Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew

Boy, seems like forever and a day since I posted in this thread. Last weekend I spent with the future in-laws/relatives, and as I've mentioned before, it was time for a sixer to be handed to a number of them. Went with the H.P. Dark Weisse, Franziskaner, O'so's The Big O, Full Moon's Honey Moon, J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown Lager, and one of the Lakefront Pumpkins' (which I have still yet to try) I got for free from my nice Liquor lady friend. I took along one sixer for myself, which was good because all they had to drink there was Honey Weiss and Sam Adams. I like Honey Weiss enough, but as a true wheat beer, it's disappointing. And Sam Adams? I've had, me thinks, 2 good beers from them, and one was a Longshot (Weizenbock). (I wholeheartedley concur with the Cherry Wheat assessment: yeeeeeeee-uuuuck) Anyhoo, I spent the weekend drinking my stuff and off setting that with some Honey as well. I don't think any of the three fellows I brought sixers for even cracked one open while I was there. Oh, well.

Hadn't had a reason to buy any beer, or see the nice Liquor Lady for a while, what with all I bought in the weeks before last, but tonight finally got around to trying something, Tyranena's Shantytown Doppelbock. As I recall, Tyranena has been mentioned in this thread before (sorry, too lazy to go searching), but honestly, I can tell you that I had yet to have anything from them that was good, and I believe the count was up to I think 4 or 5 different brews (again, too lazy to search my records). And couple that with the fact that darks are not among my favorite styles. But boy, this was a very, very tasty beer. Very impressed. Might be the best "dark" I've ever had.

Oh, and tell me if I've become a beer snob: attended last night's Green Bay Blizzard Arena Football game, and as I walked around looking for something to quench my thirst, I bought a...Hoegaarden Belgian White.

At a football game.

For $6.

And when I was done, I went back for another. But they were sold out. So I had to go to Miller Lite.

And I was sad.

Is that wrong?

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and tell me if I've become a beer snob: attended last night's Green Bay Blizzard Arena Football game, and as I walked around looking for something to quench my thirst, I bought a...Hoegaarden Belgian White.

At a football game.

For $6.

And when I was done, I went back for another. But they were sold out. So I had to go to Miller Lite.

And I was sad.

Is that wrong?

No. This is a part of your beervolution. Embrace it. You are a full-fledged snob. It's time to celebrate! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just got the HP Dark Weiss last weekend. I liked it. Not sure if I like it better than the original Weisse, but it is nice to add another beer to my repertoire. I like to have a few different beers to keep around as staples when I am trying new beers.

I liked the Honey Moon Summer Ale even though I don't like Blue Moon.

BTW, I went to a Brewers game with my brother, oldest son, and father in law and my brother told my father in law I was a beer snob. I was a little upset for about a second, then I just sort of nodded my head.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Edit: As a side note, my brother and I are having no luck whatsoever finding Brewers pints. Oh well, I guess it was not meant to be.

I saw 4 versions of them two weeks ago at Paradise Liquor in Madison on Hwy PD/Muirfield Rd. They had them on a Miller display.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

burniebrewer wrote

I saw 4 versions of them two weeks ago at Paradise Liquor in Madison on Hwy PD/Muirfield Rd. They had them on a Miller display.

Thanks for the tip Burnie.

I blame Wang.

I have a sales job that has me going into multiple liquor stores throughout the day. I currently have 3 extra of the 1994-1999 logo glasses(the logo that I consider the worst) if anyone wants one of those I am in the Milwaukee area and we could meet up and it's yours, otherwise I'm sure we could figure something out for shipping. As far as the other ones go, let me know what you guys may need and I am sure I can find them.

Picked up an organic brew tonight, the Deschutes Green Lakes Organic Ale. The first impression is very good -- I have to admit I'm a tad surprised. This beer won the Gold Medal for Amber Ale at the 2008 World Beer Championships, so I'm not alone in finding it delicious. Beeradvocate.com gives it a B+.

Strong amber ale, slightly resembles a nut brown ale. Lots of head on the pour, with a smooth flavor. Aftertase is strong, but no more than you'd expect from a bold amber. 5.2% ABV. This is a beer I will buy many times over.

Oh, also wanted to point out (namely to EDR/FtJ) that Deschutes opened a brew pub in the Pearl District in May. I've been once (last weekend), and it was enjoyable. Great to have their awesome brews not only on tap, but brewed on-site. Food is a tad overpriced -- but hey, it wouldn't be the Pearl if that wasn't the case!

Just thought I'd add that, for the folks in the Fox Valley area, Antler's Sports Bar and Grill near Larsen (15 -20 minute drive from Appleton) has the glasses available. $5 get's you the glass filled with Lite, I believe.

Also thought I'd add that I finally got around to trying the Lakefront Pumpkin Lager that I had gotten for free from the nice Liquor Lady. And I'll be doggone if it wasn't good stuff. Not too pumpkiny, but the "spices" were prefect (thought maybe cinnamon or nutmeg). And this from a seasonal beer that had probably been sitting for a few months. Look forward to picking some up in the fall.

Also thought I'd add that I finally got around to trying the Lakefront Pumpkin Lager that I had gotten for free from the nice Liquor Lady. And I'll be doggone if it wasn't good stuff.

I know -- there's a Pumpkin Lager out here on the west coast that I tried bc it was on sale last fall. I tried it expecting to not like it, and though it wasn't one of my favorites, it was pretty darn good. "Pumpkin" just doesn't sound like it'd be good for beer, but then again it doesn't sound like it'd be good for pie, either (I kinda feel the same way about pumpkin pie -- good, but not a favorite... give me rhubarb any day!)

I saw fstorm's liquor lady earlier today. She doesn't quite look like TLB's picture though. I was pretty impressed with their selection at Ridgeway Liquor since it was about the size as a bait shop. There seemed to be a whole section of wheat beer in the cooler. I made my own 6 pack there and I didn't have to think to hard on how to fill it out like I have other places. Flying Dog Wheat, Point Naked Beach, Franziskaner Hefe, Spaten Optimater, DosEquis Amber, and a Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale, which I hope my wife drinks.

I blame Wang.

I saw fstorm's liquor lady earlier today. She doesn't quite look like TLB's picture though. I was pretty impressed with their selection at Ridgeway Liquor since it was about the size as a bait shop. There seemed to be a whole section of wheat beer in the cooler. I made my own 6 pack there and I didn't have to think to hard on how to fill it out like I have other places. Flying Dog Wheat, Point Naked Beach, Franziskaner Hefe, Spaten Optimater, DosEquis Amber, and a Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale, which I hope my wife drinks.
Not that I'm boasting, but I like th think I had something to do with that wheat section. Guess I'll have to swing in tomorrow.

The In Heat Wheat, Naked Beach and Franziskaner are all dandies. Each fits nicely in my top 5. Haven't had the optimizer yet, saw it in there last time I stopped. Prolly pick one up tomorrow. The Blue Moon Pumpkin is nowhere near as good as the Lakefront. But that's the only decent Lakefront I've had, whereas Blue Moon has a bunch of good ones.

I drank the Naked Wheat out of the bottle. Rookie mistake, wheats should always be poured in a glass. I poured the In Heat Wheat and it was pretty good.

I blame Wang.

The beers at CBI/Essen Haus are really second to none in Madison... if only bc you can't get them anywhere else. Great Dane has great beers, and should not be dismissed lightly, but there really isn't anywhere else like the EH/CBI when it comes to beer selection & quality.

Oh, and btw, Spaten Optimator > You, me, or Dupree.

Third page again for this thread. Whew. Almost lost her to oblivion...

Anyhoo, finally had a chance to get out and pick up a couple of 6ers, one from my nice Liquor Lady (whose build-your-own cooler needs some serious updating-hadn't been there in weeks and I swear it had all the same things as last time), and one from Festival, just 'cause. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif The selection at Festival was absolutely awesome, filled with a a load of summer brews I'd been hoping to try. Since I went to the Liq Lady first, and she didn't have any available in the build cooler, I picked up an entire six pack of Bell's Oberon Ale, based simply off it's BA score (naturally, they had it available singlely at Festival, but I digress). I managed a bottle of Sam Adams Summer Ale from Festival, and these are the first two I had. And yet again, a small little brewery puts Adams to shame. Both are American Wheat Ale's, and both feature lemon, but that's where the similarities end. Oberon is so much better, it's ridiculous. Highly, highly recommend it.

Looking forward to the next few nights, as I also procured Capital's Prairie Gold (mmm, Capital), Redhook's Sunrye (don't think I've had a rye beer yet), and, for my nice lady friend, New Holland's Red Tulip Ale, cause she likes tulips, and I like her. And I grabbed a Spaten Optimator, as well.

God, I love summer. This is why I think the good folks who put on Hops 'n Props need to do a summer version...there's just waaaaay too many great beers this time of year. Of course, I am still waiting on the Dancing Man. Geez, at this point, it better taste like liquid sex to live up to my expectations.

Wish I could bottle that. Actually I think they have...it's called Hacker Pschorr. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I am looking forward to Hops and Props next year. I have already set up a sitter and made plans to attend.

Edit: TLB added a beer tag to easily find this thread without having to search.

I blame Wang.

is anyone going to the Midwest Beer Taster festival in Madison in August? I've never been but apparently its a pretty big deal. Between a Mallards game in the duckblind, the beer fest and Essen Haus, i'm going to be lucky to survive that weekend.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Again saving the thread from oblivion. Come on fellas, any beer news is good news!

As I mentioned in the Door County thread, the nice lady friend and I spent last weekend up there, and absolutely had to stop at Shipwrecked Brew Pub in Egg harbor. Very nice little brewing operation they have there, can watch as the "master" does his thing. They offered up 6 brews (search "Shipwrecked" at BA) this time, a porter (very good, even though not my favorite style), a cherry (naturally) wheat (very poor, and it is my favorite style), a light (really light, think Coors), two ales (a copper and a blonde...both okay), and the big winner, a Summer Wheat. Awesome. Just great, great beer. The banana smell was amazing, but the banana taste wasn't overpowering at all. It was perfectly balanced. They didn't have any in 6ers, so I bought a killer 1/2 gallon bottle. We finished that off before we left for home on Sunday.

Update on the brews I mentioned in my last post:

Capital's Prairie Gold: ehhh, okay, but not great.

Redhook's Sunrye: tasted almost exactly like a lager, very Miller High Life-ish

Also read that Miller is pushing back it's "official" nationwide rollout of their Miller Lite Brewers Collection beers. Sounded like maybe their test runs didn't turn out so hot.

fstorm1 wrote:

They didn't have any in 6ers, so I bought a killer 1/2 gallon bottle. We finished that off before we left for home on Sunday.

Do they call them growlers? I buy the same thing every time I go down to the Great Dane in Madison. I bring it back for refils, which are cheaper than buying a new growler every time. Mmmmm, Crop Circle Wheat.

I blame Wang.

Archived