman. Thankless job many nights. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Knot Stock isn't too spicy...rather it can makes your throat a little scratchy and you kind of feel the same feeling as when black pepper wants to make you sneeze. It's still really good though.

That sounds awesome. As long as you like spicy (I LOVE spicy) I really, really think that you'd like the Tri-Pepper. I'd recommend calling the downtown Great Dane (608-284-0000) & asking when the Tri-Pepper will be on tap.

I haven't seen anything by Kona, but I've heard a lot of really great things about their porter. That passionfruit wheat sounds interesting. The apple cider flavor in Fallen Apple isn't in your face at all...the cider comes from an orchard "just down the road" from Furthermore's Spring Green location. It's not spiced cider, just freshly pressed. Tasty, easy-drinking stuff.

It's too bad that Kona isn't more widely available... but it's also too bad that breweries like Capitol & New Glarus aren't available out here in the NW. To each region, its own, I guess. Their Pipeline Porter is very well-regarded. I'm not a huge porter fan, but people that like porters seem to love Kona's.

I developed a liking for Maibocks this past Spring

Fstorm -- when you make it down Madison/Great Dane way, be sure to try their Maibock if it's in season. Awesome, awesome beer.

I checked on the Wailua Wheat; no go here in Wisconsin. Ratfarts. That's another I may never get to try (Live Oak's from Texas being the other). But more proof I need to get down the Madison way (Great Dane and then off to New Glarus).

Yeah -- sorry. Kona Brewing Co. is a Hawaiian brewery, and I can't imagine that their brews are easy to find east of the Rockies. Their Fire Rock Pale Ale (as I've mentioned a lot... sorry) is my favorite 'never before tried' Pale Ale since moving to the NW. Kona as a whole is a great brewery -- it'd fit right in with Wisconsin's great craft breweries.

Ok want to thank you guys for some recommendations. I just tired Tres Pistoles, and it is extremely flavorful. I could see why people would only have 1 or 2 of these, because the 9 percent does pack a punch. But it is basically a cornocopia of different flavors. I drank the first exceptionally slow to try and give my brain a chance to catch up to my mouth http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I liked it better than Delerium Nocturnum, which was my favorite belgian dark.

Also tried left hand milk stout. This really hit the spot for me because I was craving a creamy beer. Very smooth and satisfying. I enjoyed the taste better than other stouts i've had recently. Could drink a ton of these.

Samuel Smith nut brown ale. This stuff is unbelivable. I hope everyone here has had at least one experience where they were craving something specific, and got exactly what they hoped for. I loved the sweet-dry combo while tasting this. The color was gorgeous as well.

Just an FYI for anyone in the waukesha area...the guy at discount pretty much said that he'll order anything that is on their distribution list if people request it. So next up for me to try will be Hitachino Nest White Ale and Dark Lord Imperial Stout

Thanks again for the beer discussion.

Alrighty, swung by Flanagan's this afternoon specifically to find the Trois Pistoles and La Fin Du Monde. Couldn't find either. Came home, checked their website, and sure enough, both are listed. Have to make another trip, it seems. But, "while in Rome", I picked up a sixer. Grabbed another Knot Stock, plus New Glarus Berliner Weiss (I may have giggled like a school girl when I saw it), Capital's Autumnal Fire Doppelbock and their Square Series Baltic Porter, and number 5 was the aforementioned spicy beer I'd seen there before, the Cave Creek "Chili Beer" with the hot pepper in the bottom (I deliberately didn't link those beers with their pages at BA...don't want to see what their grades are before trying). I started it off tonight by trying the Victory Whirlwind Witbier. Good stuff, a bit flat despite it's medium faomy head, but there's a nifty little spice kick at the end. Very, very drinkable. Could easily go through a sixer of those in no time.

I'm pretty certain the Berliner will be my first tomorrow for the Packer game.

Oh, and I'd also like to mention, after my nice lady friend picked some up at Flanagan's, Point's killer Black Cherry Cream soda. I'm no soda drinker, but I've had a sip or two of hers, and, although a bit sweet for my taste, it's spot on for, well, black cherry cream.

fstorm1 - I've heard the Miller tour described as "caves" as well, as a matter of fact. I'm in West Bend, so it's not like it would be a week-long pilgrimage to do the Miller tour. Someday soon I will. I see and agree with your point about the little guys not being so little anymore. But to me, they're such a huge point of pride for me as a native Wisconsinite beer lover. In town here we have a small brewpub/restaurant (Riverside Brewery & Restaurant) that is absolutely nowhere near the size of any well-known craft brewery in the state, but they still make some decent stuff. Basically any brewer that actually tries to do different styles and isn't afraid of flavor gets big points in my book. On the topic of fruit beers, I'm thankful someone can attest to the horrid nature of Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat. I enjoy Pyramid's Apricot but haven't had the Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale. The Milwaukee Ale House's orange blossom cream is fantastic though. My 3 favorite fruit beers are New Glarus Belgian Red, Sea Dog Brewing's Blue Paw Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale, and New Glarus's Unplugged Cherry Stout. It's funny that you mentioned Silver Creek...I live 20 min away and have been there on several occasions. You're dead on about the blonde root beer...awesome awesome stuff. Their own beer isn't half bad and they keep a rotating tap system of pretty high quality beers by style. A very good beer bar for my money.

TooLiveBrew - I can tell already in my day or so of reading this thread that you know your stuff. I trust your recommendation of the Dane's Tri-Pepper Pilsner and will give them a call. I've been meaning to spend a Saturday afternoon there watching a Badgers game and sipping some high quality brews soon. "Beer boner" is a fantastic phrase that I wish I could work into my lexicon when out sampling beers. I'm pretty sure I'd be guilty of overuse pretty quickly. Great word(s). Working as a doorman at the Dane allowed you to drink free beer though, right? If so, I think I could be convinced to do it in my sparetime. As for Kona, I'm really interested in checking them out too. I love porters, so the Pipeline Porter would be way up my list. But the pale ale and the wheat sound pretty nice. I think there are some websites that allow people to order bottles of beer to be delivered to their doorstep. I will be checking those out to see if Kona's available. Otherwise, as fstorm1 suggested, we could try to get some sort of beer trade going. No pressure here, just a thought. I can hook people up with good stuff from the midwest (ie Founders Breakfast Stout).

datrain711 - Left Hand's Milk Stout and Sam Smith's Nut Brown are both tasty beers for sure. I LOVE Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter though...grab it if you haven't had a chance yet.I get you when you talk about that one experience where you crave something and actually get it. That happened to me with O'Fallon's Pumpkin Ale. Just like pumpkin pie, but totally drinkable. It was an awesome flavor profile and really unexpected because I thought I'd be overwhelmed with nugmeg and cinnamon. Discount Liquor is a fantastic place, but I'd be surprised if they can get Dark Lord. The stuff is so rare and desired that the brewery holds a Dark Lord Day in April where they sell it at the brewery in Muncie, IN. I had it on tap at the Great Taste of the Midwest, but I'm ashamed to admit that I was so in the tank already that it didn't make as big of an impression as I think it would in any other situation.

Tonight I got to sample a bunch of beers. They included:

-Kostritzer Schwarzbier (decent roasted malt flavor but too much European grassy taste, a la St Pauli Girl)

-Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald (an old standby, my favorite porter in the world)

-Hook and Ladder Backdraft Brown (a smooth, easy-drinking brown ale)

-Two Brothers Heavy Handed IPA (sweet orange citrus flavor, not too bitter for an IPA, hop acids do linger on tongue)

I came home with individual bottles of:

-Smuttynose IPA (had it before, loved its hoppy spiciness with pizza)

-Founders Red Rye

-Rogue Mocha Porter

-Two Brothers The Bitter End Pale Ale

I pop in here only every so often but a great local I've been enjoying lately is "White Lightning," an "American Wheat Beer" with strong citrus and spice notes from Speakeasy Brewing.

I went up to Seattle a couple weeks back and fell in love with Hale's Cream Ale. A quality sesh beer. I wish more American microbrewers made the stuff.

I must sound like a broken record constantly plugging the Tyranena Brewers Gone Wild beers, but the current one is a re-brew of Hop %#+%+ Imperial IPA, which they seem to re-issue every year or so. If you like hops you want this beer. Wish I had more to report, but beer pickings have been slim at my house lately.

I figured I'd throw in my two cents on the Great Dane. I love it. Some of their beers are pretty hit or miss, but I love going there for some pretty good beer and a reasonably priced meal. I loved the tri-pepper pilsner. I never saw it on the menu this summer, but I'd get it again. I've always liked their Texas Speed Bump APA (at least I think it was an APA, not an IPA) and their Emerald Isle Stout is a pretty good one if nothing on the seasonal menu sounds appealing. They did a red sour belgian style this summer which I didn't care for. The Isthmus raved about it, but I found it to be kind of watery and blah. The Grumpy Troll did a similar beer, but really seemed to nail it.

Finally, Knot Stock..good stuff. I've enjoyed everything I've tried by Furthermore. The pepper in there was really different, but appealing. It does just kind of tickle your throat and nose. Not overwhelming at all.

Okay, had the New Glarus Berliner Weiss. And this is the problem with not checking a beer's profile at BA before drinking. Waaaay too much like wine for my mouth. Very sour, and very tart. I'll have to make a mental note that I'm not a fan of the Berliner's. Just not my thing.

Had the Capital Autumnal Fire doppelbock. Whew, awesome stuff. Pretty complex, lots of good stuff floating around in there. I'm gonna have to get me some more doppel's, if they're all this good they may nudge Oktober's down on my favorite styles list. Really, really great, but risky considering it's high alcohol.

TooLiveBrew - I can tell already in my day or so of reading this thread that you know your stuff.

Actual conversation had at Portland Beer Festival . . .

---------------------------------------------------------

My Friend Matt: Who did you go see?

Me: Friend from the Brewers board. The one I brought beer to last time.

My Friend Matt: Oh yeah. How did he like that stuff? You had some Baron and Maritime Pacific in that.

Me: He went nuts for the Kona.

My Friend Matt: [PAUSE] [FUNNY LOOK] You can get that stuff at Safeway . . . .

Me: Yeah I know . . . he's from the midwest. You wanna hit Amnesia for a couple of growlers on the way home?

My Friend Matt: Sure, I know where we can pick up some Midnight Sun too . . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note . . .Georgetown Brewing here had a special "SuperChopper" version of their Copper Ale was so fantastic we bought a gallon of it.

And Hats.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2319/2907397024_892fdb319d.jpg

Beer snobs look away....

The "new original" Schlitz has arrived in Madison and I am all over it. Go for the gusto!

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

My Friend Matt: Oh yeah. How did he like that stuff? You had some Baron and Maritime Pacific in that.

Me: He went nuts for the Kona.

My Friend Matt: [PAUSE] [FUNNY LOOK] You can get that stuff at Safeway . . . .

Me: Yeah I know . . . he's from the midwest. You wanna hit Amnesia for a couple of growlers on the way home?

Yeah, well, I'd try to snarkily insult you if I didn't know you'd just come back around & show me up! I stand by my love of the Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale. Delicious. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think there are some websites that allow people to order bottles of beer to be delivered to their doorstep. I will be checking those out to see if Kona's available. Otherwise, as fstorm1 suggested, we could try to get some sort of beer trade going. No pressure here, just a thought. I can hook people up with good stuff from the midwest (ie Founders Breakfast Stout).

MOTB, if you (or anyone else) can provide some more info on beer-ordering websites, that'd be a great addition to this discussion. I hadn't heard of that before. In any event, I think a beer trade is a great idea... I've thought about that possibility before, but just assumed the shipping would be problematic. I'm game if others are, though.

It's funny, because three breweries that I think, 'Man, I wish I could get some _____, now that I no longer live in WI", are New Glarus, Capitol, & Sprecher. Never realized I took them for granted, but I suppose that's part of the definition of doing so. Honestly, I'm pretty curious to try the 'new' old Schlitz brew. Maybe word will spread and it'll catch on as a 'cool' hipster beer, a la PBR. PBR is the 'it' swill beer out here in Portland.

Working as a doorman at the Dane allowed you to drink free beer though, right? If so, I think I could be convinced to do it in my sparetime.

Occasionally, yes. It all depended on which bartenders were working. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif The Madison BF.net softballers can attest that some nights when we went to the Dane after our game (they were our initial sponsor), the pitchers would just keep coming free of charge. Worst-case scenario in general would be paying the insanely cheap employee price. I think it was like a buck for an imperial pint (bell-top glass), and I really only would ever pay like $3.00 for a growler refill. Yes, $3.00. That was awesome, since I literally lived next door at the time.

Just an FYI for anyone in the waukesha area...the guy at discount pretty much said that he'll order anything that is on their distribution list if people request it. So next up for me to try will be Hitachino Nest White Ale and Dark Lord Imperial Stout

That's awesome, datrain. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder Discount Liquor is already a great spot. You/others should check to see what kinds of brews he could get. Might help people a lot with the 'I wish I could try these' talk in the thread. I'm curious just in general to know how easy/hard it is for a WI store to get stuff from west of the Rockies, east of the Ohio River Valley, and below the Mason-Dixon line. It would be really cool if Discout can relatively easily get ahold of some of the harder-to-find brews in this thread.

That's awesome, datrain. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder Discount Liquor is already a great spot. You/others should check to see what kinds of brews he could get. Might help people a lot with the 'I wish I could try these' talk in the thread. I'm curious just in general to know how easy/hard it is for a WI store to get stuff from west of the Rockies, east of the Ohio River Valley, and below the Mason-Dixon line. It would be really cool if Discout can relatively easily get ahold of some of the harder-to-find brews in this thread.

I have only in the past few years become "obsessed" with all the different kinds of beer out there, so I'm pretty far behind some of you more seasoned veterans http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif If there are any specific beers that you or anybody here would like me to see if they can get, i'm happy to do it.

I love this thread.

Well, got my hands on the Trois Pistoles and the La Fin Du Monde...at Woodman's. Bit of a surprise when I was looking at their selection. Tried the Trois Friday night. Pretty good, good sweetness, although the carbonation and the "wine-iness" of it dropped it a touch for me. Don't know when I'll hit the La Fin, as I also scored single bottles of Staghorn, a wheat that I had seen dozens of times and incorrectly thought I'd tried (Widmer, 2008 gold medal winner at the World Beer Fest), Berghoff's Oktober, Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale, and a Sand Creek Golden Ale. Itching to try the Staghorn and the Berghoff.

Oh, and also scored two more sixer's of DaMan. That's seven total in the cellar...that'll hopefully hold me till next summer. If anyone is still looking for DaMan, the Woodman's in Appleton had a boatload plus a couple of cases.

Forgot to mention that I whipped out the Chili Beer for my step father on Friday. Oh, my. Yikes. I've been trying not to look up a beer's grade before I drink it, see how I match up with the masses, but this is one of those cases where it would've saved me. Absolutely awful. A cheap macro with a horrendously over powerful hotness. I could see throwing in some pepper or something, for a little spice, but this was ridiculous. After the second sip, I literally felt nauseous. I like beer, I like hot peppers. Just not this mix.

And I cracked the Staghorn for the Packers game yesterday. I was surprised by how mellow the tastes were. Much lighter than expected. Good stuff, but I still think the Capital Oktober is better.

While I like a very good, high-quality, ice-cold beer I have fallen prey to the Bud Light Lime lately. I can't seem to keep it in the fridge lately.

Well, I'll happily rip Bud for anything they make, but I will say I have yet to try the Lime. Maybe I'll break down and grab one for my next sixer.

Dopplebocks are already flowing, in October? fstorm, try Sprecher's Dopplebock when you have a chance, but if you work the next day, don't have more than two, and be sure to read the label. Monks sure did know how to work around lenten sacrifices http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

If you haven't tried the original formula Schlitz, be sure to do so. The old formula reminds me of a lot of old or classic beers, before the microbrew craze in the late 80s/early 90s, a taste that you don't find much anymore. Sadly, it is probably out of EDR's reach, who would kindly remind us we don't know what we're talking about when we're talking about (and drinking) good beer http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. If nothing else, I'm happy to see this thread caused you to come out of your deep, deep hole.

SO not as into as you all, so I can't describe beers the "proper" way, but I really like the beers out of Abita Brewery - Abita Springs, LA - it's a bit outside of New Orleans and it's pretty much what I drank the entire time I lived there.

They have a beer called Purple Haze which is similar to Berry Weiss, but without the in-your-face berry taste. It's a bit more smoothly mixed and therefore you don't feel like you have that separation of tastes - one part beer, one part berry juice - that you get with Leinie's.

As for Tours - when I have people in town, I take them to Miller. It's got the touristy bit down and if you're looking to see sheer volume, that's the tour.

The tour itself at Sprecher is kinda hokey and cheesy - the guy we had in August was SO rehearsed - but you're very close and you have the chance to ask lots of questions and it seemed he knew his stuff.

I recommend the Sprecher tour for the tastings - you get 4 tickets and they had about 8 choices of beers. There were a couple of specialties, including a few you can only buy in growler there on site. You also get a free tasting glass. The sodas are also all you can drink.

Archived