Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew
For those of you who are Madisonians, the Great Dane has one of their best seasonal beers out right now...Drop Anchor Steam. Yum. Their best seasonal...Mallards Ale...will be out in a couple weeks, about the time when the Mallards take the field.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree 100% on the Drop Anchor Steam being one of their best. Agree -100% on the Mallards Ale being their best seasonal. Imho it's one of their weakest (literally & figuratively) brews. It's light, and goes well after a softball game, I'll grant that... but I just can't get on-board with loving it. I guess I should clarify that I don't think it's bad, or dislike it... I just think certain softball players wanted to marry it last summer! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

not sure if this is the drunk thread or just a beer thread...either way, blue uv, you're my enemy and my friend. I love to hate you...or some crap like that. weeeeeee

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif With a post like that, you should be welcomed in any thread!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Tried New Belgium's Springboard Ale. I probably agree with beeradvocate's 'B' grade. It's a blond ale (take that, Grolsch!) with a dry finish, limited aftertaste, & mild flavor. Worth the try, as it packs a punch for a light-looking beer -- 6.2% ABV. This seems like a beer that'd be great for a hot summer day of outdoors-ness (ie grilling).

I bought some Springboard Ale and 1554 Ale last week. I only had one of each and am nursing a bit of a cold, but both were a bit underwhelming. I liked the 1554 a bit more than the Springboard. The Springboard is wood-aged, but seemed to lack flavoring from it. I'll try them again when my taste buds are at full strength.

So, I've heard from a buddy in Milwaukee that Schlitz is going back to their recipe that made it famous all those years ago. Has anyone tried it yet?

Also, for the weekend I've picked up the Philadelphia Brewing Co.'s Rowhouse Red Ale. After it chills for a couple hours I'll provide an update on this latest sampling.

I'm drinking the Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop Ale as I type this. The idea is the brewery has their own hop farm and they brew a batch of beers with fresh hops from their own farm as they come into season. Well, this time of year, hops are fresh in the southern hemisphere, so they shipped some in to do it. Not bad. It's hoppy and bitter, but not the best hop heavy ale I've had. Neat idea though.

That said, my wife went to the game tonight without me, so I think I'll clear out the beer fridge tonight and give further updates on what I drink from there.

Edit: Just opened up the Tyranena Brewers Gone Wild Devil Over A Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Coffee Porter Aged in Bourbon Barrels. Whew, long title. The coffee smell is huge...I could just sit here and sniff it. The coffee taste is there as well and the bourbon barrel aging taste is pretty mild. Outstanding. For my money, Tyranena is the best brewery in the state. It's going to be hard for me to drink something other than this tonight.

Color me happy. A new liquor store moved into a spot about a mile from my house, and sure enough, they have their own "Build-your-own-six-pack" feature. Veeeeery nice. So nice in fact that I ended up chatting with the owner for a solid 1/2 hour about what beer's I like, what I'd like to try, and whether she could get them. I mentioned that I had looked forward to trying the Point's Horizon Wheat and Nude Beach Summer Wheat, two new ones, and New Glarus' Dancing Man Wheat, which, as I've mentioned, I still can't find (it's my version of the Grolsch Blond that eluded us for so long). She writes them down and asks if there's anything else I would like to see her carry. Being of sound mind, a very wheaty mind, I mention Hacker's Weisse Dark and Franziskaner. She writes them down and says she'd have them in a couple days. Coolness. So, I go back in a couple days later, sure enough, she remembers me, says that she had gotten most of them in and they're back in the cooler. She had the Horizon, the Hacker, and the Franziskaner, but said the Nude Beach and Dancing would be in a couple more days. So, even though I still had 4 left from the previous sixer I had built at her place, and I still had four from my most recent trip to Festival, I still went back and made another. But only after I asked if I could bust up the Horizon sixer as I wanted to try it first. She says "Sure, break anything back there you want, just stick the rest in the single bottle cooler".

Hmmm, whassat?

I went back in the cooler, my eyes bugging out a bit...was she serious? She comes into the cooler 2 seconds later and I asked if she was serious. She said yes, as long as the price isn't too high, like say the Weisse Dark. "So what would you like"? Well, we broke up 4 sixers, and she recommended a couples others, namely a Spotted Cow competitor from Plover's O'so Brewing Company, "The Big O" (doesn't even have a page at BA yet-but it will soon http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif ). Long story, sorry, but it's great to have someone actually listen to the customer once in a while.

'Course, now I have more beer than I know what to do with. And this is a good problem.

Where is this liquor store? I am assuming in Oshkosh. I will be up that way next weekend for a wedding.
Actually it's in Neenah, on State Rd 76, Ridgeway Liquor (site isn't completely updated). Right now they have a promotion that if you buy a case of High Life or Lite (in cans), you get a free Brewers' pint glass. They have several to choose from.

I've been meaning to jump in this thread for a while now...lots of really great microbrews in Northern California (man oh man do I miss New Glarus and Bell's out here though, among others). I don't want to repeat anyone and I've only read pages 12-20 though, so I'll refrain and merely ask if anyone knows what brewery Braunie's mother works at?

Is it one of the big dogs, or a place like Gordon Biersch, or is she a hobbyist? They always mention she's a brewer during the games (esp. away crews) but never say where.

I mentioned that I had looked forward to trying the Point's Horizon Wheat and Nude Beach Summer Wheat, two new ones, and New Glarus' Dancing Man Wheat, which, as I've mentioned, I still can't find (it's my version of the Grolsch Blond that eluded us for so long). She writes them down and asks if there's anything else I would like to see her carry. Being of sound mind, a very wheaty mind, I mention Hacker's Weisse Dark and Franziskaner. She writes them down and says she'd have them in a couple days. Coolness. So, I go back in a couple days later, sure enough, she remembers me, says that she had gotten most of them in and they're back in the cooler... She says "Sure, break anything back there you want, just stick the rest in the single bottle cooler".

Holy... moly. You've scored yourself one heckuva spot there, fstorm. Even better is that you've familiarized yourself with the owner. To be able to almost literally go in & order any beer.... mmmmm. Seriously, not only was she willing to help you out -- she now knows for sure that you know your stuff, and imo would likely be very inclined to trusting any future recommendations/requests from you as well.

So is water

Sorry, craig -- I was trying to be "funny" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

I've been meaning to jump in this thread for a while now...lots of really great microbrews in Northern California (man oh man do I miss New Glarus and Bell's out here though, among others). I don't want to repeat anyone and I've only read pages 12-20 though, so I'll refrain and merely ask if anyone knows what brewery Braunie's mother works at?

Is it one of the big dogs, or a place like Gordon Biersch, or is she a hobbyist? They always mention she's a brewer during the games (esp. away crews) but never say where.

I think they don't mention which one because, well, I'll give you a hint...she helps make beer that's clear and therefore imperfection-free.

In other beer-related "news," just got my collection up to the big 5-0 with a bottle of Beck's (I can't believe I had never had it before...pretty good!). Only two more until I pass my father.

Beck's is quite good. Try some of the other German imports -- you'll rarely find a weak choice. Spaten is one brewery to trust (among many)

Agree with Spaten...the Optimator helped ease the intense pain of a certain NFC Championship game.

i dont know if its been mentioned before but another good micro is mendocino brewing company. the ales and such have names that have to do with birds..red tail ale..ect. its been a while since i`ve had one, but they always bring back memories of livin' in cali in the 90s.

i haven`t been drinking much myself lately and what i have been drinking is home brew. the latest (and perhaps the greatest to date) is an american wheat style that i used saaz hops with just a touch of northern brewer. its kinda a nod to bell's oberon but with some caramel hints added. i highly recomend home brewing to anyone that loves beer. its rather simple, and imo is much better than store bought.

i dont know if its been mentioned before but another good micro is mendocino brewing company. the ales and such have names that have to do with birds..red tail ale..ect. its been a while since i`ve had one, but they always bring back memories of livin' in cali in the 90s.

Oooohhhh -- I know what you're talking about. Thanks for the tip! The bird clue got it for me. I'll be sure to try some soon... I'll post about the ones I do get to. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I could be your last resort on the Pyramid (Portland, OR) quest, logan. Not sure how we'd work that out, but I can go buy that beer at the grocery store across the street from my apt.

I saw Pyramid HefeWeiss, Crystal Weiss and Apricot at our grocery store. Not the Amber though. If I am seeing the others around where I live I should be able to pick some up on a trip to Madison. Thanks for the offer.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived