Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew
fstorm1,

I stole your idea. From now on when we have a family get together everybody has to bring a 6-pack of beer. We can't bring the same beer that has been brought by anybody else previously.

Not a problem. Good ideas should be shared...like beer, for example. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Also if anyone is interested the NE Wisconsin beerfest is April 5th I believe at Tornado's in Grand Chute.
The info I got, from Hops and Props, was it'll be at The Wave Bar and Ballroom. Is that what they're calling Tornado's these days? Anyhoo, the number for tickets is 1-800-261-BEER.

Sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't read through the whole thread, in the Fox Valley this is the place to find good beers.

http://www.flanagansstopandshop.com/index.php

I believe this is the place I used to go to to find Spotted Cow, when I was living just off College Ave., back in '01-ish. Man, that's weird now that I think about it. Nobody carried it at the time. Did anyone read the nice article on New Glarus in the Journal a week or so back?

Crafted with success.

Oh, and a quick look at the "beer list" for Flanagan's shows...Grolsch Blond. Worth the extra mileage? I'd do it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

If memory serves, they (Flanagan's) don't have the "Build-Your-Own-Six-Pack" feature, ala Festival and World Market. Kinda sad, really, as I think all beer selling establishments should have that.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will join in the search for the blond(e?). If it's in the Fond du Lac area this forum will know about it.

I do know the new Festival Foods here has a pretty big beer selection. They even have Japanese beer. That would be the first place I would; and will, check.

3TO Apostle

I simply cannot allow this thread to drop any further (currently all the way on page 3 of the board). So, I will simply say that tonight I finally had a Paulaner Hefe Weizen Natural Wheat. Spectacular. It rivals both Hacker and my other "perfect" hefe, Franziskaner.

Thank god it's finally spring. The Festival in Oshkosh had 4 wheats available in the "Build-your-own-Six Pack" area. Treated myself to a Hacker and Lefthand Wheat, 2 greats. And then threw in the Paulaner.

http://quotes4all.net/homer_simpson_beer.gif

Mmmmmm, wheeeeeat.

Oh and, while digging around tonight, I found a second "complimentary gift" that I had gotten at "Hops and Props"...a free one year subscription to "The Beer Enthusiast's Draft Magazine". I already sent one in for me, anyone want this one?

Brewtacular[/b]]mmmm Murphys.... Is there anything more awesomer than watching a dark beer settle in the glass?

Yep. Drinking said glass of beer. I am enjoying another fresh tapped beer from my latest Heineken mini-keg. Yum, yum.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

It's on Hwy 21 (Omro exit) , the last one before you go over Lake Butte Des Morts. Get off and head west. It's right next to Menard's.
Thank you. I know where Menards is. I actually think I have seen that Festival foods before. For some raeson Festival Foods didn't click. If I am not mistaken there is also a Culvers and Blockbuster right there as well. If this weather keeps up I doubt I will get up there this weekend.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

In an attempt to keep this great thread from falling into the depths that are page 3+ I am asking everybody

When is the last time you drank a Miller, Coors, or Bud product? I am talking about their main lines and not the microbrews or other breweries that they might own(for example Linnie's is owned by Miller, but I wouldn't consider it part of their main product line). I am not sure the last time I had someting like that. I would guess it was a Miller Lite and would have been around the middle of last summer while boiling brats. Had a little left after pouring it in to boil them.

I blame Wang.

In an attempt to keep this great thread from falling into the depths that are page 3+ I am asking everybody

When is the last time you drank a Miller, Coors, or Bud product? I am talking about their main lines and not the microbrews or other breweries that they might own(for example Linnie's is owned by Miller, but I wouldn't consider it part of their main product line). I am not sure the last time I had someting like that. I would guess it was a Miller Lite and would have been around the middle of last summer while boiling brats. Had a little left after pouring it in to boil them.

As a poor college student, my answer is "quite often." I even had a few Miller Lites watching the Badger game today.

When my friend and I go on beer runs for small-ish get togethers, our formula is usually a case of something Miller and a sixer or two of "something good", so I do (somewhat unfortunately) partake in the drinking of the Big 3 (although mainly Miller) beers.

wisconsinfan47 wrote:

As a poor college student, my answer is "quite often." I even had a few Miller Lites watching the Badger game today.When my friend and I go on beer runs for small-ish get togethers, our formula is usually a case of something Miller and a sixer or two of "something good", so I do (somewhat unfortunately) partake in the drinking of the Big 3 (although mainly Miller) beers.

I no longer drink more than 2-3 at a time(usually one) so I drink something a little more expensive. We used to drink PBR because it was cheap, so I understand where you are coming from. Miller Lite or Honey Weiss was the typical pitchers we woudl buy. Our first stop would be to get a Hacker Pschorr at the first bar(thick beer, very filling) an then on to Lite the rest of the night.

I blame Wang.

High Life and Spotted Cow are my "regulars", I tend to have one or both of those in the fridge at all times. When I'm trying out a new brew, I only buy one. After the first beer, my sense of taste and smell are no longer good enough to really size up another new brew. One new one per night (or so), then, back to the basics, if I want another at all.

As a poor college student, my answer is "quite often." I even had a few Miller Lites watching the Badger game today.

My how the standard of living has raised. "Poor college students" in my time drank Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, Hamm's, and Busch Light in case returnables.

Yeah, count me among those that don't like it. Way too much lemon, and not enough wheat for me. Coincidentally, just yesterday I had a wheat ale, made with lemon, that was almost perfect: Jack Whacker Wheat Ale. The lemon flavor was spot on, and it had all the "necessary" wheat characteristics...except it also, like the Shandy, skimped on the wheat. Still better than Shandy.

I'm generally a pretty big fan of Leinie's (enjoyed their tour 3 times now), but they missed badly with both the Sunset and the Shandy.

Also, like to mention that this evening I finally had a decent Sam Adams...and it wasn't even one of their own: Longshot Weizenbock. And that extra alcohol content? Sure helped take the sting off the Badgers game. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Allagash Barrel-Aged Curieux

http://www.allagash.com/curieux.htm

Had some for the first time the other night, and this is hands down the most extraordinary beer I have tasted in a long, long time... the hint of bourbon and the other flavors - not to mention the alcohol content - make it something that has an immediate effect on you...

Holy moley, dropped all the way to the 4th page. I simply cannot allow that. So, I shall drink and post. Got mighty excited on Wednesday (which is turning in to my regular beer buying day) when I strolled into Festival and saw...Unplugged Imperial Weizen. Pretty sure I giggled like a school girl, but the nice lady working the liquor department either a) didn't hear me, or b) is used to grown men giggling while looking at booze. I had heard lots of nice things about it, I'm a big fan of the fine work the Carey's are doing in New Glarus (my next beer tour road trip), and wheats are, obviously, my favorites.

Ridiculously thick and cloudy (where's that fork?), the wheat/clove/citrus smells were unbelievable. Then, a sip...

Wham. I mean, WHAM! My tongue crapped it's pants (huh?) at all the flavors, couldn't believe it. Wheat, clove, grapefruit (citrus), a couple that were hard to identify (label boasts cinnamon, and BA reviewers say pepper...yes, pepper, and I'd have to agree). But the more it sat and warmed up, the citrus became first a tad too strong, then nearly overwhelming. There was something else that was in there too, couldn't put my finger on it...then, I started getting a swingin' buzz. Sure, I'd had only a banana to eat all day, and sure, I was probably a little too excited to drink, but geez, one beer and I'm already feeling it? So, did a little research, and I found the culprit:

9.6% ABV! Yikes! Most of my favs are in the 5%-6% range. It was the alcohol that was kicking my tonsels. Yesterday I popped another open, and could barely finish it, the citrus was so strong. Tonight, popped another to see how it tasted, and it was somewhere between the first and second bottles. So, I've got one left ("Unplugged" stuff only comes in 4's), for tomorrow, then my final judgment. For those who don't care for wheat because they have no bite, give this a try. Reviewers over at BA love it.

BTW-I ask my nice lady friend to try just about everything I get, and this stuff almost made her cry...or punch me. She's really not a fan of the bitters. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

BTW x2-Has anyone seen any of the Dancing Man Wheat? Dying to get my hands on some, but haven't seen it anywhere I get my stuff...and I've been all over looking for stuff.

Not sure if I should be telling people that.

I was just going to ask what everybody currently had in their fridge just to bump the thread. I'll start.

Sprecher

Heffe Weiss - what a surprise, I have a Weiss in the fridge

Black Bavarian

Imperial Stout

Hacker-Pschorr Weisse

Leinenkugles Summer Shandy

Guinness Extra Stout

and one lone McEwans Scotch Ale - nobody liked it so it as just been hanging out for a while

I blame Wang.

Thank you fstorm & logan.? Yikes, page 4?!? Not the opposite of uncool.

I submit my head bowed in shame... tonight I'm drinking Milwaukee's Best Ice.? Because I want to, ALRIGHT?!?!@?!@#!?~!!!

Which leads me to...

Beer/dorky

?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived