Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew
Anyone try the rebirth of the 1960's Schlitz recipe they just released in bottles? I want to try it, wondering if anyone has yet and can say if it was any good?

Yes. And yes you should try it. You know what..its not bad. I think I prefer it to the other major domestics. I actually is pretty good.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really enjoy Shiner. I've liked all their styles that I've tried so far.

It is excellent beer. Where are you getting it? I thought it was only available in Texas and a few selected retailers outside of Texas.

On a different note, I bought some Leinie's Sunset Wheat. Definitely not what I expected. I'm still unsure if I like it. It has a sweetish aftertaste, and I am not so sure of that flavor in my beer. So, I'll get my standby the next time I need some beer. Shiner Light. MMMMMM.

After a Friday night (!!!), this was the last thread on page 3... practically on page 4, which is 1/5th of the way to page 20! I'm contacting BtA to request that he ban everyone. A week between posts... embarassing! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

So I picked up a sixer of Spaten last night. Hadn't had any since leaving Madison (Essen Haus... mmmm), and really was looking for a different beer from what is normally available (lots of ales, namely pale ales out here). I really like Spaten, and was excited to pop the cap off my first bottle, when I noticed the fine print in the upper RH corner of the label: "Malt Liquor"

Whu?! Really? I was speechless... good thing I was home by myself.

A quick Google serach turns up a relevant discussion from a Beer forum:

--Lead post:

in microscopic letters, "MALT LIQUOR" in the upper right corner of the label

1) Why don't they want you to know it's a malt liquor

2) Why isn't the alcohol content anywhere on the label

3) Isn't its aroma strongly reminiscent of bubble gum

--Response 1:

1) Malt Liquor is a legal term for certain US states - anything above a certain ABV percentage. It has nothing to do with a bull or paper bag, and all beers must state it on their labels to be sold in these states.

2) The US doesn't require alcohol levels to be present on beer labels.

3) Bubble gum? Are you sure you aren't drinking a Bavarian Hefeweizen? If your Spaten premium, a Munich Helles style, is smelling like bubble gum - you've probably purchased a very old or mislabeled bottle. Spaten premium always smells very much like toasted malt and melanoidin characetristics (from decoction mashing) with slight hallertauer back.

--Response 2:

From the Spaten USA web site:

Spaten Premium Lager

This beer is our speciality. In 1894 Spaten became the first brewery in Munich to produce this brand of light lager.

Flavor profile: Golden in color with a well-balanced hop-flavor. The full rounded body is a superb balance between hops and a malty sweetness.

Original gravity: 11.7 %

Alcohol content: 5.2 %

Interesting stuff. Makes me happy -- I thought I should've just gone back to plunk down a buck for some O.E. Oh, and the beer is delicious. Probably going to go with Spaten's Optimator next time (B+ at beeradvocate; 93% at ratebeer).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Central Waters (Amherst WI) has a couple new beers out - Glacial Trail IPA and Whitewater Weizen. Both fit their style well - the Weizen is light and refreshing, the IPA is well hopped, but not overpowering.
Haven't had the IPA (my least favorite style), but I've had the Hefe (my favorite style), and found it disappointing. The majority like it at BA, but I don't think it's anywhere near the "bests". I've had three or four of the Central Waters' brews, and found all of them, at best, below average. I will, however, give the Hefe another try.

The only new one I have to report on is the Viking Brewery's Big Swede Stout, a Swedish Imperial Stout. I bought it only because my friend's dad calls himself "Big Swede."

Complex, rich and very heavy on the alcohol. One at a time is definitely enough. You could really taste and feel the alcohol in it. Pretty good Imperial Stout, I'll have to try some of their other beers. I'm ashamed it took so long to try a Wisconsin brewed beer, as I drink almost exclusively Wisconsin beer (with a big exception for Bell's out of Michigan). I still have to try some Central Waters beer.

The only new one I have to report on is the Viking Brewery's Big Swede Stout, a Swedish Imperial Stout. I bought it only because my friend's dad calls himself "Big Swede."

Complex, rich and very heavy on the alcohol. One at a time is definitely enough. You could really taste and feel the alcohol in it. Pretty good Imperial Stout.

That's interesting. Usually a stout wouldn't have a very high alcohol content - but I know Imperials are stronger. They must add sugars or double-ferment. It is still sweet or a little bitter? Is it really a malty roasted flavor?

Just got back home (6:20p local time) to have some dinner. Was down at the Brewers Festival since lunchtime. Had outstanding Gryos, and later a delicious grilled salmon pita sandwich. Didn't have a bad beer all afternoon. Time to rest up, have some grub, and see if we'd be up to heading back.

Ran into three random Brewers fans (I was the guy in the grubby Atlanta cap, if you post here). One guy from Milwaukee, a woman from Wisconsin (Madison iirc) & a guy with family from Milwaukee that just 'liked the Brewers'. Also met up with EDR (who the gf wants to call Edgar Renteria Rocks), & had to thank him for tipping us off about the mug/tokens deal.

Pretty wiped, as I hit the bars last night, so my morning felt even earlier. At worst I'm going back tomorrow, maybe tonight.

Obviously you didn't try the Roots Calypso (Wheat beer with apricot and scotch bonnet peppers)then.

Oooh, I so want one of those.

For those planning on attending the State Fair, Benno's Big Top Microbrew Tent will feature "30+ flavors on tap". Apparently they've been there in the past doing the same thing, but I, being the ever watchful fellow that I am, have never see them...even though I've been to the Fair nearly every year for the last 15+ years.

Speaking of things not seen: I still haven't found the Dancing Man Wheat anywhere. Apparently this is my Grolsch Blonde. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

fstorm1 wrote:

Speaking of things not seen: I still haven't found the Dancing Man Wheat anywhere. Apparently this is my Grolsch Blonde.

Just saw the Dancing Man Wheat. If it is in my area, I doubt it will be long before it starts showing up in the Oshkosh/Appleton area. I am looking for Jack Wacker and New Schlitz still. I can get the Jack Wacker, but I really don't want to buy a 12 - pack and pay $14 for 2 of the Jack Wacker and 10 other beers I have no interest in.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I admit I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm willing to share.

It was 7 years ago. Before a game at The Keg, we took the Miller tour. But it was 97 outside, and, we were told, 117 or so in the hops or barley room, so it would be a short tour. But Miller apparently distributes Leinenkugel's, and the guide offered us an extra round at the taste, afterward. He mixed Honey Weiss with Berry Weiss, and my drinking habits have never been the same.

To be polite, I'll take a few sips of 312, or a Lakeside...and once in a blue moon, I'll drink a Blue Moon. But if I'm at home, it's HoneyBerry's or nothing.

Anyone else?

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I admit I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm willing to share.

Gosh, so lazy... not wanting to read 24+ pages of posts?! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Anyone else?

I can't stand Berry Weiss. Just my personal tastes. I'll admit I've never tried it with Honey Weiss (which I like, but don't love). GSP, I think you might like Leinie's Sunset Wheat (B- (B from the gurus) at beeradvocate.com). I've always felt it has a hint of blueberry taste to it.

My favorite Leinenkugels beer is the Creamy Dark. It's been discussed in the thread already, and I really think it's one of the most overlooked/underrated beers out there. It's nowhere near as overwhelming as the name suggests. Very drinkable.

Just saw the Dancing Man Wheat. If it is in my area, I doubt it will be long before it starts showing up in the Oshkosh/Appleton area. I am looking for Jack Wacker and New Schlitz still. I can get the Jack Wacker, but I really don't want to buy a 12 - pack and pay $14 for 2 of the Jack Wacker and 10 other beers I have no interest in.
Well, Friday I finally returned to the nice liquor ladies' store after many weeks. The last few times I had been in there, she wasn't, and/or her selection in the build-your-own cooler was more or less exactly the same. I realize she doesn't have the selection and overhead to put that much into it, so I just go over to take a peak and pick up a sixer of whatever I'm in the mood for (in this case, Franzsikaner). Anyhoo, she was there, recommended a couple new ones she had gotten in (including a very odd wheat, Horny Goat). I of course took the opportunity to ask if she remembered the Dancing Man Wheat. She hadn't, but while I went back to the cooler, she called her distributor, and she'll have it in on Wednesday.

Of course, I got bored today, and decided to trek into Appleton to Flanagan's, and sure enough, they already had it, and had available in single bottle form...after I asked. They have an absolutely huge selection of beers for building a sixer, but the one I ended up leaving with, all 6 of which were wheats, ended up costing me $14+. Still don't think I'll be going there for my regular hookup, that'll still be Festival or Ridgeway, but once in awhile, sure, why not.

Logan, I've had the Jack Whacker, and I got it via the build route. Almost positive I got mine from Festival.

And, just to bring a tear to my eye...while I was checking out at Flanagan's, there, in the cooler right behind the counter: Grolsch Blonde. I, of course, then regaled my nice lady friend with the story of the "search for the elusive Blonde".

She thought we were all nuts. Pffftp. Simpleton. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Oh, and speaking of Leinie's (count me among those that thinks Berry Weiss is to berry-y, that Summer Shandy is too lemony, that Sunset Wheat is okay, that Honey Weiss is okay, but that neither of those "wheats" taste, look, smell, or feel anything like a wheat), I see that they finally bailed on the Apple Spice, and are now going to role out "Fireside Nut Brown Ale".

Archived